selling brunswick townhouse

hey guys, i am selling my 3 bed twnhse in brunswick (vic), i currently live in canberra, just had a new baby and want to sell up to settle here. I have the house tennanted to early march next year. I would like to sell before the FHOG ends, is that a good idea?
or am i better to wait till the house is untennented.
1 agent said auction, the other thought private sale is much better for tennented properties, any thoughts?
a question about a selling agent. We have been offered 2.5% plus 5000 for advertising by the same agent we use as our property managers. They are good but dont seem to have anything on their books in brunswick. And they dont have an office there. I spoke with another local agent, (office in brunswick) who offered a 2.2% plus 1800 advertising. They have lots of brunswick properties. Is it better to use a local agent? but i am worried it might just be easier to use the same agent that already has the relationship with the current tennants?
what sort of % deal should you hope for, do you need to hagle for this?
also, my wife has spoken with some sort of agent who acts on our behalf and finds a real estate for us, they get paid by a commision from the agent we choose, anyone delt with them before?
i am sure its obvious but yes i am a newbie to this forum and dont have any buisness sense.:(
thanks for any advice,
cheers.

Last edited:
I would like to sell before the FHOG ends, is that a good idea?
Personally I don't like the idea of ever selling, however, if you must AND the property is in the FHB price range, then yes, sell before 31 Dec 09 at least.

or am i better to wait till the house is untennented.
Not necessarily. No rent coming in = desperate vendor (you). Depends on the tenant. If they are agreeable and can do 4 x Open for Inspections on the Saturdays pre-auction - leave them in place. If they cause trouble - evict them.

1 agent said auction, the other thought private sale is much better for tennented properties, any thoughts?
Melbourne is the auction capital :)

another local agent, (office in brunswick) who offered a 2.2% plus 1800 advertising.
That sounds better. $5K on advertising in unnecessary in my opinion.

Is it better to use a local agent?
No necessarily. Its all internet advertising these days.

but i am worried it might just be easier to use the same agent that already has the relationship with the current tennants?
I can see the dilema. But it is just business really. Why not haggle the pice to something you agree upon if you want to use the managing agent?

what sort of % deal should you hope for,
2.2% isn't bad

do you need to hagle for this?
Why not?

All the best with the sale. Post a link when you get the advert online.

austy, welcome to the forum.

i would definitely deal with an agent in the area. brunswick is quite an intricate place, a lot of investors like it and a lot of people like to rent there. this is important because an established agent would already have a list of investors in the contact list and will spruik it to them.

can you tell us a bit more about the property? may help us give you an indication on expectations from an agent and from the market.

some things which may help:

- type (house, unit, flat)
- bedrooms
- location to transport
- rent
- expected price
- land size (house)

the FHOG market is still there and bigger than a year ago, so still plenty of chance to capitalise. If you are after a fair price there is always a buyer out there.

also just watch if the % fee and advertising costs include GST or not. to an agent GST means nothing because the don't keep it - to you it means another 10% of sales costs.

Cheers

Ben

3 bed twnhose, 1 bath, 1 ensuite, approx 10yrs old, small courtyard, x1 offstreet parking, on brunswick rd (unit is off the main road, 1 row of houses in front).

Good to hear you went with Carl, i will definitely consider using him when i sell the brunswick house. Can i ask if he was willing to negotiate the commission? What fee did you agree to? Please send a PM if you'd prefer not to disclose on public forum.

Back