Selling old wine - Penfolds Grange

Hi all,

I have some bottles of 1976 (Bin 95, 25th Commemorative Release) Penfolds Grange Hermitage wine that I am wanting to sell, but really have no idea how to go about it.

Whilst we enjoy a glass or two of wine, we are far from wine buffs and feel the wine would be wasted on us.

I am aware that Penfolds do "clinics" that rate the wines, but they dont come to Perth that often, and I am not sure if it necessary to have the bottles tested.

Does anyone know the best way to sell this wine?

Cheers,
Nadia

I don't know how they do about wine. But ebay may be your best bet.

But Google. On my quick Google, the minimum price is $724 nper bottle with a stained label.

I heard a story once about somebody who was demonstrating simple recipes. She demonstrated pears in red wine.

She got a response a few days later from someone complaining that the result was bad.

The demonstrator was surprised, but asked what sort of wine she had used.

She showed the label.

It was a Penfolds Grange, 25 years old- a wedding gift. But she did not drink wine, and knew nothing about its value.

Yeah my uncle laments the day his brother wandered into the room singing the virtues of the para port from the bar that he just knocked the top off - worth around $20k today apparantly?

i heard a story about a wine buff purchasing a 6 figure bottle for investment reasons, they had a glass case built for it to show and tell. the down light was left on one w/end and when they came home the heat had pushed the cork out! lol !

I've seen wines sell at antiques auctions before. I think its an 11% fee that goes to the auctioneer.

I bought a carton of vodka at an auction a couple of years ago for about $6 bottle. We hadnt heard of the brand (Petrov) so we thought it must have been cheap & used most of it in vodka jelly shots.

Turns out someone saw it selling for around $60 a bottle - glad the shots were yum!

Cheers
Stella

Back