Selling with same REA as PM

Is better in general to sell through the same agent as you have as your PM? I'm thinking of selling my IP & have tenants in place until April, 2012. Just wondering if it would be less messy all round to have the same agency manage the sale too???

I would have thought so but in reality they don't talk to each other.

I bought a unit that was sold and leased through the same agency.

I asked the agent if the rent would change to me upon settlement and he said yes. I gave them my bank details etc. A month later- no money.

The leasing agent didn't even know it was for sale (or sold). In hindsight I shouldn't have assumed it would be done. Months of phone calls, Emails etc. Finally got my money.

That seems pretty slack, but I guess it shouldn't surprise me really. The agent I'm with is pretty small, the PM is the wife of the owner & the son is the main sales person, so hopefully there would be some cross communication, but I'll have to think about it now.

Sel through the agent who's going to give the best results for you. I got an extra $12K plus by using a different agent to my PM.

Sel through the agent who's going to give the best results for you. I got an extra $12K plus by using a different agent to my PM.

I wish I had a crystal ball to know which agent would give the best results, they all seem to be much of a muchness and I don't trust any of them.

I wish I had a crystal ball to know which agent would give the best results, they all seem to be much of a muchness and I don't trust any of them.

Agree.... it is certainly hard to tell iwth any certainty who will get you the highest price

As the PM managing your property has knowledge of the tennants and possibly knows / trusts the tennants and vice versa I would have though generally it is better to go with them at least if they think they can manage the tennants that is.

A third party arranging visits inspections will find that process harder I would have thought without all the forms of contact a managing agent has usually put in place with a tennant, emails, phone, mobiles, spouses phone etc to arrange last minute inspections etc.

As the PM managing your property has knowledge of the tennants and possibly knows / trusts the tennants and vice versa I would have though generally it is better to go with them at least if they think they can manage the tennants that is.

A third party arranging visits inspections will find that process harder I would have thought without all the forms of contact a managing agent has usually put in place with a tennant, emails, phone, mobiles, spouses phone etc to arrange last minute inspections etc.

That pretty much sums up my initial thoughts in a nutshell.

Back