Sewer and water charges for townhouse - is tenant pay for those?

Hi,

We have been looking at buying a townhouse as an IP. For units/apartments the sewer and water charges are aid by the owner but “someone” told me that for townhouses the tenant are paying for them – is that correct?

Thanks

j

In Qld, so long as a property is certified water efficient, SOME water usage charges can be passed on to the tenant. As far as I know sewerage charges are the responsibility of the landlord no matter what type of property. Your PM will do the maths.
Marg

Hi,

We have been looking at buying a townhouse as an IP. For units/apartments the sewer and water charges are aid by the owner but “someone” told me that for townhouses the tenant are paying for them – is that correct?

Thanks

j
I can't comment on townhouses, but we have a couple of IP's up there and one we had the water efficiency test done and approved, so we had written into the lease that they cover water usage.

The other is not water efficient approved, so they just have to pay for any water use over the maximum property usage allowance as stated on the Urban Utilities statement. If they stay under the max, then they don't pay anything.

Sewerage ..... No idea about this.

Mystery

But really, why do you care? The financial peanuts you're talking here won't change your portfolio accumulation strategy, will it? If you were buying freeholds on swimming centres it might be another matter . . . .

But really, why do you care? The financial peanuts you're talking here won't change your portfolio accumulation strategy, will it? If you were buying freeholds on swimming centres it might be another matter . . . .

It might not matter much in $$ terms but it indicates a lack of understanding across the entire Residential Tenancies Act which will create more costly misunderstandings of his rights/obligations.

It might not matter much in $$ terms but it indicates a lack of understanding across the entire Residential Tenancies Act which will create more costly misunderstandings of his rights/obligations.

Yes indeed, I completely agree with you there. Every investor should know the Act. I personally have it tatooed across my entire body. Legislative 'update' has taken on an altogether new meaning for me. :eek:

Sorry of my stupid question, I am new to property investment. May I know how to get the certified water efficient? As I have been living in the unit so I thought owner has to pay for the water bills, since my tenant is a real estate agent, he also advised me to pay for the water bills when we sign the contract. If the water bill is $300 for a quarter, I am still okay with it....However, I really can not afford a $500 water bills for a month.....:(

My house was settled on 28/1/2012 and I just got the bill for the period of 30/11/2011 - 27/2/2012 $650 in total. I got $150 credit for the settlement adjustment. So the net amount is $500 for a month bill. The house was vacant for 4 months before I bought the house. And my tenant just moved in on 1/2/2012. My tenant has consumed 250kL for a month, solely water usage costs me $450 for a month. The house is only 100 sqm, and the previous quarter was only $320 for a quarter including water rates.... So I really want to know how to take a legal step to pass on the water usage to the tenant upon the expiry of the 6 months contract. THanks all

Sorry of my stupid question, I am new to property investment. May I know how to get the certified water efficient? As I have been living in the unit so I thought owner has to pay for the water bills, since my tenant is a real estate agent, he also advised me to pay for the water bills when we sign the contract. If the water bill is $300 for a quarter, I am still okay with it....However, I really can not afford a $500 water bills for a month.....:(

My house was settled on 28/1/2012 and I just got the bill for the period of 30/11/2011 - 27/2/2012 $650 in total. I got $150 credit for the settlement adjustment. So the net amount is $500 for a month bill. The house was vacant for 4 months before I bought the house. And my tenant just moved in on 1/2/2012. My tenant has consumed 250kL for a month, solely water usage costs me $450 for a month. The house is only 100 sqm, and the previous quarter was only $320 for a quarter including water rates.... So I really want to know how to take a legal step to pass on the water usage to the tenant upon the expiry of the 6 months contract. THanks all

There is no need to get "certified" water efficient (in fact there is no certification as such). Just get the entry inspection report to note that water efficient taps and shower head etc are installed.

READ THE ACT.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/act+42+2010+cd+0+N

Back