Share broker

Hi I am not sure if this is the right place for this but I have just sold a property and looking at putting a small amount of the profits into shares. Can anyone recommend a good share broker in Melbourne and are there any forums like this for shares.

Thanks

Silas

Hi,

There is a share forum here which has a fair bit of information on it.

As for stock brokers, your choice will depend on whether you want the broker to provide you with stock advice, or whether you want to pick the stocks yourself and only use the broker to complete the transaction and for market research.

Check out this ASX article for help with finding a broker that suits your needs. It is usually a lot cheaper to use an online broker instead of phone or in person, as the price of online trades are a lot lower than phone/in person, at some brokerage firms they can start at around $16 per trade.

I don't personally use any brokers for advice, but use CommSec and E Trade for my research and online trades.
A few of the better online brokers are -

CommSec
E Trade
HSBC
NAB
Rivkin

Hope this helps.

Hi

I use Ron Galea at EL & C Baillieu. I find Ron is patient with people and shares knowledge easily. He has helped me quite a bit.

Ron's direct phone number is 9602 9276 and his email address is [email protected]

Cheers

Dale

thanks Nimee, Folken and Dale,

I appreciate the help. I am looking at a full service broker as the only shares I have are a few Telstra ones so shares are a whole new area for me.

Silas

Originally posted by silas

I appreciate the help. I am looking at a full service broker as the only shares I have are a few Telstra ones so shares are a whole new area for me.

Silas

Silas,

If shares are a new area for you, I would recommend paper trading for awhile first so you get a feeling for how well your rukles & disposition suit share trading.

Frankly I'm not a very good share trader, as an entrepreneur I am a rule maker & breaker, not a rules-follower. Generally I've found that I trade too often & get too passionate about my investments....People like that (me) need to work a lot harder to be successful in shares.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Aceyduecy

Thanks for the help. I have started doing a little on paper. My strategy is more a buy and hold strategy than a trading strategy with shares. I am feeling that as I own more property I need to have a little more cash available for the what ifs which I trust will never happen. Particularly as we are looking at our next move in property being a development. Because of this I want to have a small amount in shares partly because of its liquidity and partly because it seems that the market must be due for a rise sometime soon. Any other sugestions would be welcome.

Silas

Hi Silas

Ron Galea is a full service broker, and then some . . .!!!

Dale

Originally posted by silas

Silas

Hi Silas,

If you are starting out in share investing then I think that you need to understand the rules of the game. I personally would not use a full service broker as having spoken and work with some of them I have a certain understanding of how they operate. That is not to say that there are not good ones just given your experience you might find it difficult to indentify them.

Just a comment on your investing strategy of buy and hold, you have to realise that shares are not like property. A good strategy for one is not necessarily good for the other. You need to have a more flexible strategy for shares than you do for property. So many people I know who buy "Blue Chip" shares and hold them for the long term only to find that those shares are not worth as much as they originally bought them for.

Investing for me means that my money has to be making money for me. "Losing" money on the stockmarket is seen more as a cost of doing business. If I buy a stock that doesn't move up (make me money) or worst move down there must be a point where I "Bite the Bullet" and sell out of that stock. If I don't then I am missing out on other opportunities in the market to make me money.

My one piece of advice is to learn how to become unemotional in your investing. It is just a means to an end.

Hi Silas,

If you haven't already done so i would apply for an account with one of the online brokers (free) and watch the market for a while, get a feel for what it does and when, and pick a few stocks and watch them daily for a while. The more you watch the market the better your predictions for it are likely to be.

You should also have a think about your strategy. You say you are more of a 'buy and hold' person, but you then go on to say you want shares because of the 'what ifs' and their liquidity. Shares are more liquid than property but just because you are actually able to sell them doesn't mean you should, if you are looking at buy and hold then your time frame should be a few years at least. If you need to quickly sell then you run the risk of selling when your shares are at a low point. Just some things for you to consider.

Back