Shares v Property... The winner is...

Hi Gang,

Add my vote for a Complimentary Sub-forum with emphasis on shares. I also agree that too many dedicated share forums are usally dominated by traders rather than investors.

In terms of not seeing stuff in sub forums I always just click on Today's Posts and can't even say I have ever taken any notice of which sub-forum it originated from. Basically I'm just skimming headings until one catches my interest.

Cheers - Gordon
PS: KeithJ - it's great to see you back here actively posting. I find your posts of great interest.

If we're gonna vote, let's axe a few.
The old forums - no one reads them and the questions answered therein are repeated anyway

Doing that is tantamount to bookburning.

One of the reasons why I haunt op-shops for old IP books is the different historical perspective old stuff provides. Though these may be by lesser-known people some of their ideas predate rehashings from more recent spruiker-celebrities.

Although this forum is younger than many of those books, even posts made in 2001 are not too recent to provide perspective.

Plus there's some great posts in the archives as well - you're too modest ;)

Peter

Doing that is tantamount to bookburning.

One of the reasons why I haunt op-shops for old IP books is the different historical perspective old stuff provides. Though these may be by lesser-known people some of their ideas predate rehashings from more recent spruiker-celebrities.

Although this forum is younger than many of those books, even posts made in 2001 are not too recent to provide perspective.

Plus there's some great posts in the archives as well - you're too modest ;)

Peter
Who said anything about post deleting?

Simply move the posts to another forum or an archive.

As MC mentioned above, what is the point of sticking everything share related into a separate sub forum, when much share talk relates to balancing a multi asset portfolio.

where would Peter Spann discuss his latest wealth creation seminar addressing portfolio balance between major asset classes, or his latest LIC or MF offering?

and if shares need their own sub forum, by the same logic so do cash, commodities, & collectibles.

As for missing good posts in multiple sub forums, I just click on "new posts" on the top nav bar.....and presume I am getting all "new posts".

What I'd actually like to see, is a more powerful search engine, so that I could search by capital city or suburb, and get posts that are ranked by context for that area. I find current search results deliver a lot of posts with poor context. Maybe google returns more sensitive results.

Last edited:
Maybe google returns more sensitive results.
If I want to search with better results than the primitive search provided in the forum, I use the google search
site:www.somersoft.com search_terms

It's no good for recent posts, as the site may not have been indexed in a few days, but can be much more effective than the inbuilt search for older posts.

I read this forum, a general investing one, a share forum and a games network forum.

Our users have posted a total of 1453991 articles
We have 46800 registered users
In total there are 439 users online :: 81 Registered, 26 Hidden and 332 Guests
Most users ever online was 1633 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:58 am

Now guess which form that was from?

Back