shed/workshop to granny flat cost

hello, just want to know if anyone can give an idea how much it costs to convert a shed to a GF in Perth.

details as follows,
shed is approx 55sqm. has plumbing and power already.
shouldn't be problems with setbacks > 900mm

hoping that the size can accommodate 2 bedroom, if not how much for 1 bed gf

lastly, what are usually done to convert shed into a habitable space.

thanks very much.

Also, i know that building from scratch is between 100-120k. Want to know if cheaper since some of the stuff has been done.

Last edited:
I did a similar project. It was a granny flat but just had the brickwork and roof done and slab. I had to finish it off with all the internal sheeting, tiling, installing kitchen and bathroom, and electrical and plumbing. The flat already had a outlet for the toilet and shower hooked up to the sewage. So that saved some cost. All up total cost was $5k.

I imagine non-diy would be a bit more than this...

converting a large shed into a gf

hi there,

I'm looking to get the similar thing done and I'm in the same position as you. If you could share your experience and share some building contacts it will really help me. There is already concrete slab and solid structure but only electricity is done with no sewer or gas and plumbing so all this would have to be done so I'm just looking for a suitable builder to get this shed conveted into a granny flat.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!:)

hi there,

I'm looking to get the similar thing done and I'm in the same position as you. If you could share your experience and share some building contacts it will really help me. There is already concrete slab and solid structure but only electricity is done with no sewer or gas and plumbing so all this would have to be done so I'm just looking for a suitable builder to get this shed conveted into a granny flat.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!:)

I am in the midst of this ATM, my budget is 5k so far I have spent 2k and have walls and bathroom in ( no exsisting plumbing) so if your dead keen you can do it for next to nothing, I might post a thread once completed, I think it's going to be the cheapest granny flat conversion in history, my shower cost me $50 brand new and my toilet cost me $15, my cabinetry cost me $40 and my walls were expensive at 600 lol

Did you do all the plumbing yourself? I.e Cutting up the slab and installing pipes? If so, well done!

I've done a GF conversion twice now. From start to finish (including all furniture bought etc) the first time was 27k, this time it will be about 20k. Did maybe 50% DIY and subbies in where required (carpenter, plumber, electrician mainly).

For a $250 or so per week return, you cant go wrong.

Back