Short term lease

Hi,

I've got a house that is now vacant. The house needs some repairs, including cracked floor and tiles in the bathroom. I am planning to demolish the house in the next few months.

I am now thinking to lease the house very cheaply, with the condition the tenant willing to accept the condition as it is.

I am thinking of making own agreement which a clause where the tenant accept the condition of the house as it is, and will not sue me for anything. Will I be able to do so? If let say the tenant hurts because of the cracked floor, will I have to be liable?

Hi,

and will not sue me for anything. Will I be able to do so? If let say the tenant hurts because of the cracked floor, will I have to be liable?

I don't think this is allowed in regular consumer law (to waive all liability), so I assume the same applies to rentals / realestate.

You are better off using the standard tenancy agreement available through Fair Trading.

You can put whatever you like in the condition report eg: cracked windows, broken door knobs, holes in walls etc. Just make sure that you don't make any promises to repair.

You'll have to ensure that taps, drains, hot water etc aren't leaking, electricity is safe.

And if you do need to repair it its likely non-deductible.

You may find a tenant happy to accept low rent who will even do some DIY repairs if you allow it. Win-Win

Back