Should christians love money so much ?!

Have few friends who are devoted christians, but I am a bit taken aback by the zest they love money. One used to do missionary work overseas, but now most of what he talks about is how to make money. Another colleague at work really squeezes every single dollar out of the company. I am sure there are non christians like this, but I thought the teaching of christ, or budda for that matter, is not to have too much fixation on earthy possessions. Everyone needs money to live on, but for me money is exactly that, no more, no less.

Last edited:
Hi bornfree,

A modern day Christian can do what ever he/she pleases in regards to their financial freedom etc. Why is it such a wrong thing for a Christian to want to own a row of shops?

DO you think that money is the root of all evil? Don't you want your family to not to have to ever worry about money?

Regards JO

I know a few christian quotes

judge ye not, lest ye be judged

its ok to burn people at the stake, but not ok to work and make a good life for your family ?

What does religion have to do with money?? And what does being financially successful have to do with a persons religion??

Truthfully I find your post just a little offensive. I am a christian - A Catholic to be exact, the first christian religion, foundation of them all.

So is in not alright for me to be 'into' money, finances, accumulating property???

And if so, then what makes me so different to all the other people on this forum of all different religions, and no doubt a few atheists as well?

No where in the bible does it say it is wrong to acquire wealth. There are a few mentions about certain attitudes and behaviours that may accompany the wealthy, but nothing to suggest being wealthy or having an interest in wealth, would in itself make a person a bad christian.

Pfft... not even worth commenting really, but I have a problem keeping my mouth shut.

I thought the teaching of christ, or budda for that matter, is to ignore earthy possessions. Everyone needs money to live on, but for me money is exactly that, no more, no less.

I can only comment from a Christian perspective, as I don't know the teachings of Buddha.

DO you think that money is the root of all evil?

This is a very common misquote. 1 Timothy 6:10 says "For the love of money is the root of all evil" In context, Paul was writing to Timothy, a preacher and helping him put things in perspective. To put the things of God first, and the things of earthly possession/everyday life, will take care of themselves. This does not mean sit at home and do nothing - one still needs to work to earn - but that God will assist one to attain natural needs if they put him first.

It's when passion for accumulation of wealth takes over - hence, the "love of money" - from one's love of Christ (or spiritual matters), that it is considered that one's life balance is upset.

So, while I tend to agree with rugrat that for a non-Christian looking on and judging/passing comment, it may not make sense, if one's life is "in balance" then accumulating wealth is not against the teachings of Christ. However, I've tried to explain this only at least from my point of view so that your question is given an answer of sorts.

Last edited:
Truthfully I find your post just a little offensive. I am a christian - A Catholic to be exact, the first christian religion, foundation of them all.
No offense intended. Not a criticism of any religion, just a bit of observation while sitting at home waiting to pick up my family from the movie.. If you read carefully, I said "I am sure there are non christians like this". The Catholic Church is the world's largest land holder, I believe. There is a difference between earning enough money to support your family, and the zealous love of money, like many TV 'evangelists'. I guess I could expand the topic a
bit and say why some people love money so much, and others don't.

Last edited:
A religious debate on the internet? This should be good.

I wouldn't be picking on Christians becoming wealthy, not before picking on priests, bishops, and the pope - I think that there was at least a couple of mentions about those guys being humanitarians that give absolutely everything they can.

I am not at all religious, so I may have a little trouble with what I am trying to say here, so please bear with me. Someone with a lot more knowledge than me is more than welcome to quote the exact words, but here is my (extremely) basic recollection of how it goes.

There is a quote somewhere in the bible that tells of a father (I think) that gives his three? sons a sum of money. They go out and one of them holds onto it, does nothing at all, but does not lose it. Another saves it and multiplies it slightly and the third goes and invests it, multiplying it greatly.

The father comes back and asks what they have done with the funds. He is unhappy with the first because he has held onto the money so tightly, worshipping it in fact, affraid to use it. The second, he says was also unworthy due to the fact that the money had not grown enough, and the third he is very happy with, showing that not only has he been a good steward of this money, but has made it work for him and grow substantially.

My (very) basic understanding is that you are unholy to NOT put your money to use. As a Christian you should strive to be able to invest to support yourself.

Let's take your Christian friend who does missionary work as an example. Imagine what good they could do if they had an income stream (maybe from their row of shops) that is passive. They could fund themselves to go wherever they want in the world to do whatever good works is their will.

My (very) basic understanding is that you are unholy to NOT put your money to use. As a Christian you should strive to be able to invest to support yourself.

Let's take your Christian friend who does missionary work as an example. Imagine what good they could do if they had an income stream (maybe from their row of shops) that is passive. They could fund themselves to go wherever they want in the world to do whatever good works is their will.

The actual story was about 3 servants of 1 master, but you got the point across! ;) And while this story is actually an analogy, where the money given are "gifts from God", and whether they were used or not, I think your interpretation has a lot of merit, particularly for non-spiritual people.

Your 2nd paragraph here is spot-on, in my view. Firstly, for those with families, our responsibility is to support the family. We can also use our money to support causes in which we believe, perhaps even making this world a better place.

And I personally believe that it is what one DOES with wealth, and WHY one accumulates wealth that are incredibly important in this "argument". To accumulate to be able to see larger numbers in a bank account or balance sheet is "the love of money"; to accumulate to provide assistance to family, causes, charity, etc, cannot be condemned.

Imagine what good they could do if they had an income stream (maybe from their row of shops) that is passive. They could fund themselves to go wherever they want in the world to do whatever good works is their will.

Your 2nd paragraph here is spot-on, in my view. Firstly, for those with families, our responsibility is to support the family. We can also use our money to support causes in which we believe, perhaps even making this world a better place.

Agreed. It is much easier to help those in need, when not in need yourself :)

You can't help the poor by being one of them

Lack centred messages of unworthiness, hate, lack and, poverty somehow being noble, that some (fundamentalist) franchises who have hijacked the true messages of religion to serve themselves and perpetuate their power base should be seen for what they are......manipulated messages used to program their mindless followers.

For example: does Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein represent the true message of Islam? :rolleyes:

The true message should be one of love, not hate; of wealth, not poverty; of abundance, not lack.

You cannot help the poor by being one of them. :)

Pretty hard to find that those pentacostal & hillsong types are not fixated on money and possessions when considering the amount of time & emphasis devoted to them.
Although they do tell that they need not worry about a certain percentage of their wealth but invest it with them and they will earn much more back some how or another.
Kinda reminds me of an Amway meeting...
"We love you!" "God loves you" "Spend with us for you own good (and god)"
"You can be like us, see our diamonds?" "And the nice cars" "Pay ehmm I mean pray to god and you too can bask & bathe in the jewels & glory of the gods"
"We love you more" "Did we mention God loves you too?"

Look Im not afraid to admit these thoughts wnder through my mind as well, don't think they are offensive, and I don't udnerstand everything perfectly clearly all the time. That's all I see it as.

okay don't want to dig into a deeper hole, does anyone know how to delete the thread ?

Hi Bornfree,

Not sure what you thought would happen bringing up religion and money in a thread.

Stephen Covey explains that everyone has a centre(s); spouse, family, money, work, possessions, pleasure and friend and/or friends (social). We all do our best to balance these however most of us mere mortals struggle and one or two of the centres general determine the decisions we make.

Whether we are Christian/Bhudist, Black/White, Male/Female, Rich/Poor we are subject to our centres.

There are people with no money who are still money focused. There are Christians who do not act in a Christian manner. That's life.

Regards

Andrew

Back