Should Elevated Ground Floor Apt be a security concern

Hi,
I am looking at a property in Dulwich Hill. The apartment is an elevated ground floor. Should I be concerned about purchasing this apartment as I intend on renting it out and am worried that the elevated position may be problematic for some people ? It is in a gated complex. Many Thanks

As you go into the property through the front door of the building you go up about 4 or 5 steps. So effectively the unit is ground floor, but not one that is totally flat to the ground. The unit is situated in a visible area that faces inwards to the complex pool and common grassed area,and the front door (and the balcony which face this direction) are the only possible entry points for any burglars. Not being a burglar myself - but trying to think like one, as the complex has a number of buildings (complex is gated) I would have thought that if someone was to break into the complex they would probably go for a less visible one ? But then again - maybe not ? Just trying to get a feel for what I should do...as I am a security freak and therefore cannot be reasonable with this decision (even though lots of people live on the ground floor is houses and townhouses). Any help is appreciated !

I once lived in a ground floor apartment on a fairly busy street. The apartment complex was brand new and we were one of the first ones in.

Anyway, a few weeks later there was a spate of robberies in my complex. Two apartments facing the street were hit, and a few others in the back (the 'secure part') were hit as well. It was an equal split between ground floor and first floor apartments.

The thieves robbed one ground floor apartment during the day while a woman and her young child were still inside and the first floor apartments at night.

Those on the first floor had probably kept their doors and windows unlocked. I'm guessing its easier to climb up a balcony than it is to break into a locked window or door?

There are stories of people who live 2-3 stories up and still have their places broken into.

So I wouldn't worry about it being ground floor, but the fact its facing the pool would put me off due to noise..

My friend on the 7th floor had her handbag stolen from her bedroom (while she was in the apartment) due to an unlocked door leading to the balcony!

Several other apartments were hit at the same time. There was a theory that the thief lived in a nearby apartment but nothing was ever proved.

On a slightly related matter. Does anyone living 11 floors up normally lock their balcony door? :)
medical downgrade 6 months CZE while bones knit
temporary pogue,
how does anybody do movement control as a permanent job, poor b*st*rds,
lived in an apartment on Queens rd, 12th floor, balconies
person did the side of the building. broad daylight swinging from the roof down to a balcony on a rope with a hook, across to the next one, down, across, down, etc,
took cash and small valuables in a bucket from 14 apartments,
to the third floor, where the tenants started locking the balcony doors
2 weeks later: 11 different apartments in the same building;
every one who watched him, dozens watched each time
thought he was a window cleaner

Last edited:
Husband home?

Attachments

• husbandhome.JPG
    husbandhome.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 93
Back