Should get ur attention: Subdivision to be banned in VIC

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/safe-as-houses/story-fndo4cq1-1226422941351

SUBDIVISIONS will be banned and much-loved big backyards protected under sweeping changes to save the family character of Melbourne neighbourhoods.

The biggest reform of planning controls in 30 years will see suburban neighbourhoods filled with sprawling family plots declared off-limits to new developments by the Baillieu Government today.

But less traditional residential areas will be thrown open for more apartments, small blocks and higher-density developments under planning zones intended to set clearer controls for councils about where and what sort of buildings will be allowed.

Planning Minister Matthew Guy said the strictest of the three new zones, the Neighbourhood Residential Zone, allowed councils to cap the number of homes allowed in an area as well as the size, height and lot size.

"This zone says, 'We are going to keep the backyard'," Mr Guy said.

Advertisement

"It is going to protect those areas of Melbourne which have strong neighbourhood character, to say there are areas where we can grow, and areas where we cannot."

The zoning changes explained in detail

A General Residential Zone will be created to mix "modest" new unit and townhouse developments in among existing homes, with councils having flexibility to approve taller or varied buildings.

Development will be pushed into the new Residential Growth Zone centred on areas such as train stations and shopping strips, where small blocks, high-density townhouses, with underground carparking, will be encouraged.

Areas earmarked for growth will also allow homes to be built without council approval on any lot bigger than 80sq m.

Eastern suburbs mum Jane loves her big backyard.

"We used to live in a townhouse with a tiny courtyard and the kids always seemed to be under my feet," she said. But her twins, Walter and Jemima, love their new leafy play space.

REZONING BY STATE GOVERNMENT

WHAT'S NEW

GENERAL RESIDENTIAL ZONE

Aim: Preserve character while allowing modest growth

Where: Most areas

Size: To Rescode standard

What: Mixture of single dwellings, villas, townhouses

Height limit: 9m except with council approval
W
NEIGHBOURHOOD RESIDENTIAL ZONE

Aim: Restrict growth in preservation areas

Where: Single dwellings prevail, areas of recognised character, environmental or landscape significance

Size: To Rescode standards

What: Single dwellings, some dual occupancy, councils can allow more than two dwellings

Height limit: 9m except with council approval

RESIDENTIAL GROWTH ZONE

Aim: Enable growth and diversity

Where Activity centres, eg railway stations

Size Up to three storeys

What: Townhouses, flats with underground parking

Interesting read there. I think it's only going to lead to problems. Subdivision isn't only just a thing for professional developers, but also mums and dads who are looking to make money for retirement / land not needed any more / financial issues etc.

By having the belt of land that isn't allowed to be touched, the outer suburbs which are allowed development are only going to turn high density and therefore adding extra strain to roads, resources, pressure for new suburbs. It sounds very back-to-front to me.

So can we presume that the outer zones, such as the green ones or R1Z will be changed to allow higher density? It will be interesting to see how this affects the current housing crisis, as it almost twists peoples' wrists into buying into outer suburbs when inner ones are no longer available.

I think this move is to protect certain streets from being subdivided and to push ppl more to other outer suburbs.

but it possibly can have an impact on prices. i know a few friends buying land in burwood and kew to do sub divisions - this kind of news might put them off especially if holding a 750-900sqm land without the potential to subdivide.

This is typical Baillieu policy - protect the big end of town and crush the smaller developers - just like his policy on setbacks for tall buildings.

The Neighbourhood Residential Zone category sounds like a charter for NIMBYs.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's a good idea overall. Australian cities suffer from sprawling suburbs, and encouraging higher density development strikes me as being a good thing.

I think this move is to protect certain streets from being subdivided and to push ppl more to other outer suburbs.

but it possibly can have an impact on prices. i know a few friends buying land in burwood and kew to do sub divisions - this kind of news might put them off especially if holding a 750-900sqm land without the potential to subdivide.

I think it definitely will have an impact on prices. Not sure where the new zonings apply but I'd bet my bottom dollar they are pretty much all in the inner-east suburbs like Toorak, Canterbury etc. The large blocks with a original period home there aren't usually able to be developed in many cases so they won't be impacted but no one will be able to command a developer's premium on vacant blocks anymore. Anything in that small-developer space of 1,000 sqm that can fit 3-4 units may be killed off by this.

Hi guys,
Any idea when this all comes into effect?
I've got a possible application to go in myself and would hate for this to hinder it! I've been burnt by changes before.
Cheers
Morty

So would this mean a Greenwedge Zone A would be able to be subdivided further down than the minimum of 2 hectares?

Just like super & tax - these policies get changed everytime a new party comes into power.... No doubt labour will change it back when they come back into power (whenever that may be). Regardless of which way they go, its just a shame that we can't get any stability.

Will the government changes over rule local council?

For example we are not allowed to divide our 10 acres into 2 five acre lots. I thought this was decided by our council not the government.

Will the public be able to view the new zones before it is implemented?

anyone knows if the government has already identified which zone is which area? is it on a map?
its annoying I am actaully in the process looking for a property to be subdivided in Mel middle eastern suburbs...............

I haven't heard anything official but they did mention Montmorency and Eltham on the news. That sucks because I live in Eltham on a 1200 block.

This is a typical weak government response to an overwhelming issue.

A few people get together and start a RAID (residents against inappropriate development) group and because they are noisy they get all the attention.

Meanwhile, the growing population is forced out into greenfield sites losing productive farmland. Cookie cutter subdivisions with no servicing are then built on land usually owned by the government. Surprise surprise. The government agency tasked with developing government land looks good because it is making a load of money.

Meanwhile the residents of these areas have no infrastructure, no servicing and are forced into commuting long distances by private car, simply because a bunch of people don't want another house next door to them.

Looks like it will be finalised in October. Not looking forward to re-learning all the zones and the planning restrictions that's for sure!

The Age article states "Planning Minister Mathew Guy did not identify in which suburbs the new residential zones would apply, leaving councils to largely make the decisions.". Not sure what to make of that comment. How is this different to the current process?

Back