should I be wary of this conveyancer

I got the contact of this conveyancer from a casual friend. I had him to check on several contract of sales. 4 or 5 months back, he started to recommend properties to me. Out of 1 that he recommended, he said that it is direct from owner and the owner happened to be his aunt.

I freaked out a little (conflict of interest as he should be representing me, the buyer) and cooled off from my property search. The property he recommended was never advertised anywhere, neither was it occupied (own stay or tenanted) till now.

Is this fishy? Or most conveyancer get kickback from somewhere or moonlighting?

no offence to anyone, convenyancers are not regulated from what I know.

But large sum of money pass through their hands. In my case, if I decided to buy, I will be handing over my downpayment to him!

no offence to anyone, convenyancers are not regulated from what I know.

But large sum of money pass through their hands. In my case, if I decided to buy, I will be handing over my downpayment to him!

Yes, they are. CONVEYANCERS LICENSING ACT 2003 NSW for instance.

Personally, I prefer to either use a solicitor or use a conveyancer who is attached to an actual law firm, as opposed to the plethora of freelance conveyancers. I haven't been burned personally but I've heard some stories and with a law firm at least you know they've got malpractice insurance etc. Nothing against freelance conveyancers but I just prefer to be a bit wary.

Besides the above, he shouldn't be recommending any properties to you.

His job is to review the contract/Section 32 and advise you of any issues.

No worries, macca446

The conveyancer in question is a freelancer.

Is there any act governing them in Victoria? You do not need a license to practice in Victoria, as I am told.

Sorry to rob your thread,has anyone used Slater and Gordon for conveyancing yet,if so how do you rate them.

thanks.
Macca446

aka conveyancing works?

i used them recently - ok to use for settlement but dont expect anything else. They were not pro-active at all, slow to respond, and they seem to work to a set formula.

My main issue was that one of my reports was not ordered in time despite me requesting it several times and the purchase went unconditional without it. There were some items in the report that i could have used to my advantage if it had arrived in time.

A lawyer I know described a conveyancer as a car mechanic with no hands. He see whats wrong but cant fix it. Arent you better off going to the mechanic (solicitor) first ?

The ONLY reason to choose a conveyancer is cost. For a reason.

Back