Should I bother?

I need to put an airconditioner in the 2nd bedroom of my unit shortly and was wondering, will new carpets increase the value of my property signifigantly? [rental yield and CG?]
Should I even bother?

Are you trying to decide between carpets and a/c? or just the timing of installation.

A/c in the 2nd bedroom of a rental?
Usually only in master bedroom.
Units rarely have both bedrooms with people sleeping in them. 2nd bedroom mostly an office or guest room. (but it depends on the climate were the rental is.... and you don't say your location)

Carpets. As a way of increasing rental yield? There are probably things renters perceive as more desireable than carpet. I wouldn't replace until necessary.

If I had to choose I would do a/c in certain areas but wouldn't recarpet if the floorings are serviceable. Imagine paying for new carpet so you can rent out at $10 more weekly, after 1 year tenant leaves. Carpets no longer in pristine condition and your next tenant doesn't want to pay the amt the previous tenant did.

I m in Darwin, its damn hot here and theres always been 2 tennants leasing this unit.

Up here, rents are high and most people dont want to pay the $270p/w asking price alone.

My manager has suggested it because it gets extremely hot here in the wet season, it would almost be murder without it and it will help keep vacancy rates down,

I do want to add value to yields and growth with other things but arent sure as to wheather or not I should bother putting in a new kitchen or bathroom, theres really nothing else in the unit.. just rooms. but the kitchen and bathroom are still good! I could do new fans..

Maybe I should just do fixtures and fittings for now because theyre the only things that are looking aged?

here's a few pics [please excuse the bad quality]

Im also wondering this, I had a depreciation report done a few months ago, if I replace all the fans and fittings, how does that affect things? do I need to pay for another one or do I take the receipts to my accountant at tax time?

Picture111.jpg

Picture113.jpg

Picture112.jpg

Picture114.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I m in Darwin, its damn hot here and theres always been 2 tennants leasing this unit.

Up here, rents are high and most people dont want to pay the $270p/w asking price alone.

My manager has suggested it because it gets extremely hot here in the wet season, it would almost be murder without it and it will help keep vacancy rates down,

I do want to add value to yields and growth with other things but arent sure as to wheather or not I should bother putting in a new kitchen or bathroom, theres really nothing else in the unit.. just rooms. but the kitchen and bathroom are still good! I could do new fans..

Maybe I should just do fixtures and fittings for now because theyre the only things that are looking aged?

If the unit has always had 2 tenants leasing, and it doesn't have an a/c now....maybe your PM just wants to spend your money.

Hi W2BW.

In my opinion, air-con should add a bit more value, but more importantly, it will make the unit more appealing to future tenants.

If someone looking to rent has the choice of a unit with air-con or without, guess which one they'll take (depending on asking rent).

So this in turn should lead to less vacancy time for you.

Don't forget, the A/C is depreciable too.

Regards
Marty

Why looking to spend more money unless something needs replacing/repairing/maintaining. ie fly screens tear....

Could regrout that bathroom. It will look as though it has been retiled! New grout looks cleaner, a positive for tenants. (maybe it just looks gray on my monitor)

The way you keep asking about adding value?..., um just a thought but are you approaching it like an owner when aiming for max price when selling?
Or a landlord making a property attractive to tenants.

I would approach each quite differently.
Maximising yield is one thing.
Adding value for resale another
And increasing lvr to use the equity another beast again.

Just some thoughts...

Ceiling fans, dehumidifier. built in wardrobes, carport, pergola, out door entertaining

Place looks good from the pics, looks like you where painting, which is the biggest bang for bucks.

What about a big split system 2.5hp air con and cool the whole unit down.

I was going to suggest new metal knobs and handles but the ones in the kitchen look good.

go and have a look at some units that rent for more, copy someone else.

cheers
quoll

I would regrout the bathroom (especially the area around the basin, the grout looks very tired in that photo). Or maybe just use one of the those white grout pens - not that I have had much luck with them though :rolleyes:

I would say a huge YES to aircon - I use to live in Townsville and couldn't live without it there - I can't imagine what it would be like in Darwin. At the very least ceiling fans.

And, by the way, your floor tiles look great!

Michelle.

I would regrout the bathroom (especially the area around the basin, the grout looks very tired in that photo). Or maybe just use one of the those white grout pens - not that I have had much luck with them though :rolleyes:

I would say a huge YES to aircon - I use to live in Townsville and couldn't live without it there - I can't imagine what it would be like in Darwin. At the very least ceiling fans.

And, by the way, your floor tiles look great!

Michelle.

Thanks for the tile comment ;]
My PM sees it differently, on the cond report she wrote "aging with some chips"... the grout in the bathroom just looks like that in the pic.

Hi W2BW,

I also agree that the grouting needs to be redone. It looks like it was originally done in a dark colour but it makes the tiles look dirty and aged even though they are probably really clean.

Bronwyn.

Back