Should I move to the US?

http://www.lasvegascondomania.com/REGENCY-TOWERS.php

Or these ones :p

Not my cup of tea due to how many tenants live in the area (I've heard very few would be an overstatement).

Edit, found this snippet on Forbes, essentially saying Las Vegas has 16% tenancy vacancy rate:
Still, empty neighborhoods are becoming an increasingly daunting problem across the country. The national rental vacancy rate now stands at 10.1%, up from 9.6% a year ago; homeowner vacancy has edged up from 2.8% to 2.9%. Richmond, Va.'s rental vacancy rate of 23.7% is the worst in America, while Orlando's 7.4% rate is lousiest on the homeowner side. Detroit and Las Vegas are among the worst offenders by both measures--the Motor City sports vacancy rates of 19.9% for rentals and 4% for homes; Sin City has rates of 16% and 4.7%, respectively.

Last edited:
I would only consider buying US property if I could get a US$ denominated loan for 80%. I would not invest aussie $s there.

Yep it's true alright, I saw stuff on it myself and I see a few other threads about it around here too. Allot of them were 4 and 500k only a yr or two ago, some a lot more.
I reckon you couldn't go wrong myself who cares if you mightn't rent it out for awhile . it's only 35k .

Can someone post us some links of good condos in nice areas selling for that price? ie. US$35k?

But surely Las Vegas will be back to it's old self when things come good over there , even if that's a few years off ?
If it's 16% occupancy then there's still 80% around , that's still a lot of people so the place must be doing some business .

Cheers

ps , actually friends are at the poker tournament this week , runs 10 days . When they get back I'll ask them how things are looking there right now . They enter every year and do the whole 10 days so they'll be bloody good indicators .

Last edited:
Can someone post us some links of good condos in nice areas selling for that price? ie. US$35k?

There were links and threads right here in the forum , just do a bit of a search or better yet , do a quick net Vegas realestate search, should pop them up everywhere .

But surely Las Vegas will be back to it's old self when things come good over there?

Why? The flaw in your logic is that you are assuming everything reverts to the mean, that nothing changes. If I were to point out that Aus property prices should revert to the mean of X3 times average wages you would object and say "It's different this time!" It's always different and this time it might be fatal for Vegas.

If you follow the mess that is the US economy you would realise that there is no way they can meet their outstanding obligations, domestically or internationally so when equilibrium is reached again they will be a lesser power than they are now. Lesser will mean poorer which means desert towns may die.

What currency will you use? RE generally will recover some day in nominal terms but the mighty greenback may be a shadow of itself by then so your once good A$ will have shrunk. Unless you can borrow in US$ don't even think about it.

And your right SF . No' one , definately don't listen to me on anything US , I don't have much in depth real knowledge of the US at all , that's why I'm always asking about it it's fascinating from a far .

You would just imagine it will recover but hey , maybe not from what your saying, I'm here to learn so go for your life.

They didn't need this oil sprout business either did they eh poor bugars , what a kick in the head at a time like this , that's gonna get v/serious I'd say .

Cheers

Why? The flaw in your logic is that you are assuming everything reverts to the mean, that nothing changes. If I were to point out that Aus property prices should revert to the mean of X3 times average wages you would object and say "It's different this time!" It's always different and this time it might be fatal for Vegas.

If you follow the mess that is the US economy you would realise that there is no way they can meet their outstanding obligations, domestically or internationally so when equilibrium is reached again they will be a lesser power than they are now. Lesser will mean poorer which means desert towns may die.

What currency will you use? RE generally will recover some day in nominal terms but the mighty greenback may be a shadow of itself by then so your once good A$ will have shrunk. Unless you can borrow in US$ don't even think about it.

Absolutely correct Sunfish. The great empires of history have always destroyed themselves financially, and America has done that in 50 years whereas most in history have taken centuries.

There is no political will to restore financial sanity and put in motion what needs to be done to avoid collapse.

Where will this all lead? My personal opinion is war. The elite believe there are too many people on this earth and need to be culled, and a war will be manufactured that kills tens of millions in order to restore economic balance. The longer the world is encumbered with debt, the more likely a major war breaking out in the next decade or so.

Where will this all lead? My personal opinion is war. The elite believe there are too many people on this earth and need to be culled, and a war will be manufactured that kills tens of millions in order to restore economic balance. The longer the world is encumbered with debt, the more likely a major war breaking out in the next decade or so.

maybe, but not for thast reason.

"restoring the balance" as you put it would see the loss of $gazillions in tax revenue.

why do you think women were actively encouraged go get into the workforce, and are now looking at getting back to work immediately after having a child? tax revenue - and more of it. it's all social mindset, driven by media.

I'm way too involved in this thread for somebody that really knows nothing concrete US but anyway.

I do think some of this is a touch negative because , there are a lot of Aussie guru's buying up over there right now don't forget and these guys do their research . Food for thought !

Cheers

why do you think women were actively encouraged go get into the workforce, and are now looking at getting back to work immediately after having a child? tax revenue - and more of it. it's all social mindset, driven by media.
The Illuminati is credited with that. :eek:

i had no idea. I remember hearing David Rockefeller mention he'd pass anything that raises tax revenue and that he was behind the movement.

maybe, but not for thast reason.

"restoring the balance" as you put it would see the loss of $gazillions in tax revenue.

Since when do the poor and unemployed = $tax revenue

No, they are considered a cost...

Anyone see the US employment numbers out today? Scary!

450,000 jobs added last month, 95% of them public census hiring. There is no recovery people, the only thing maintaining the illusion is govt. deficit spending.

How long before that tap is switched off? With european debt contagion now spreading to Hungary, America on the edge of a cliff...what does that mean for China...and in turn what does that mean for Australia?

I'm way too involved in this thread for somebody that really knows nothing concrete US but anyway.

I do think some of this is a touch negative because , there are a lot of Aussie guru's buying up over there right now don't forget and these guys do their research . Food for thought !

Cheers

please offer details i converse with the usa every night ...dam news to me

Anyone see the US employment numbers out today? Scary!

450,000 jobs added last month, 95% of them public census hiring. There is no recovery people, the only thing maintaining the illusion is govt. deficit spending.

How long before that tap is switched off? With european debt contagion now spreading to Hungary, America on the edge of a cliff...what does that mean for China...and in turn what does that mean for Australia?

how many new unemployment signings ..its alot worse than that

how many new unemployment signings ..its alot worse than that

Right...so based on all these things seemingly turning into a "perfect storm" scenario...is it time to pay off debt?

Should we halt on accumulation and pay down debt fast and begin purchasing again once we are on the other side of this thing?

Whats the consesus?

What's the consesus?

Seriously, you cannot expect "consensus" on a single themed site such as this to be meaningful.

But, to be fair, "consensus" is meaningless anyway, no matter how wide you get your input. I'm trying to remember John K Galbraith's dismissal of "common wisdom". Someone may be able to let us know, but he was pretty scathing.

The best you can do is to read widely and over time find some (never just one that you hang on every word) that you can trust.

For what it's worth the people I trust (US based, unfortunately) are talking cash, gold and "getting out of debt".

Edit: I found this: According to Galbraith, common wisdom is generally neither common nor wise. But there was more.

Back