Should I move to the US?

Right...so based on all these things seemingly turning into a "perfect storm" scenario...is it time to pay off debt?

Should we halt on accumulation and pay down debt fast and begin purchasing again once we are on the other side of this thing?

Whats the consesus?

hahaha

concensus + somersoft = paradox

please offer details i converse with the usa every night ...dam news to me

Sorry Urban , haven't been back to this one for awhile
I don't have time to go back through emails or posts in clubs for names & details but from memory , Gillian is one, few others too, have seen bits & pieces through the clubs & emails over last 12 mths.
Just do a buying US search here & in others

Sorry Urban , haven't been back to this one for awhile
I don't have time to go back through emails or posts in clubs for names & details but from memory , Gillian is one, few others too, have seen bits & pieces through the clubs & emails over last 12 mths.
Just do a buying US search here & in others

i talk to people every night on a investment forum in the usa .(recommend it to all to keep well ahead) they are on the ground living it ..trust me you want no part of it things are still dropping and from what i seen is another huge wave about to hit

yeah i'm waiting for the comm stuff to come off their 5 years fixed and see what happens.

what forum do you subscribe to urban?

kitco is gold forum so is some what gold oreintated ..but everything is talked about .some very good people too '

im just a hippy made good these guys are lawyers doctors etc . worth looking at .

what gold and silver i have is bought with not needed money .
well i wont need for years . but the info there is valuable very ///

I occasionally take a look at a website called The Value of Architecture, which lists a selection of architecturally important or interesting properties for sale in the US. There are currently a brace of Frank Lloyd Wright houses in LA up for grabs.

Some of the prices are looking less optimistic than they once were. The Ennis House was originally listed at $15 million, and is now down to $10.5 million.

(If it drops by another $10 million then I might be interested. :D)

What would worry me about the US in the medium term is that they're running a government deficit of almost Grecian proportions, and yet there's been no talk of austerity measures. In comparison the EU is getting hammered for its profligacy, despite the Eurozone having a better position overall, and is now tightening the screws. At some point the markets are going to wake up to this.

I saw this article on the Daily Reckoning the other day, which claims that 14% of all US mortgages are either in arrears or default, and that a number of borrowers are simply not making payments.

I don't know how accurate it is, and I believe that the site is big on the Doom and Gloom side of things, so take it with a pinch of salt. That said, even Morgan Stanley is posting the keys back (see here), so who knows how bad it is...

Aaron, I agree about the link - a friend who's a fan of mid-century design passed it onto me.

Great site - made my heart ache.

Bit off topic but...on that website the Lucien Design Group reno 3rd down in the San Francisco group of listings is an Eichler house (special design of mass built houses based on the principles of Frank Llloyd Wright). I lived in an Eichler house for 20 years not far from this one. It is amazing to see how they've left the integrity of the original design and turned it into a 21 century stunner.

I'm an Australian who lived and worked in America for many years, and there are a ton of misconceptions on this thread.
First... America is an incredible place to live, it has a vibrant culture and really is the 'land of opportunity', more so than Australia. It's the world's biggest economy; it is a military superpower; the center of science and technology research and development; in terms of any cultural activity you care to name whether it's movies, books, music, whatever it's the centre; it's simply the superpower of our time.
Right now, it's going through economic turmoil with unemployment rising and so on. however if any country was likely to bounce back it will be the USA as it is the world's largest possessor and produce of IP; it has infrastructure that would boggle your mind; and a highly skilled population.
As for the crime, some cities are bad, but I lived in one of the high crime cities (memphis) for a while, and all the crime is located in poor neighbourhoods. Most of the city is perfectly safe. it's not somalia.
Finally, the simple fact is that, outside a few expensive areas like LA and New York, you can buy a really beautiful house in a nice neighbourhood a lot cheaper than you can in Australia. That's just the truth. There's no catch. The reason is twofold. economy of scale; and in many places, far more relaxed planning regulations.

Finally, the simple fact is that, outside a few expensive areas like LA and New York, you can buy a really beautiful house in a nice neighbourhood a lot cheaper than you can in Australia. That's just the truth. There's no catch. The reason is twofold. economy of scale; and in many places, far more relaxed planning regulations.

because comparitive wages are lower and there's a glut of property.

you can buy cheap, but don't expect it to "not be cheap" one day while owning it.

because comparitive wages are lower and there's a glut of property.

you can buy cheap, but don't expect it to "not be cheap" one day while owning it.

Cheap property is not suddenly a new phenomenon in the USA. It's even cheaper now but what Munroe R says is true - there has always been very affordable housing in very nice places to live.

Like Sunfish i too am contemplating shifting to the States. My only stoppage would there lovely health system..ahhh thanks but definately no thanks!

Instead i think ill just flying there every couple of months to get hammered. Anyone know much about Florida or Houston. Certainly keen to buy up in the US of A if things look good when i go next year.

Yes, if anyone can name some decent US property forums I would be interested in viewing them. Please list. The forums I have found to date have had limited members and input.

Like Sunfish i too am contemplating shifting to the States. My only stoppage would there lovely health system..ahhh thanks but definately no thanks!

Instead i think ill just flying there every couple of months to get hammered. Anyone know much about Florida or Houston. Certainly keen to buy up in the US of A if things look good when i go next year.

Ive heard its incredibly difficult to get a working visa or such in the US. Its like a lottery draw.

Ive heard its incredibly difficult to get a working visa or such in the US. Its like a lottery draw.

My impression that seasonal work (such as snow resorts) were quite easy to get work at? Someone who's done it recently may be able to advise, hopefully.

No probs for me, I'm retired.:D

But Mrs Fish wouldn't go so I'm talking through my hat really. I don't want to live under a communist regime here. I don't like the American system either but I could remain detached from it, I think.

But surely Las Vegas will be back to it's old self when things come good over there , even if that's a few years off ?
If it's 16% occupancy then there's still 80% around , that's still a lot of people so the place must be doing some business .

Cheers

ps , actually friends are at the poker tournament this week , runs 10 days . When they get back I'll ask them how things are looking there right now . They enter every year and do the whole 10 days so they'll be bloody good indicators .

No probs for me, I'm retired.:D

But Mrs Fish wouldn't go so I'm talking through my hat really. I don't want to live under a communist regime here. I don't like the American system either but I could remain detached from it, I think.

She changed her mind yet SF? I'm doing a road trip to end all road trips in The US next year. I'll be driving the entire PCH(pacific coast highway) of America! With a friend. Planning to do one of those lovely foreclosure tours they have of new estates in Los Angeles California. Cali and Nevada got obliterated following the GFC.. Should be interesting... Tickets paid last week so can't wait

Back