Should I use Gumtree??

Hi All
Have a black leather lounge, like new, paid $6,000 for it some 5 years ago, never been used, just sitting in a room, because we shifted house after purchase and it never really suited any of the living/lounge areas. Its Italian leather, stylish/elegant, ITAL is the make which is a subsidiary of Natuzzi.

I just want it gone.

My question is would it be realistic to sell at $3000 on gumtree, is there another way which may achieve better result. Seems most of the stuff on gumtree is pretty cheap.

thanks
MTR:)

Hi All
Have a black leather lounge, like new, paid $6,000 for it some 5 years ago, never been used, just sitting in a room, because we shifted house after purchase and it never really suited any of the living/lounge areas. Its Italian leather, stylish/elegant, ITAL is the make which is a subsidiary of Natuzzi.

I just want it gone.

My question is would it be realistic to sell at $3000 on gumtree, is there another way which may achieve better result. Seems most of the stuff on gumtree is pretty cheap.

thanks

There is no harm in trying on Gumtree, I have sold things there, it seems that the demographics are mostly interested in buying cheap stuff, mostly students, young people, backpackers use gumtree, so not sure if any of them are willing to invest in an italy couch at that price

Doesn't hurt to try. It costs nothing to list so what's the worst that can happen? No one responds to your ad or you get low ball offers? Meh, big deal. Next.

I've used gumtree for quite a few things. I sold a lot of camera gear on there, listed for more than I wanted for it and I had takers for it which I was quite surprised about. Tried selling some silver jewellery on there, mainly for scrap value and no takers.

I'm about to sell a leather lounge on gumtree myself so be interesting to see how you go.

To add, I've also bought a bit off it too. Demographics is a huge part like LoneWolf said, but not also people looking for cheap stuff.

I had to furnish my house and got a couple of items off gumtree. One being a replica coffee table in as new condition. Paid $500 for it with new price being about $600 but the shipping here is the killer. I was happy to pay that for the item.

Ebay would probably be better, MTR.
My friend sold her hardly used Italian leather lounge set for $3000
The buyers were so happy with it, they said you just can't get these sets anymore ....unless you pay 7-8k so I think there's a good market for them...

I've sourced my half-leather lounge set and hardwood dining set on ebay :cool:
Ebay is the first place I look to when I want to buy a big-ticket item like that
Buyers know that sellers on ebay are genuine about the sale e.g. sellers have to pay listing prices and commission to ebay for the sale and they say in the description they are moving house to an apartment, don't have space anymore for the item etc...

People can search in ebay saying they want to look at leather lounges 10 or 20km or 30km from them so the interstate ones will be listed last.
I recommend putting a fixed price for them rather than the auction format.
Lots of nice photos and a great description will do the trick nicely, I reckon....:)

I wouldn't expect to get 3000 . Be pushing to get 1000-1500 . We furnished our weekender partially from gum tree . Teak outside settings new over 3 k 600. - 1000. Dinner table - probably 3 - 4 k new with 8 chairs v g condition 400 etc

Stuff that is "reasonably priced " sits there from my observation.

Cliff

I do use both e-bay and gumtree to buy/sell. As Beanie Girl said, ebay may give you a higher price.

I had a very bad experience with ebay (via paypal payment). Sold an item, only got about $10 for it. Then, the buyer reject the payment via his credit card. That in tern reversed the paypal. Short of it is, I ended up loosing $10 as well as had to pay $75 of admin fees. What a deal.

These days, I put cash only when I sell stuff.

Try gumtree first. If not, try eBay.

Personally, I love gumtree for buying and selling. I have never bought anything from eBay.

The buyers were so happy with it, they said you just can't get these sets anymore ....unless you pay 7-8k so I think there's a good market for them...

Ebay is the first place I look to when I want to buy a big-ticket item like that
Buyers know that sellers on ebay are genuine about the sale e.g. sellers have to pay listing prices and commission to ebay for the sale and they say in the description they are moving house to an apartment, don't have space anymore for the item etc...

People can search in ebay saying they want to look at leather lounges 10 or 20km or 30km from them so the interstate ones will be listed last.
Lots of nice photos and a great description will do the trick nicely, I reckon....:)

I have never used Ebay so this will be interesting, going to give it a go.
As a rule I never sell and would rather give to relatives/friends who may need it, no takers for this, hope that is not a bad sign.:rolleyes:

SC
I agree, I really doubt anyone would want to pay $3K, even though it is an absolute bargain.

I often list on both sites. I never put my phone number into Gumtree, so make sure before I reply that there has not been any "buy it now" via ebay. I'm careful not to sell it "twice". Try both places, and if you don't want to risk having someone click through to "buy it now" on ebay, then put it for auction. You can always end it early without any issues.

Anyone purchased anything from gumtree via interstate?

If so, how did you make the purchase and make payment?

We're selling a hobie cat at the moment . Interstate buyer rang up . Paid a holding deposit and is coming up weekend after Easter. We had lots of photos and full description etc .

Asking price was 6000. Some one asked us to hold it with. $100 deposit . We said no . This person said $ 1000. We said yes . They paid money though to our account.

Cliff

We're selling a hobie cat at the moment . Interstate buyer rang up . Paid a holding deposit and is coming up weekend after Easter. We had lots of photos and full description etc .

Asking price was 6000. Some one asked us to hold it with. $100 deposit . We said no . This person said $ 1000. We said yes . They paid money though to our account.

Cliff

I am wanting to purchase something for less than <$100 on gumtree and seller is in NSW, so hes checking the postage fee. I mean, I can't possibly go and check the goods prior to purchase.

Just wondering if someone had this type of purchase experience on gumtree. Pay via Paypal?

I am wanting to purchase something for less than <$100 on gumtree and seller is in NSW, so hes checking the postage fee. I mean, I can't possibly go and check the goods prior to purchase.

Just wondering if someone had this type of purchase experience on gumtree. Pay via Paypal?

What happens if you pay and then he disappears?

Hi Beanie
Why Fixed Price over Auction???

Thanks

Hi Beanie
Why Fixed Price over Auction???

Thanks

Don't auction it. You will be disapointed. I sold a heap of household stuff recently on Ebay, auctions get a lot of watchers but it's mostly the gumtree crowd doing it.

Put it on Ebay with a fair buy it now. Put your phone number on the listing too so people can contact you to view it. When they come to see it do a cash deal with them to avoid the Ebay fee's. On $3000 you would be looking at about $300 in fee's between ebay/paypal.

You can try gumtree but be prepared to deal with a lot of time wasters, scammers and people who want things for nothing.

Back