Should I use Gumtree??

I also was gobsmacked that eBay now will take a percentage of the total sold price INCLUDING the postage. They seem to be pushing free postage, which I like to use if I can, but to pay fees on the postage is a bit rich :eek:.

That's why I try to list on both sites if I can. Gumtree is owned by eBay, but at least there are no fees.

Don't auction it. You will be disapointed. I sold a heap of household stuff recently on Ebay, auctions get a lot of watchers but it's mostly the gumtree crowd doing it.

Put it on Ebay with a fair buy it now. Put your phone number on the listing too so people can contact you to view it. When they come to see it do a cash deal with them to avoid the Ebay fee's. On $3000 you would be looking at about $300 in fee's between ebay/paypal.

You can try gumtree but be prepared to deal with a lot of time wasters, scammers and people who want things for nothing.

Good to know, thanks.

Im a former ebay business owner, and current gumtree user.

Key points gumtree
- face to face only for gumtree, unless its a business, because people can and will disappear, ive sold some items worth $200 interstate and couldnt believe that people would risk it, ive never bought anything without seeing it
- dont accept paypal, they can do a charge back
- western union, dont even respond
- watch out for the oil rig scam, google it
- most items people will lowball you, often with insulting offers, especially cars, electronics etc. etc.
- dont get upset with silly offers, hell some people will even try and lowball items that are advertised as FREE
- people never read!!!!, think selling a $5k car for $500 for parts, clearly mentioned that "CAR DOES NOT RUN, TO BE USED FOR PARTS ONLY" and they will still complain two months later threatening legal action for selling them a car that isnt roadworthy
- never consider something sold until someone picks it up or pays a holding deposit
- ebay own gumtree so expect it to not be free in the years coming.....typical ebay mentality
- dont use ebay!

Im a former ebay business owner, and current gumtree user.

Key points gumtree
- face to face only for gumtree, unless its a business, because people can and will disappear, ive sold some items worth $200 interstate and couldnt believe that people would risk it, ive never bought anything without seeing it
- dont accept paypal, they can do a charge back
- western union, dont even respond
- watch out for the oil rig scam, google it
- most items people will lowball you, often with insulting offers, especially cars, electronics etc. etc.
- dont get upset with silly offers, hell some people will even try and lowball items that are advertised as FREE
- people never read!!!!, think selling a $5k car for $500 for parts, clearly mentioned that "CAR DOES NOT RUN, TO BE USED FOR PARTS ONLY" and they will still complain two months later threatening legal action for selling them a car that isnt roadworthy
- never consider something sold until someone picks it up or pays a holding deposit
- ebay own gumtree so expect it to not be free in the years coming.....typical ebay mentality
- dont use ebay!

Very interesting, thanks TE.
Low ball something that is for free, how does that work:eek:

OK, if someone low balls my leather lounge suite at something totally ridiculous I just counter offer and keep moving forward, at this rate it could takes years to sell.

I don't like my chances of selling my lounge at the moment

If your lounge is "worth" $6K and still fashionable, you should be able to get close to half. Give it a try and see how it goes. You will get lowball offers, but you either counter-offer (on ebay) or decline it.

I'd list on Gumtree, take fantastic photos, and keep deleting it and relisting it every couple of days so anyone putting on a new search will have it sent to their inbox.

Between eBay and Gumtree, you should sell it for "what it is worth" in the second hand market.

You can try gumtree but be prepared to deal with a lot of time wasters, scammers and people who want things for nothing.
^What they said. Gumtree attracts so many of these people. Even if you have a price on an item that is cheap-as-chips you will still get people asking if they can have it for half price.

Don't auction it. You will be disapointed. I sold a heap of household stuff recently on Ebay, auctions get a lot of watchers but it's mostly the gumtree crowd doing it.

Put it on Ebay with a fair buy it now. Put your phone number on the listing too so people can contact you to view it. When they come to see it do a cash deal with them to avoid the Ebay fee's. On $3000 you would be looking at about $300 in fee's between ebay/paypal.

Exactly what ok180 said. Put it on ebay with a fair 'buy it now' price you want. You can put a 'buy it now' price of $3300. Covers ebay fees
People are used to fixed 'buy it now' prices especially for quality furniture.

I don't know if ebay will allow you to put a mobile or home number, I think the ebay system cancels the ad if they detect phone numbers, because it is against their rules. So they will 'end' your listing if they think your ad breaches ebay rules....

I got my half-leather lounge set for $1200 when seller really wanted $2000 for it but put it in 'auction' format and had a start price $1000. So don't auction your quality leather lounge set and have a low start price if you really want $3000.

An alternative is have an auction format but put a start price of $3300 like this seller has.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Leather-lounge-/201070438796?pt=AU_SofasCouches&hash=item2ed0bb698c

Seller throwing in a king size matching bed head as well

It is obvious the above ebay seller wants $3000 for the lounge set and $300 for the ebay fees but it's not even Italian leather

Explain that you bought your lounge set for $6000, it's xx number of years old but really quality ITALIAN leather, hardly sat upon, so what a steal!!! only $3300.
Your photos will tell the story. Buff it with nice leather shine.

If you have interested people email you through ebay, and they ask about the item, can they see it first before they place a bid...you've got your pool of better qualified buyers and probably better able to pay buyers. If these bidders have positive feedback through the ebay system, you can check their feedback and feel more assured that these bidders will follow through on the sale.

If you want to avoid ebay fees 'cos you do a cash deal with someone who comes over and they pay straight into your bank account BSB, account number, then do what ok180 said and cancel the ad in ebay before it ends once you got the buyer but as wylie said check that no one has done a 'Buy it Now' in ebay if you put a 'Buy it Now' ad. If you put an 'auction ad' and someone has placed a bid at your start price of $3300, you can cancel the auction ad before it ends without owing the ebay auction bidder anything.

Better qualified buyers with ability to pay come to ebay because they trust the site

I have bought a $15,500 car through ebay some years ago, a used black Mitsubishi Verada, it was advertised for 16,500 start price.
I think I contacted the seller, somehow I managed to get his address, I wanted to see the car before I even bid I think...
I negotiated with seller down to $15,500

Or you can put your lounge set on gumtree for $2999, state very clearly and firmly, 'not negotiable, please do not contact if you want to bargain on the price. This price is already a bargain'.

My friend says he uses this tactic on gumtree and it works at keeping the number of time wasters down

You can have your phone number on ebay. No problem with that.

Look at the sellers who have been on there for a while selling bi ticket items, you will often notice they do not seem to have a great deal of feedback. A big reason for this is they use the site to attract the business but then do the deal "off site". Ebay is actually good for that.

Lots of help/suggestions have the add on both sites ebay and gumtree.
Unfortunately went auction for ebay, and now want to change, but seems there is a problem. Just go with the flow see what happens.

Thanks everyone.

ok180
mmm..... location - centrelink:eek: can I interest you in a fashionable lounge suite:p cheap as chips $2999

...now want to change, but seems there is a problem. ...

Did you turn it off and back on again? :D

turnitoffandonagain.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtXtIivRRKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Unfortunately went auction for ebay, and now want to change, but seems there is a problem. Just go with the flow see what happens.

Thanks everyone.

ok180
mmm..... location - centrelink:eek: can I interest you in a fashionable lounge suite:p cheap as chips $2999

MTR don't put your phone number on Ebay - never ever put your mobile on anything on the internet unless you are happy for every weirdo tom, dick and harry and spambot to have it.

MTR don't put your phone number on Ebay - never ever put your mobile on anything on the internet unless you are happy for every weirdo tom, dick and harry and spambot to have it.

oops, this is all new to me, OK, no weirdos so far, will get that sorted.

I also never put my number on eBay or Gumtree. With Gumtree, I use email and don't even give my address until they are actually coming over. There are so many tyre kickers on Gumtree that "really, really want your item" and you never hear from them again.

I also learned (especially with give away items) to reply to the first email reply, give them until 6pm that night (or whatever suits me) and tell them if I don't hear back by then, I'm moving on to the next email. I've wasted so much time before waiting... waiting... waiting to hear back from the person who really, really, really wanted the item... never to hear back. Now I'm more ruthless.

Now, if I'm happy with their emails and they sound like they might actually be genuine and want to come and pay for something, then they get my number and address... not before.

And I try to have it near the front door or on the front patio, never let them come through the house.

Hence I am seeking advice on here if anyone had this type of buying experience :D

I sell stuff on Gumtree & have had a few from Interstate buy & pay via Paypal. I've also had them pay via bank transfer.

Personally, Id be happy to pay someone via Paypal, because if they are dishonest & don't send the product you can make a claim & get your money back. The seller is protected so long as they have a tracking number, to prove the product was sent.

I would NOT pay anyone via bank transfer, as you are relying solely on their honesty, and we know that not everyone is honest.

Absolutely! I have 2 Ebay stores. One is the 'real' one, the other is my 'junk' store. On the 'real' store I sell quality new goods only, on the other one it is just any random 'stuff', including a lot of old gear that we've been hanging onto for years, that needs to find a good home.

I NEVER use auction. The only way you will get a good price with an auction is if you have something that many people want. The Buy-it-now function is great, as you can have an item sitting there until the right person comes along & buys it.

As a non-business you can list 40 items per month for free. You can make your listings roll over to re-list automatically. So, if you are happy to just let something sit there until it sells, it will cost you nothing in listing fees. Set your end time for 10 days (the longest it will let you) adjust your automation rules to make it relist, and you can have around 12 items continually relisting until they are sold. This is going to be changed soon, so that the relist is done differently & you won't have to use your 'free' listings to relist, so you will be able to have 40 items continually relisting.

I don't have a problem with putting my phone number, although I don't have it on Ebay at the moment (only Gumtree). If you have a large item & you want people to pick it up, then you want to encourage them to contact you before they buy it & pay cash, as the Ebay fee can be hefty for large purchases. So, I would put in the listing to contact you prior to purchase, so the customer can view the lounge to see if it meets with their needs.

As for address, they ONLY get that when they make arrangements to come & view something.

You can end it & start again. If you right click on the far right hand side of the listing, it will give you a few options.

Back