Should l do this for a third bedroom value ?

Hey people.
l'm putting our 1 ac place on the market in a mth or two just as soon as we can finish of painting and outside property stuff.
Here's the thing. Technically l guess you'd call it a 2 bedroom and study.
However what we call the study , could be a great little third bedroom but it does have the back of the kitchen chimney running up wall , that props out about 500ml . And beside that it has a big hot water service that sits on a stand about 1mtr of the floor and runs up to ceiling ..
l've made some nice storage shelves underneath the hw stand and painted it up , as well as the chimney and rest of the room.
lt's really really nice , very cute , 3m x 2m after the chimney and hw.
So could l call that a third bedroom or would l be better to put it in as study/office and 2br.

And , house also has a 10mtr x 3mtr sun room, bright , great windows.
Alternatively , should l wall off 3mtrs of the end of the sun room , that'd make a beautiful br.
Would the agent call that a third br or just a sleep out ?
Do you think that would add 3rd br value or nothing, or maybe even detract from a really handy and sunny sun room ?
lt is a great room/space the sun room. Dunno how buyers would view it but we've got drums and gym stuff out there , the kids love and l've just repaired it and painted it all up , looks great.

l'm after best value , easiest jobs , what do ya think ?

Sounds like neither option would pass as a habitable room, the study might if under main roof and setup right. Sunroom doubtful.

I'd build a cupboard around the chimney and HWS so they are hidden, dress the room as a single bedroom and call it three bedrooms.

Ahh yeah right . The single bedroom thing could pass because the other two are huge . Cupboard could work too.
So what , skip the sun room idea all together you think ?

Do you have a floor plan? I was reading another thread where a person had a room (sleepout) that could only be accessed from the main bedroom.

When decorating, they made the existing living room into a bedroom and the bedroom that connected to the sleepout into a living room (therefore making the sleepout a "dining" room).

Just re-reading the post, is moving the hotwater system outside an option?

Then you could make the chimney a feature and market it as a 3 bedder.

So anything in the sun room would still be called a sleep out then you think ?
I see what you mean but nah , wouldn't work here .
The sun room does run of the what was outside back wall , different roof line. There is a bedroom on the other side of the wall but unfortunately wrong spot and lay out all together for anything along those lines.
It is a nice room/space but it does look sun room.

Wonder if addicts add anything . Got some great roof space up there.

Last edited:
I wouldnt be interested in buying your property if you had addicts hanging around :p

But in regards to attic space.... its about $10-20k to convert an attic into a dust free room to be used for storage. $80k+ (according to one of the attic conversion places i spoke to), to make it into a room itself.

Personally i dont think its worth it. Who can be bothered lugging stuff up to the roof via a ladder and putting extra stress on the roof beams.

Do you have a floor plan? I was reading another thread where a person had a room (sleepout) that could only be accessed from the main bedroom.

When decorating, they made the existing living room into a bedroom and the bedroom that connected to the sleepout into a living room (therefore making the sleepout a "dining" room).

Sounds like a post I made a while back. We did just this when we dressed a house for sale. Formal living room became a bedroom, main bedroom became a living room with the sleep out off it dressed as a dining room. This worked mainly because of the layout of the house. The main bedroom was in the middle of the house so easily worked as a living room and didn't feel "wrong" and the flow worked well. Many bedrooms would not work well as living rooms due to their location within the house.

Just re-reading the post, is moving the hotwater system outside an option?

Then you could make the chimney a feature and market it as a 3 bedder.

Yeah originally we were going to make a feature out of the chimney - could do a lot with it.
HW , yeah could put it out side but a pretty big job , plumbing expensive too , would rather not as time and cash are v/tight.

I wouldnt be interested in buying your property if you had addicts hanging around :p

But in regards to attic space.... its about $10-20k to convert an attic into a dust free room to be used for storage. $80k+ (according to one of the attic conversion places i spoke to), to make it into a room itself.

Personally i dont think its worth it. Who can be bothered lugging stuff up to the roof via a ladder and putting extra stress on the roof beams.

Ahhh , couldn't for the life of me think how to spell attic :cool:

Yeah right , seems every second house in the states has one . Always has me thinking whenever l've had to go up there.

Sounds like skip the sun room idea anyway and l have just finished cleaning it all up , would be a shame to mess with it from here.

Might see what l can do with the study , hw and stuff.
Looks really cute now since l fixed it all up, wouldn't believe it . l've got some paneling left to , could probably sort of cupboard it in quite nicely for free, bit more work.

Back