Should we get an asbestos inspection?

Hi guys

We are in the middle of purchasing a propery, just getting all our inspections done. One of the clauses in our O&E was that we were able to have an asbestos inspection done, and if the cost of removing said asbestos was over a certain value, then we could pull out of the sale. The reason for this is because we do want to extend the property we are buying, didn't want to get down the track and discover it was too much to remove asbestos.

Note, we are not wanting an inspection to see if there IS asbestos, rather, how much we are looking at to remove it. I guess a quote, but from the guy we spoke to, they charge us to come and have a look at it to quote.

Now, our building inspection is today. We haven't got the report yet, but when we spoke to him on the phone, he basically said, 'any house built prior to 1987 in Perth will have asbestos in it.' So, the reality is that our house has asbestos, and this will need to be considered when we come to do renos.

At the end of the day, we want this house. We will live in it as is before we start any reno's. Is it worth paying for this asbestos inspection/quote? Or just deal with it when it comes.

What about others who have renovated/extended older homes - they must all have to do deal with the asbestos removal right?

Thanks!

Btw - the house is brick and tile, so it's not like it is clad in asbestos. I don't know much about asbestos to be honest, but I've heard it might be in the eaves or the walls?

Now, our building inspection is today. We haven't got the report yet, but when we spoke to him on the phone, he basically said, 'any house built prior to 1987 in Perth will have asbestos in it.' So, the reality is that our house has asbestos, and this will need to be considered when we come to do renos......

This is the advice I have been given:
Asbestos was commonly used in building materials between the 1940s and 1980s. It was used because it is fire resistant, durable and an efficient insulating material. Now that we are aware of the health risks, it is no longer mined in Australia. Since December 2003, it has not been imported or used in any Australian products either.

As a guide, homes built from 1988 onwards should be asbestos free, while homes built before 1984 may contain significant asbestos sources.
Generally, the presence of asbestos in home building materials does not pose a health risk unless the material is broken, deteriorating or disturbed in such a way that dust containing asbestos fibres is produced (such as during sanding, drilling or sawing).
It can be difficult to tell whether a building material contains asbestos. The only way to be certain is to have a sample of the material tested in an accredited laboratory. If you do not want to test the material then it should be treated as though it contains asbestos.

Btw - the house is brick and tile, so it's not like it is clad in asbestos. I don't know much about asbestos to be honest, but I've heard it might be in the eaves or the walls?

It will be in the eaves and most probably the walls of the bathroom and possibly kitchen. (It was used in wet areas).

Your other walls if not brick (as most are double brick in WA), will be gyprock and not asbestos (fibro).

It will be in the eaves and most probably the walls of the bathroom and possibly kitchen. (It was used in wet areas).

Your other walls if not brick (as most are double brick in WA), will be gyprock and not asbestos (fibro).

Ok, I think the kitchen and bathroom were renovated in early 90's... would that have any impact on those areas having asbestos?

Vinyl tiles, glue for vinyl, back of electrical meter boxes etc.

Be aware that it was also used for wall sheeting between rooms in many states as well.

So.... the general consensus is to get a quote/inspection done? How will he tell things that are not visible? Or it it better just to wait until it comes time to extend?

Maybe check with your building inspector on what they cover? They might be able to flag suspected asbestos to be later tested.

I know that our building inspector will identify hazardous materials and asbestos, and we have discussed with him previously that we want to see where the asbestos is prior to having an asbestos inspection/quote... building inspection is happening today, and we will have report tomorrow. So I guess we just need to see what he says first, and go from there?

Thanks so all the replies and help, so appreciated!

Why would you need to remove the asbestos if you are planning an extension later on?

I don't understand why you would remove it?

If it's sealed or painted etc... then there is no issue with asbestos. They still mine it for a building material in canada, Australia is the only country in the world that actively removes abestos from buildings, because it's perfectly safe when sealed.

Can't you just do you extension and leave the asbestos be?

Why would you need to remove the asbestos if you are planning an extension later on?

I don't understand why you would remove it?

If it's sealed or painted etc... then there is no issue with asbestos. They still mine it for a building material in canada, Australia is the only country in the world that actively removes abestos from buildings, because it's perfectly safe when sealed.

Can't you just do you extension and leave the asbestos be?

The extension will include knocking out walls and, I imagine, taking the roof off.... please forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about houses, so I imagine that lifting the roof will include doing something with the eaves? And if there is asbestos with the eaves, then we would have to remove it?

Or... is it possible to do an extension without touching the roof? At this stage, future reno's are literally in the dreaming stage, we have not made an plans, we are just gathering information about asbestos prior to purchase...

Is it an asbestos roof? Or just tile or metal?

Maybe send some pics through.

I wouldn't think that the eaves would need the asbestos to be removed due to an extension. But I guess it depends on what sort of extension.

You can remove a little bit of asbestos yourself I think according to the laws the govern it.

I've removed some asbestos sheets before, but there wasn't much of it, I think you can get away with removing pieces that are 1m2 or something like that.

You can get asbestos rates masks for about $10 at bunnings too. And leaving the house with its windows open will remove any dust very quickly (a couple hours).

But this is all mostly second hand info that I've gotten from my mate who used to do asbestos removals.

Back