Shower screed failing?

Hi there, I think the screed in my showers my be failing. First noticed it in the main shower beginning of the year and stopped using it, had a look at ensuite shower last night and looks like it is going bad too, bits breaking off.

Hs anyone experienced this and how did you fix it?
Is there a quick fix solution rather than ripping up all the tiles and redoing the screed? Tiles seem to be okay, not lifting or anything like that.

This pic is the ensuite: not used in 4 days but the mortar/screed still feels damp

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
It does not look right that there is screed?? visible. The outer part of your chrome floor waste should be inserted within the inside top of the PVC waste pipe - excuse lack of correct name. The black stuff? in first photo and cement? in second may have just been packed in there for some reason which does not represent the screed itself. If the screed is breaking down the tiles will start lifting or becoming drummy. Check this by tapping on the tiles and listening for a hollow sound, or drag something solid like a stone, dining knife, large drill bit etc over the tiles and listen for change in tone. If no hollow sound or change in tone ............ get the soap and shampoo out and have a nice long hot shower - preferably with someone else :D

Thanks Beachside! The neighbour's showers ended up going bad with tiles lifting which is why I was worried when part of the 'stuff' came off. I've tapped the tiles but can't tell what is a drummy sound and what isn't lol. Didn't think to run something along so I'll give that a go. Got 2 blokes coming out tomorrow to have a look and quote on repairs.
Now to find a special someone to join me in the shower.. :D

Back