Silly Qs - How do I know it's floorboard underneath?

The IP in rutherford is fully covered in carpet except laundry (cement). One of the room sounds like it's floorboard underneath due to a bit of creaking sound, but I can't tell for the others.

Any way to find out without lifting parts of the carpet out? (I don't have the tool)
Silly question I know :eek:

Hey,

Just saw this online. Hope this helps!

"How do I tell if there are hardwood floors under my carpet? What do I do if there are hardwood floors down there? The easiest and least intrusive way to see if there are hardwood floors under your carpets is to take out one of your floor registers. The carpet will not be tacked down there. Lift if up and see if the floor underneath it is hardwood, linoleum, or something else. What this can?t tell you is the condition of the floors. If you want your old floors to be restored, you should contact a flooring company with experience in restoration. Sometimes there is water damage, sometimes there are patches, sometimes parts of the floor have been replaced with plywood. A restoration expert can help with lots of these things. But, mentally at least, I would always be prepared to put carpet back down if the floor was too badly damaged."

Sorry I am unsure if you will still need tools to lift even a part of the carpet area that is not tacked down.

Go under the house and look up.

Or if no access then rip up carpet and then rip up the mdf or whatever it is they lay the carpet on and then see if it's floorboards or not.

Generally it is really easy to lift up a piece of carpet in the corner - just with a screwdriver to pry it up. You can then push it back down without any problems - just pick the right corner and don't lift it too far out.

Generally it is really easy to lift up a piece of carpet in the corner - just with a screwdriver to pry it up. You can then push it back down without any problems - just pick the right corner and don't lift it too far out.

Try lifting the carpet in a cupboard.

How old is the house? Pre-1970's it is most likely to be strip flooring. After that chip board or yellow tongue was introduced.

Get in under the floor through the manhole. Timber floors are accessible for inspection.

If you have any built in cupboards then you may be able to lift some carpet in there as well.

How old is the house? Pre-1970's it is most likely to be strip flooring. After that chip board or yellow tongue was introduced.

Get in under the floor through the manhole. Timber floors are accessible for inspection.

If you have any built in cupboards then you may be able to lift some carpet in there as well.

It's about 1970 building haha... will try to have a peek under the manhole (it just look so dark)

Edit:

The kitchen only has lino on top, the bottom looks like the herringbone pattern here http://visual.merriam-webster.com/i.../wood-flooring/wood-flooring-arrangements.jpg
Laundry is just concrete

If the manhole is dark, stick a camera in with the flash on and take a photo. The photo would tell if the floor is timber and what kind the timber is.

:)

Introduce white ants to your house. If the floor is still there (even after you stomp hard) after several few years time then one could assume its not timber floor.

Back