Anyway, I am the salad queen... give you some of my favs

If you love avocado and who doesn't

2 avocados
bunch of coriander
2 tomatoes diced
1 red onion
tabasco sauce
olive oil 2-3 tablespoons

Mix it all together, divine, ease it with the tabasco if you like it hot then just go for it otherwise just a few drops. Of course season to what suits.

This is a real treat
Water melon salad with mint
Water melon (2-3 cups)
mint
fetta
red onion

Mix it together, this is crazy wonderful, especially summer time, with friends and the BBQ going, or pizza oven

.... and here is Mum's favourite and mine, not a salad but a side dish, very tasty it does not get any easier and just so good

3 tomatoes
3 capsicums

Cook at 180 degree oven until brown on both sides.
Wait till cooled
Take skin off capsicum and tomatoes and take out the pulp from tomato and
cut up place in bowl with salt, pepper, lots of olive oil and chopped chilli, mix.
Smokey delicious, also wonderful on crusty bread

I probably wouldn't call this healthy healthy but it sounds delicious and will appeal to people that are gluten free (and similarly low carbers or paleo)

I think it needs some greens so I would wilt some spinach/kale/rappa

Lemon Garlic Prawns on Cauli Mash

Ingredients for 2-3 servings:

Prawn Marinade:

Zest from 1 lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound raw prawns, shelled and de-veined

Cauliflower Mash:

1 head of cauliflower, cut into large-ish florets
6-8 cloves garlic, peeled
extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 t butter (grass-fed)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
(optional) half and half or cream / or broth, if needed to correct consistency

Lemon Garlic Prawns:

Marinated prawns (from above)
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 slices bacon
1 teaspoons butter (grass-fed)
1/2 cup white wine (or fish/veggie stock)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes, or to taste
pinch or two of dried oregano
juice of one lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped

First, mix up the marinade ingredients for the shrimp. Put the shrimp and the marinade in a resealable bag, mix it up well so all the shrimp have some marinade on them, and refrigerate for 1-4 hours.

Preheat an oven to 180C. Place the cauliflower and garlic in a shallow roasting pan. Toss with enough olive oil to coat the pan and the vegetables. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover loosely with foil, and roast for 15 minutes. Remove foil, and shake to mix up the vegetables for more even browning. Roast uncovered for 15-20 minutes, or until cauliflower and garlic are soft and lightly browned. Remove from oven.

Using a food processor, puree the cauliflower with a 2 teaspoons of butter (or more). Add the Parmesan cheese and mix well. You want to end up with the cauliflower having the consistency of mashed potatoes (fairly thick, not runny). If needed, add a drizzle of cream or broth if the cauliflower is too dense. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Place in a heat-proof bowl and keep warm.

In a large saute pan or Dutch oven, cook the chopped bacon until crisp. Set aside.

Add 1 teaspoon of butter to a frypan and cook bacon and onion until bacon is cooked and onion is browned. Add the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano <insert green veggie here), and saute for about a minute, stirring frequently. Stir in wine. Cook until liquid is reduced by half (will only take a few minutes), then add the prawns. Cook, stirring frequently to turn the prawns until they are pink and opaque on both sides. This should only take 3 or 4 minutes; do not overcook the prawns or they will be rubbery! Stir in the lemon juice and remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve the prawns and sauce over the mashed cauliflower.

Yes, would love some more recipes.

If you love avocado and who doesn't

2 avocados
bunch of coriander
2 tomatoes diced
1 red onion
tabasco sauce

Mix it all together, divine, ease it with the tabasco if you like it hot then just go for it otherwise just a few drops. Of course season to what suits.

This reminds me of the salad I made tonight. It was a bit of a 'cupboard' salad

- half tin of corn kernals
- half tin of 3-4 bean mix
- 10 halved cherry tomatoes
- half an avocado chopped into chunks
- juice from a lime
- salt/pepper

Mix everything but the avocado and squeeze the lime over it. Add the avocado and gently mix through.

My kids enjoyed it in wraps with shredded chicken, lettuce and some cheese for dinner tonight.

Eeek! Myf, that sounds work intensive - although I'm almost persuaded to try it despite not liking prawns ;)

Love the salad ideas too, wouldn't have thought of putting watermelon in anything but a fruit salad before. Must try.

In the interest of something dead simple (and full of carbs!), here's one of my fave Jamie Oliver recipes :p Broccoli and pesto tagliatelle (or penne or whatever pasta you have in the cupboard). My 6 year old loves this and keeps asking for it regularly.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/broccoli-and-pesto-tagliatelle-pasta-recipe.html

bunch of coriander

Coriander,love it in combo,yummo!

Also Of The Vultures,

That chicken recipe i put up,i also use beef,lamb etc.

But i don't wrap the beef/lamb in bacon....I dice and crisp the bacon and add later.

Anything else can be added be it parsley etc,doesn't ruin the taste.

You mentioned a JO recipe,pasta is quick and easy to make.

I use to make pasta for my ex's kids and they had no idea i mixed in veg :p

I'm going to try your recipe out Spades, I love stuff that can be cooked in one pot.

The pasta - thankfully my kid likes vegetables, it's hard to hide the broccoli when it's the main part of the dish :)

I'm going to try your recipe out Spades, I love stuff that can be cooked in one pot.
Same as well and i have plenty freezed if need be,if lazy...But i enjoy cooking,You will like the recipe,only bad thing about it heath wise is the bacon and teaspoon of vegata stock
The pasta - thankfully my kid likes vegetables, it's hard to hide the broccoli when it's the main part of the dish :)

The nutritional part of broc is the stalk and leaves....Finely chop,as well as carrots and celery,parsley in the mix...The fun part is the disguise ;) and add red wine for oomph as well as tomatoes and paste.

Home made garlic bread with herbs,is a teaser.

go to meal from the cupboard. Takes 15 mins to make.
been eating this since uni.
don't be afraid of the anchovies. they add a deep salty note with no fishy taste.

Spagetti putinesca

fry crushed garlic, about four anchovies and the oil they came in with chilli until the anchovy disintegrates. about 2-3 minutes
add tinned crushed tomatoes.
boil for 5 mins and add capers and black olives. sprinkle with pinch of corn/plain flour to thicken slightly

serve with spaggetti and sprinkle parmeson cheese if you have it.

Last edited:
japanese noodles with lime pepper salmon.

make a paste of salt and pounded up peppercorns in the mortar and pestle with juice of a lime.
spread on salmon steak in a zip lock bag and leave for 20 mins.
eighter fry on a non stick pan or wrap in foil parcels and cook in very hot oven for 15 mins to steam cook

slice up capsicum, snow peas, baby corn, carrots and shallots. quick fry and add hot soba noodles and top with soba dipping sauce (both from the asian section of coles. but better sauces are from an asian grocery)

place the salmon on your soba noodles and enjoy.

minted warm vegetable salad with haloumi and couscous.
best Haloumi is the coles or woolies one ? lembas I think? its in the cheese section.

chop veges in cubes of 1-2 cm.
i use pumpkin, potatoes, sweet potatoes carrots, zucchini, eggplant, cauliflower and capsicum.

season with cumin or mediteranian spice mix and a splash of olive oil,
bake until tender.
its best if you use two baking dishes and don't overload one as the veges need air between them to caramelise - brown the edges. if they touch they steam.

in the meantime cut halumi into 1-2 cm chunks and lightly fry in small teaspoon butter until golden.

mix haloumi, vegetables, juice of half a lemon and bunch of torn up mint in a big bowl and serve as is.

or you can add fluffy cooked couscous at this point to bulk it out.
its very filling but if you have carnivores add grilled meat as a side.

Yes, would love some more recipes.

Well hot damn, keen as mustard to give these a try once I recover from glandular fever, especially the watermelon one. Watermelon is the food of the gods.

Healthy Rhubarb and Apple Crumble recipe (super easy)

Ingredients:

one bunch rhubarb
two or three apples (peeled and roughly chopped)
coconut sugar and/or white sugar
muesli or oats (I use about two cups)
butter or coconut oil

Wash and slice rhubarb. Place in microwave for a few minutes while you prepare the apples. Place the apples in the rhubarb along with some coconut sugar and a little white sugar (to your liking. I find only coconut sugar to be a bit too 'molasses-y'). Rub the coconut oil into the muesli or oats (whichever you're using) with a pinch of salt and some more grated coconut sugar. Place dish in oven for about 30 mins at about 180 (or until rhubarb and apple mixture is bubbling and topping is golden). Serve with cream, ice cream or on its own.

I sprinkled cinnamon on top of mine, but that is optional.

Well hot damn, keen as mustard to give these a try once I recover from glandular fever, especially the watermelon one. Watermelon is the food of the gods.

We had the most amazing Soft Shell Crab and Watermelon at Nobu on Sunday. The dressing on the watermelon was a finely chopped red onion, rice wine vinegar, chopped coriander/shiso - very much like a Nuoc Cham sauce.

Only dress the watermelon minutes before serving.

Healthy Rhubarb and Apple Crumble recipe (super easy)

Ingredients:

one bunch rhubarb
two or three apples (peeled and roughly chopped)
coconut sugar and/or white sugar
muesli or oats (I use about two cups)
butter or coconut oil

Wash and slice rhubarb. Place in microwave for a few minutes while you prepare the apples. Place the apples in the rhubarb along with some coconut sugar and a little white sugar (to your liking. I find only coconut sugar to be a bit too 'molasses-y'). Rub the coconut oil into the muesli or oats (whichever you're using) with a pinch of salt and some more grated coconut sugar. Place dish in oven for about 30 mins at about 180 (or until rhubarb and apple mixture is bubbling and topping is golden). Serve with cream, ice cream or on its own.

I sprinkled cinnamon on top of mine, but that is optional.

Yumm. I particularly like roast rhubarb for recipes like this. If you have the time I would toss the rhubarb and the apple in the sugar then roast at 160 degrees for about 20mins until the rhubarb is soft but retains shape.

People like me who don't like washing up would roast them in the baking dish then put the crumble over and continue cooking :)

Hey Mr.F,

You know glandular fever was commonly known as kissing disease in the past?

Yeah. Still known as the kissing disease today. The next time I see the bird that gave it to me, I'm going to have a few choice words to say to her. Literally the worst ten days of my life.

We had the most amazing Soft Shell Crab and Watermelon at Nobu on Sunday. The dressing on the watermelon was a finely chopped red onion, rice wine vinegar, chopped coriander/shiso - very much like a Nuoc Cham sauce.

Only dress the watermelon minutes before serving.

drooling_homer.gif

On the sugar topic, I have tried many sugar alternatives and one of my favourite is dried dates. They can be used gram for gram as an alternative in many sweet baking dishes and some savoury dishes where you cook for quite awhile for them to dissolve eg morroccan stews, slow cooker ribs etc

http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com.au/p/refined-vs-natural-sugars.html

When my cooking mojo is working I make slices/muesli bars for my kids with dates and apple puree instead of sugar.

I'm yet to try coconut sugar - I'm a bit turned off by the price :rolleyes:

BTW if you have a thermomix then the link above to Quirky Cooking is amazing for many allergy friendly and non processed recipes

Back