Simple question about Besser blocks.

Hello all,

If I build with Besser (or any similar block product), does it need a frame? Strangely, I've googled this a number of times and get nofin...:mad: I think the answer is no.

Thanks in advance for your answer/s.

According to page 95 of the Owner Builders Manual, Staines, 1984, you can glue the plasterboard directly on to the blockwork, or fix over 42 x 19 battens. 1984 was a long time ago, rules may have changed. There is an updated book, we dont have it.

Besser blocks are structual and do not need a timber or steel frame - like double brick. However they are weak laterally and often they are infilled with pumped concrete for added strength.

Masonry blocks are popular in the North but they were not cyclone proof. To achieve this they have steel reinforced, concrete filled bond beams and piers beside every opening.

But no frame.

Stucco external and plaster internal give a finish, but this has a poor R rating: Concrete has a surprisingly poor rating. It also has thermal mass, ie slow to warm in the morning and slow too cool at night.

Thanks for the replies! :D

I'm looking to do an owner build, labouring myself to raise the block-work, saving some mulla on getting a chippy in to erect a frame. I'm thinking of rendering the outside, getting all weird and wonderful with textured finishes on the inside, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to head next. Do I just speak to a drafts-person and they come up with all the technical stuff like how to attach the roof structure to the Besser etc. ?

Don't even think about laying your own blocks. :eek: Labour for a tradesman if you must. Textured blocks with plain face edging can look attractive BUT ONLY IF THE BLOCKS ARE LAID PROPERLY!!!!

Bars go from the slab through the bond-beam and the roof timbers are bolted down on them. That way the roof can't lift during a blow.

Don't even think about laying your own blocks. :eek: Labour for a tradesman if you must. Textured blocks with plain face edging can look attractive BUT ONLY IF THE BLOCKS ARE LAID PROPERLY!!!!

Bars go from the slab through the bond-beam and the roof timbers are bolted down on them. That way the roof can't lift during a blow.

Thanks Sunfish. Why not lay my own blocks? I'm handy with a level. :)

Thanks Sunfish. Why not lay my own blocks? I'm handy with a level. :)

It depends how young and fit you are. Hubby and I built a fire-rated block double garage when we were in our 20s, held down the day job five days a week, but could not do it now in our 50s.

We drew up the design , got his uncle who is a master builder to check it, took it to the council and they altered a couple of things to their satisfaction. I believe councils are nit-pickier these days. Alan Staines' updated book is an excellent source of info and diagrams. He is on the Sunshine Coast so he is a "local" for laws and regulations in Qld. We use the book as a text at the school where I work.

Back