Single Garage or Double Carport + Another Room??

Hi all,

Was looking for some advice on which is better to have, my property at the moment currently has a single garage with a single carport out the front, but i have never used the garage to park my car and neither have any of the tenants i have had in the property, yet my agent tells me more bedrooms are better. Mine is currently a 3 bedroom property.

I was thinking of changing the Single Carport to a Double Carport, and splitting the Garage into another Bedroom and small storage area for car stuff. The garage has a large window like other rooms, and I was going to keep the garage door for the storage room.

Do you think this is worth doing and would it add value by adding another room and having a double carport whilst losing the garage?

Thanks.

Assuming your property is a 3 bed 1 bath 1 garage house, I would seriously consider turning the single garage into a bedroom with an ensuite, giving you the 4 bed 2 bath configuration favoured by most people. A basic bathroom from scratch may cost around $10K - $15K, but this seems to be a popular renovation to add value. Then replace the garage door with a large window or sliding door.

Further down the track, when finances allow, you can build the double carport.

In the interests of full disclosure, we bought our PPOR in 1979. 4 bed 2 bath double garages. We immediately turned the garage into a huge rumpus room as there was no family room - (the garage was fully lined and had internal access and we bought the property with this alteration in mind - we simply replaced the doors with windows and carpeted!), and added a double carport to the front of the house.

THREE neighbours saw and copied within 12 months.
Marg

It must depend on where you live.

Properties where I live that have seen a double garage converted into a single garage and one bedroom or a family room with a carport or detached garage sit on the market for a long time and are greatly devalued (I have had various real estate agents tell me this). Yes, bedrooms are important, but not if it's at the expense of a car space.

You cannot underestimate the importance of car accommodation. Whether it's a garage or carport, we all want somewhere to park the car :D

I wouldn't advise converting the garage until you have the means to add the double carport. Even then, ensure that there is still STORAGE even if it means building a garden shed to compensate here. Preferable if you can "box" the carport in for extra security/storage but, if not, don't forget to allow for this.

Area will make a difference too- where is it?

Thanks for all the advice guys. Yes I definitely want the double carport.

I have thought about the Bedroom + Ensuite, but was concerned about pricing and also how small the bedroom might end up with the ensuite included in the Garage.

The Bathroom in the house is a good size and is a two way between Main Bedroom and the rest of the house. I was considering splitting it to have an Ensuite.

The house is in Thornlands, QLD.

Last edited:
Back