Skywhale - what do you think?

This week Canberrans were introduced to Skywhale. A $300 000 hot air balloon commissioned for the 100th birthday celebrations.

At first (second and third) glance, I thought it was ridiculous. I'm not against a balloon, however for something that is supposed to be celebrating Canberra's birthday, I may have thought a link to the city would be a prerequisite.

I've seen it (on tv) and heard about it constantly this week and I think its growing on me - its actually kind of nice to have Canberra being talked about in terms of a fun balloon rather than boring government.

So what do you think? Was it money well spent??

www.news.com.au/travel/australia/lo...erra-anniversary/story-e6frfq89-1226638931846

It was $170,000 I think, not 300k.

I have no issue with the money spent for the celebration of our capital city.

But what does a whale have to do with Canberra? The artist was born there, yet lives in Melbourne, and that is about as far as the connection to the city goes.

$170k was the figure first quoted, however the Chief Minister yesterday clarified that the total cost was around $300k

what a ridiculous waste of money...thanks for wasting what $$$$ you do have, ACT government. This is the same government that takes the highest land tax off landlords in Australia, if I rented my PPOR out I would have to get over $6000 in rent before I could even start to pay my mortgage back.

I don't know if it was intentional that this heavy breasted creature was unveiled on the same day as the 100th anniversary of the bra.

i agree in what a waste of money!

They would of been far better off in spending the money on other things, but im sure that wouldn't make for local news!

images

I was expecting a photo of Octomum floating the skies of Canberra

I think it's funny that Canberra chose a massive volume of hot air to celebrate 100 years.

no really.....I mean who's bright idea was that?

but $170k worth? surely just a dignitary party would have been better.

Ugly
Full of hot air
accomplishes nothing
has no control over where it goes
costs double
built somewhere else
nuff said
perfect duplicate​

what a ridiculous waste of money...thanks for wasting what $$$$ you do have, ACT government. This is the same government that takes the highest land tax off landlords in Australia, if I rented my PPOR out I would have to get over $6000 in rent before I could even start to pay my mortgage back.
Wow Savanna100, .... that's extortion.

When I saw the balloon on the news I thought it was the head of a turtle, ...... looks nothing like any whale I've seen.

Mystery

Udder waste of money.

I googled the artist's other works, all fairly macabre, and I must admit to rather liking them. She's a talented artist but I'm not so sure about the Skywhale, nor do I understand what Canberra was thinking when they chose to spend 300k on it.

Oh, and looking at her other stuff, it's obvious that the breasts were very much intentional.

My family saw that on the news last night and instantly commented on the 5 enormous large pendulous breasts hanging down on either side of the balloon.

Whales ?? No-one was looking at the half whale half back end bird feathers, they were all gob-smacked by the 10 titantic teats hanging off the side.

A near perfect metaphor for what Canberra has become under this Labor led Federal Govt and also a Labor led ACT Govt.

$ 300,000.00 and hardly anyone bats an eyelid. Fair enough really.

With an interest bill on the debt running at $ 22 million per day, that 300K of public funds would only sustain Australia's interest bill - forget the debt itself - for only 18 minutes.

What the hell, just pay for it the way we do with everything else nowadays, ask the foreign banks to stump up the cash and simply pile the debt mountain a bit higher. No-one will notice or care. Someone else can worry about that nonsense later on.

Let's party !!

I wonder how the Menzies led Govt of 1963 celebrated Canberra's 50th ?? He'd be turning in his grave.

I like it. It made me smile.
I saw on the news some onlookers mention that it was awesome to look at and some kids got to help pack it away afterwards. Seems to be a good community type of art experience.
I think I heard someone else say the ACT Government spent over a million dollars sponsoring a centenary ladies golf tournament too. I think the balloon art is money better spent. The outlay includes promo material, piloting and other costs for the Australian tour.

Back