sliding to bifold doors

Hi,

I have a one bedroom apartment and was looking to change the sliding doors on the balcony to bifolding ones to allow the living area to be more open for entertaining or what ever.

How do I find out if this would cause any problems with the strata/body corp?
Or is it something minor enough that you can just go ahead and do? Are there any general rules for renos?
I have no idea what the procedure is with a reno in such a situation.

The apartment is in NSW.

Cheers

Ask them.

Or is it something minor enough that you can just go ahead and do?

Don't go ahead and do it because you will probably have to undo it. Body Corps are very particular about changes to the exterior of a building.

Don't forget to factor in that bifold doors are difficult to screen

Retractable screens are expensive and not very robust. If you want security screens ....forget it.

Hi,

I have a one bedroom apartment and was looking to change the sliding doors on the balcony to bifolding ones to allow the living area to be more open for entertaining or what ever.

Or is it something minor enough that you can just go ahead and do? Are there any general rules for renos?
I have no idea what the procedure is with a reno in such a situation.

The apartment is in NSW.

Cheers

you would normally have to ask the strata - say the current sliding doors are a 4 leaf door then you would also have 4 leaves for the bifold as in 4 panels as you could not have one apartment with 5 leaves and the rest with a different combination.

Depending on how big the width of the doors are the bifold would require more leaves as in panels - also being on 1st floor and depending on teh size and width of the doors - you're gonna need some soft of crane to lift the doors up.

it can be an expensive exercise - i personally have done bfiolds and full length stacking doors but it was mainly on a ground floor apartment.

Back