So I got a letter from a lawyer...

Melbourne company.
They quoted my previous PPOR address and asked if I was the bloke who used to live there.
If it was me, they said there was $601.16 owing to me and if I called them they would help me get it.
So naturally, I went to google and put their name in along with 'scam'.
That led me to Whirlpool, where I learnt it wasn't a scam. But I also learnt that I can get the money myself without having to pay someone a fee for assistance in locating it.
On the home page for the Office of State Revenue, is a tab for 'unclaimed money'. I entered my surname and hit 'search', and sure enough, there it was, $601.16 owing to me for 'IAG overpayments'. (I have no idea what it was.)
I found a cousin of mine was owed $418.00 and I let him know.
There is a bit of paperwork to do to prove who I am, but it's not too onerous.
Scott

Melbourne company.
They quoted my previous PPOR address and asked if I was the bloke who used to live there.
If it was me, they said there was $601.16 owing to me and if I called them they would help me get it.
That led me to Whirlpool, where I learnt it wasn't a scam. But I also learnt that I can get the money myself without having to pay someone a fee for assistance in locating it.
On the home page for the Office of State Revenue, is a tab for 'unclaimed money'. I entered my surname and hit 'search', and sure enough, there it was, $601.16 owing to me for 'IAG overpayments'. (I have no idea what it was.)
Scott

Well done Scott!! Good investigation Inspector

Melbourne company.
Scott

Be surprised if it was scam, there's many companies around like this that regularly check the unclaimed monies list and then locate the missing recipients and charge them a % of the amount once it's reclaimed. If it was a scam they would just be randomly contacting people, not going through the list then going through the laborious task of locating missing people.

But well done on getting the money back yourself!

My old company has $380 sitting at NSW OSR but the company is no longer registered so the whole process is even more long winded.

Haven't convinced myself that it's worthwhile bothering.

Cheers

I found my name

I'm owed 0.41 from a place I've never heard of

Some guy with thr same surname is owed 42k though from cba

I am gonna check my birth certificate in ccase I have a middle name I'm not aware of

None for vic but just checked one for nsw...My name popped up but it's not mine.
Oddly enough,the guy works for the same company i work for.

Back