So much for global warming

Brisbane - too hot
Sydney - just right ;)

Nah. if we are talking winter, then Brisbane is too cold too. Townsville or Cairns is just right.

Just back from a few days at Lemon Tree passage to escape the cold here. While it was better, it was no escape. While out fishing in a little boat I nearly froze.

It's currently snowing 60ks to the east and 200 ks to the north of me right now. :eek:

See ya's.

Last edited:
yep - you know they're talking "snow on the barringtons" (north of newcastle) that winter has finally arrived.

pity we can't export our good ole aussie common sense, and inventions, to the yanks. they have no idea really.

the thing that gets me about the usa is that the toilets "fill up" to the brim before flushing away. whats logical (or pleasant) about seeing everything float to the top of the pan - and waiting for it to spill over - before disappearing. i so prefer the aussie way where it just all disappears.

p.s. did anyone else see the tyre house on grand designs this week. i started off very sceptical, but it turned out great.

Having also live in america, you can see that there is just no public demand to turn to greener alternatives! The average Joe just isnt willing to give up his F350 pickup truck, or his styrofoam packaged maccas, or his "central air" running 24/7.

They just dont get it over there!!!

I will admit - whether global warming and human caused climate change is true or not, i do strongly believe in the humans being more efficient with consumption habits.
- turn off lights
- only run aircon when necessary
- drive a smaller car (falcon/commodore is still way too big and inefficient IMO)
- use energy efficient and water efficient appliances
- dry your clothes on a line, not in the drier

these are such simple and cheap things to do, and they even SAVE YOU MONEY. I dont get why some people just dont do it.

Nah. if we are talking winter, then Brisbane is too cold too. Townsville or Cairns is just right.
Hey it gets cold up here too mate. My toes were so cold this morning I had to put on a pair of socks. (Bright sun, 18.5 deg now though)

Did you see anything of the Townsville 400 (V8 Supertaxis) over the weekend? Great event, fabulous weather! :D

the thing that gets me about the usa is that the toilets "fill up" to the brim before flushing away. .

Toilets? It's hilarious whats going on in my parts now with the dunny.

Acreage is the rural waterfront. So if you want the best house it's on acreage. So everyone is building their dream house on acres, with the now standard 110,000 litre rainwater tank. Most everyone I know has only ever drunk or showered in rainwater so no one is going to change now.

But the new city based rules say we have to flush the rainwater down the loo, and drink the town water if you have it, or drink the bore water. yuk. So when the inspector turns up, everyone has the plumbing done the right way, and as he's driving away, the plumbing gets swapped. I think it's just the standard procedure now. Hard to believe people put rainwater down the loo.

See ya's.

Here's some interesting charts showing the current interglacial period we are in, taken from antarctic ice core readings.....This one going back 160,000 years.......

image161-1.gif

Note that the current interglacial period has already gone for twice as long as the previous one, 125,000 years ago.

This chart going back 400,000 years,.....

450000-with-green-line.jpg

See ya's.

Here's some interesting charts showing the current interglacial period we are in, taken from antarctic ice core readings.....This one going back 160,000 years.......
This chart going back 400,000 years,.....

Any humans around back then? :rolleyes:

I would hate to think of what might happen if a change in climate that previously happened over hundreds of thousands of years instead took place over a few hundred! :eek:

Whether it gets warmer or cooler or whatever the risk of that type of event for my (hopeful! :eek:) great grandchildren seems like it could be worth doing something about now.

Particularly when, as Witzl pointed out, much of what needs to be done is already profitable and just requires a change of mindset... BTW most of the gains to be made there are in industry rather than residential applications but I will try to stay on topic!

The best modelling of 600 of the world's best climate researchers could well be wrong... but there is very little harm in doing sensible things (and absolutely some of the proposals on the table ATM are not sensible - but that's another discussion entirely!) to minimise the consequences in the scenario where they could be right...

Any humans around back then? :rolleyes:

I would hate to think of what might happen if a change in climate that previously happened over hundreds of thousands of years instead took place over a few hundred! :eek:

The end of the ice age and start of the interglacial is where violent and fast change happens.

Google 'ice age flood'.

When the last interglacial started, the massive ice shelf coming down into the US that was kilometres thick did some weird things as it melted. Like forming massive lakes of water as the ice melted. These lakes occasionally busted and caused catastrophic flooding of the like never seen before. One such flood caused the gulf stream to stop for a short period,....

........"The massive lake burst its borders, emptying down the Hudson Strait and right in to the Labrador Sea west of Greenland. The major problem was that this great body of fresh water emptied in to an area of the ocean which is an important part of the Gulf Stream, where the Atlantic waters which are brought north are frozen and the leftover saline heavy water falls to the bottom.

The influx of such a large amount of low saline water choked the system, and halted the Gulf Stream altogether.

Europe immediately suffered what is now known as the Younger Dryas, or the Big Freeze. Greenland ice-cores which have recently been excavated show that in that area plummeting by up to 8 degreesC"..........

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2007/12/ancient-flood-t.html

Weird stuff. See ya's.

i think we just like to think we can make a difference, when in reality, the only difference we can make is the amount of airborne carbon particles we put in the air.

Perhaps George Carlin had it right - the earth let humans 'be' because it wanted plastic, but couldn't make it for itself. Once it has enough plastic for it's needs, it'll snuff us out. :D

Professor Bob Carter videos now on Youtube.

A quite excellent presentation on global warming (and/or cooling) from Professor Bob Carter of James Cook Uni. is now on Youtube.
There are four videos in the series. The Youtube title is ...
"Climate Change - Is CO2 the cause? - pt 1 of 4"
A great set of vids IMO.
LL

A quite excellent presentation on global warming (and/or cooling) from Professor Bob Carter of James Cook Uni. is now on Youtube.
There are four videos in the series. The Youtube title is ...
"Climate Change - Is CO2 the cause? - pt 1 of 4"
A great set of vids IMO.
LL

This presentation was made by somebody claiming to be a scientist, denigrating the work of the IPCC. Yet it is mostly an entertaining presentation showing one side of the story. Nothing scientific in there. :rolleyes:

Because global temperatures are constantly going up and down in cycles, it is so tempting and SO EASY to focus on whatever data you find that matches your preconceived ideas so you can "prove" that you were right. On either side of the argument, you can do that. It is largely a waste of time though.

The oil industry, under various disguised "institutes" with nice sounding names has been "sponsoring" the work of academics in desperate need of funding in the US for quite a while. Unsurprisingly, many of their "research" concludes that global warming doesn't exist.;)

There is SO MUCH misinformation on this topic that it is getting very difficult to make an unbiased opinion on this. Before wasting your time reading an article about it, you need to find out who is writing the article. They you need to dig out who is funding the article, and what is their motivation. Often it is not that easy to dig out that stuff.

I don't know enough about this presenter to be able to find out where his funding is coming from, but the rather unscientific and one-sided approach to his presentation is rather suspicious.

This presenter starts by telling the audience that the work of scientist at the IPCC is not worth much because it is the result of a "consensus" among many scientist. Then he claims that, all by himself, he can come up with a much more scientific result. He then proceed with a presentation designed to entertain (& influence) his audience rather than educate it.:eek:

Cheers,

global warming is another scare campaign to induce fear into the masses and make them pay more for goods that they can justify in their own heads.

like free range chicken eggs. cheaper to keep than battery hens, but they cost more...?

because the wholesale market doesn't care, they need volume.

therefore, free range lay less but cost less, and cage lay more but cost more - so they *should* be about the same.

where can you justify offloading the skinny wholesale margin on expensive cage eggs?

please understand the analogy behind the argument and don't focus on the eggs.

Witzl
There are actually areas in the USA where it is illegal (made so by local bylaws) to have a clothes line due to aesthetics.

Back