So Somersoft is a safe Liberal seat , but who will win ?

Who do you think will win the next federal election

• Liberal / national party

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Labour

Votes: 44 53.0%
  • The Natural Law Party

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • The Greens

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • The Democrates

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From the latest poll , we can see that if Somersoft elected a MOP , they're be Liberal , but will they actually win the next election?

If I was betting I'd have my money on Labour even though I will vote 1 for Brendan Nelson as our local member.

From what you've heard talking to people and listening who do you think will win ?

CLiff

They believe that if everyone meditates the world will be a nicer place .

The political wing of TM, george Harrison was their spokesperson in the UK .

:)

Cliff

I live in an extremely safe Liberal seat, so I always vote Labor to try and even it up a bit.

Living in a marginal seat is fantastic - you get all the political goodies and promises.

Living in a safe Liberal or safe Labor seat sux big time. You are "in the bag", and therefore completely ignored from a funding p.o.v.

In terms of who will win, Mr Antony Green - who I respect enormously, the analyst Channel 2 always uses during their televised broadcast, predicted at the conclusion of the last election that the Coalition had such a massive lead, in both the Upper and Lower House, that it would take several elections before Labor even emerged from the wilderness to mount a serious challenge.

Dunno now though, I reckon Howard's main ally will be Mrs Rudd - or whatever her maiden name is.

Daz

If only some of those "political goodies and promises" made some sort of sense!!!

Our electorate is being 'bribed' (oops, did I say that?) with having a 2-lane feeder road upgraded to 4 lanes - only trouble is that we are in one Council area (Redland) and this new 4-lane road will end at a 2-lane bridge (which has recently been upgraded), and the road on the other side of the bridge is in Brisbane City Council area. BCC have refused to contribute to more work on the bridge and are adamant that their 2-lane road on the other side of the bridge won't be widened any time soon!!!!

You tell me???

And the pollies wonder why we poor voters are so cynical!!!

Cheers
LynnH

I'd take 2/1 on on a labor win.

Howard got in on the back of mini-capitalists who were enjoying the property/shares boom and thought working conditions no longer mattered. The novelty of that has worn off for quite a few.

Oddly though, I'd like to vote lib for one of the few times ever because they are willing to consider nuclear power, which I feel strongly about. But even that will be hard because we have a terrible local lib member and a much more likely lab challenger. Decisions! Decisions!

Last edited:
I think it will be close with Labour winning. Some voters will panic as they enter the polling booth and will change from Labour to Liberal purely out of fear of change. Australians might be happy to update their mobile phones and other gadgets but we are not a radical bunch. We like the stauts quo:rolleyes:

I am in very very safe Labour seat...used to be in a safe Liberal one. Its extremely boring and sometimes insulting to be in a safe seat. Usually new celebrity pollies are placed in our area (usually not living locally) and we are supposd to just mindlessly vote for them. :eek:

If ANY party put a 'celebrity candidate' in our electorate - even if it was a party for which I would otherwise vote - I'd put them last on the ballot paper!!! Pollies must think we're all fools!!!

Cheers
LynnH

Speaking of that, do you normally ;

1. Subjugate your vote by ticking the one box, which literally hands the voting control to the Party machine how they see fit, and they distribute the all important preferences how they see fit......or do you

2. Laboriously go through and number every candidate, thereby retaining control of your vote.

.....not surprisingly, I always go option # 2, and almost always get annoyed at the volunteers lined up outside every booth standing there telling you "How to vote" and handing out "How to vote" cards.

They usually think I'm rude when I walk directly past them and ignore them all. Who knows, could be walking past a future PM. I gather they are the loyal unpaid members of the parties, ordered to stand out there all day, with the faintest of promises that maybe one day their name will be on the ballot paper.......unless of course, as Lynn says, someone like ol' Peter Garrett is parachuted in as a celebrity. Must cut those guys to the bone when that happens, some investing 20 or 25 years of their lives to have it dashed away.

laboriously number every vote...

i need to see pauline pantsdown and nigel freemarijuana get at least one vote!!! :rolleyes:

other than that, i think we might be in for a change...hoping not, but that's what my gut tells me (and there's enough of it to hold an opinion - it has its own postcode!! :D)

Well, I have some bad news for the safe Liberal seat of Somersoft. I was on 'the hill' this morning for a couple of hours talking just this issue with a few press secretaries of various shades of blue, pink and green. They shall remain nameless for reasons that will become obvious.

The mood on 'the hill' is that the coalition is a lame duck govt on the way out. Not only that but there is a strong possibility that John Howard, MalcolmTurnbull, and a few other high flyers will lose their seats. Malcolm Turnbull because of the slim majority he holds +/- 2%. John Howard because, if the coalition are perceived as going to lose the election, his electorate will realise that JH will have to fall on his sword. There is nothing an electorate likes less than going back to the polls right after a general election. So they may pre-empt this vote him out anyway. The rest will lose their seats due to the swing against the coalition.

A change of govt is going to happen unless their is a crisis that rallies the punters not to change horses mid stream. There is no crisis on the horizon (but a week is a long time in politics), so start planning now for both tiers of govt in your respective states being of the pink persuasion.

MC

Am leaning towards a Labor win.

Though I don't think it will be a good thing in the short term. They'll raid the future fund for a fibre optic cable roll out, then MESH technology will make that redundant. Then they'll increase taxation for medicare, then they'll privatize more infrastructure....toll roads everywhere along with privatized water.......just watch the Labor State govts to see what Labor Feds will do.....Beattie is stealing water assets from LGAs, and before you know it, he'll sell them off to private interests. Plus his water grid solution just blew out by $300m. Nothing like sound economic managment....

will be fun to see Labor Feds blaming Labor States for all and sundry.....and vice versa....

The only hope I give the Coalition is a serious terrorist shock occuring within 2 mths of the election....

Am leaning towards a Labor win.

just watch the Labor State govts to see what Labor Feds will do.....Beattie is stealing water assets from LGAs, and before you know it, he'll sell them off to private interests. Plus his water grid solution just blew out by $300m. Nothing like sound economic managment....

and then double the stamp duty on new car purchases to cover his stuffups...oh wait, he did that already...i guess he'll just have to raise taxes elsewhere then...

UC, did you hear Beattie last night on the news telling property developers to stop being so greedy and allow for some affordable housing in their developments!!!!!!!!

Absolutely amazing, considering the recency of the state engineered Integrated Planning Act....the guy really is losing it......

An exciting time...I very much enjoyed voting Labor just here on this little ol' poll...can't wait for the real deal and off I go to vote Labor, me and 3 schoolteachers in the safest National seat in the country...wearing our bullet proof vests.:p

Very amusing thread!

From what you've heard talking to people and listening who do you think will win ?

CLiff

From what I hear talking to people, liberal would win in a land slide.
Hmm. I do talk mainly to rural people and farmers. Not really a fair comparison.
A lot of people I know are dumbfounded as to why John Howard is unpopular now. Has any government ever been voted out when the economy is as strong as now?

I still think liberal will win. People will think they will vote labour even walking into the polling booth. They may hate JH for some reason, but when they pick up the pencil, they won't be game to vote labour.

See ya's.

ps. I better work out what seat I'm in. John Andersons seat of Gwydir was taken away due to falling population. Wasn't that the safest national seat?

pss. I think I'm now in the safest independant seat of New England held by Tony Windsor.

Go John Howard, Libs vote for me

I can proudly say i will vote Liberal as i always do. ALP voters said when Paul Keating stood in his last election, "best to go with the devil you know rather than the one you dont". It really scares me if Rudd and crew gets in. 25% addittional carbon tax on fuel and power, will shut the nation. Pull the troops out of Iraq, will mean Australian gov. dont care about victums of Sep 11. 15% GST plus no medicare rebate. Reintroduction of RBL limits on super plus tax lump sums and super pensions. Im sure they have a whole stack of nasty surprises that wont be known to after the election. The economic boom of the Howard era allowed me to buy a home, the disaster looming with an ALP win will send me broke and homeless.

Back