So Somersoft is a safe Liberal seat , but who will win ?

Who do you think will win the next federal election

• Liberal / national party

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Labour

Votes: 44 53.0%
  • The Natural Law Party

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • The Greens

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • The Democrates

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The GST has been a good revenue earner for the gov.

Yes, the GST has been a phenomenal earner for the state and territory governments.

Huh?! (I hear you say)

A prominent selling point of the [GST] legislation was that every dollar collected from the GST would be redistributed to the states.

As such, an agreement was enacted with the state and territory governments of Australia in 1999 that their various duties, levies and taxes on consumption would be removed gradually over time, with the budget shortfall being replaced by GST income from the Commonwealth Grants Commission. Furthermore, personal income tax and company tax was reduced to offset the GST.

Source: GST - Australia, Wikipedia

But here's the thing... the states and territories haven't entirely lived up to their end of the bargain - some state and territory taxes remain (Incidently, I don't believe that stamp duties on property purchases were part of the deal).

So yes - the GST is the goose that laid the golden egg, just not for the Commonwealth Government as I am sure 99% of people assume.

And before you go blaming Johnny the Liberal for the GST recall that back at the time of it's negotiation and introduction the majority of the states and territories had ALP governments (now they all do) and they all agreed to it.

M

Last edited:
Yes, the GST has been a phenomal earner for the state and territory governments.

And before you go blaming Johnny the Liberal for the GST recall that back at the time of it's negotiation and introduction the majority of the states and territories had ALP governments (now they all do) and they all agreed to it.

M

As usual good point Mark.

I wonder if some of those posting here don’t realise that

a) The Hawke Gov brought a lot of reform in that has benefited the Howard Libs to provide economic good times.

b) GST was essential and welcomed by the Labour states. It should have simplified tax and removed anti-growth taxes like SD, Payroll, etc..but the State reneged.

c) Even Keating, former ALP Treasurer, wanted to have a GST back in the 80's but the unions killed it.

And that is the risk of ALP to me. Not that the main players have bad policy but that they have been in the past beholding to union dinosaurs.

IMO when some union reps fail to understand (like that recent one) that gouging employers, or demanding for unrealistic tariffs only turns us all into economic Dodo birds, ripe for globalisation eradication, I am concerned.

Rudds recent action on the union rep shows courage.

Peter

The Hawke Gov brought a lot of reform in that has benefited the Howard Libs to provide economic good times.

Absolutely.

Hawke and Keating mowed the lawn and Johnny and his band of merry men have spent the last decade playing on it.

But, to be fair to the coalition, Fraser had initiated microeconomic reforms in the early 1980s (Campbell Inquiry on banking), the 1980's were a period of worldwide economic reform (it was very popular and fashionable), and, particularly in regards to the privatisation of SOEs such as the CBA, GIO, Telecom (Telstra), etc the policies had bipartisan support.

So yes, Hawke and Keating did preside over alot of economic reforms that, ultimately, have benefitted the economy - but these were largely bi-partisan reforms at the time.

Another policy that was popular at the time was the Accord. The really odd thing about its popularity was that under it real wages fell in the 1980s (great way to sell out your ACTU buddies, Bob).

However, one element of that time was clearly and solely the ALPs making - the blatant manipulation of the RBA by Keating, even to the extent that he instructed the RBA to raise interest rates at a particular time so that they could be falling again in time for the election. :eek:

No repeats please Rudd (should we be lumbered with you for PM).

M

Well Beattie just removed mortgage duty in Qld.

so average IPer should save $1000, which will quickly become a demand side price hike....and the govt will get 30% of that through cgt.

No word about title transfer duty being abolished, in any state....wowsers

FYI Vic Gov removed SD on mortage a while back but have the highest SD on sales in Aus. They did recently drop SD from 5% to 4% SD for owner occupiers.

And that the problem (not Libs v Labor) but with the State verus State versus Fed system. Different rules for different states, for different people, means more public servants and accountants being employed to:

1. work out the confusion
  2. find the loopholes
  3. close the loopholes
  4. go back to point 1 and repeat

All very much a waste of time (aka $) as opposed to spending those $ on new roads, rail links, ports and even poor old Broadband.

But that would require Leadership and Consensus which regardless of party is hard to find.:(

Peter

Just looking at the poll..I got a laugh from the three votes thinking that either the Natural Law party or the Greens will win the election....:D.

It's always good to start with a laugh in the morning....:)

Hello Buzz, it depends on your definition of 'win'. Given the 'me tooism' around climate change, water, the environment, etc., it appears The Greens have already won. The Libs and Labor are chasing 'green' policies as fast as their doctors can spin.

MC

Anyone think Howard may call an early election? The RBA still have time to raise interest rates again, and the economic indicators suggest a rise may be on the way soon. If this happens, it'll be a disaster for the libs, so I wouldnt be surprised if an election is called soon, because the RBA wont adjust rates close to an electoin.

IMO I doubt the early election. I still think late Nov.

Why? Howard has never called early yet and experience says you only go early when you have a clear lead in the polls and your opponents are in disarray like Beattie Gov. This is not the case. The more time for the Unions to get cocky and upset the PR spin the better. Give it to Howard. One of his greatest strengths is he has ensure the Libs speak with one voice, his. Not backbenchers with loppy schemes, ministers promising this and that. One message, KISS principle.

Personally on this point I would happily vote in a referendum to have a fixed date every three years. Take this power to massage the date away. They id it in NSW and it works well.

Peter

My vote is meaningless.

I'm reasonably comfortable with the idea that my vote carries the same weight as someone making their vote based on what Ray Martin is saying but... when you are in such a safe seat as mine... it doesn't matter who I vote for.

Not sure how it would work but I like the idea of one vote one value, as it is a very small % of our population in swinging seats have a huge amount of political clout.

I predict my seat will be a labor stronghold until we get a decent coffee shop in the area.

I'm in Petro Georgio's (safe) Liberal seat. He is definitely a liberal with a small "l". I'm torn how to vote; he gives both liberal and labor votes excellent reasons to vote for him or against him.

:confused: what to do, what to do :confused:

Back