So, what do you think might be in store for this years budget?

Of course it will. And what happens then? Degrees from 'Elite' institutions will be worth more, and the price will continue to go up as those that can afford it, fight for places.

And how's that any difference to K-12 education???

I know well off families (a couple of RE agents) that send their kids through the public system as they see no value in paying more and others who are fairly middle income families who work 1.5 jobs each, got their kid a scholarship to my daughter's top private school and scrimp and save every cent.

The same will happen if this occurs for universities. People will still make choices.

Who is it that gives extra weight to where one's degree is obtained? I would say it comes from some groups in society. (In response to goorom and crabbers post)

I know well off families (a couple of RE agents) that send their kids through the public system as they see no value in paying more and others who are fairly middle income families who work 1.5 jobs each, got their kid a scholarship to my daughter's top private school and scrimp and save every cent.

The same will happen if this occurs for universities. People will still make choices.

Agreed, it could end up similar to the private school system with the elite high fee private schools and cheaper like some of the Catholics ones.

IMO where your degree/qualification was achieved might only matter for your first job. After that, a job applicant's future job prospects are rather determined by their quality and vocational experience/accomplishments.

Puts on tin foil hat...

The fed govt is preparing to sell universities. ATM they're not a very saleable asset.
  • Deregulate (read increase) fees.
  • Increase HECS interest rates.
  • Make HECS debts recoverable from former students estates.
  • Make Uni's more corporate so they get rid of 'unnecessary' costs.

Legs eleven, you've got a nice saleable asset.

Removes tin foil hat...

Reputations of unis, like schools, change over the years based on what industry thinks of them. In its infancy, the uni of flanno & ugg boots ;) was derided but now turns out some of the best respected property grafuates in the industry, having taken the mantle from UTS.

Kenso Kindy was the only place to go for a degree in construction management but UTS is the preferred institution and had been for 20+ years.

Even within faculties, some are rated higher than their peers.

At yhe end of the day, there will always be competition for students but now it may be based on outcomes and reputation if students are considering the direction of their expenditure.

Puts on tin foil hat...

The fed govt is preparing to sell universities. ATM they're not a very saleable asset.
  • Deregulate (read increase) fees.
  • Increase HECS interest rates.
  • Make HECS debts recoverable from former students estates.
  • Make Uni's more corporate so they get rid of 'unnecessary' costs.

Legs eleven, you've got a nice saleable asset.

Removes tin foil hat...

Agreed, that would fit nicely with Liberal Party ideology.
Sell the student loans.
Sell the universities. Like Ramsay healthcare with health we could have Ramsay tertiary with education. I wonder, though, who would end up holding the unfunded liabilities for the defined benefit staff super. Would that stay with the Sate Governments or would the realised funds go towards a future fund?

It's not different which is exactly the problem. Are you saying that limiting quality education to only those that can afford it is a good thing? If so, why?

The two examples given are families that have a choice, many don't, and what becomes of them? Shall they just "conceive and believe"? Perhaps the govt should be distributing copies of 'The Secret'?

There are Catholic Universities. The Church had to do something with their now disused monasteries sitting on all that prime real estate. I don't know whether the properties were sold or leased though.

Back