Soft-close drawers and other little WOW-factor things

As nice as it was, there was no way I'd spend that much so I've set $2k as a limit. $1k if I build it myself :)

I wonder why they chose this even though the building is only 5 years old...

I would love to put a shower in as currently the shower I use the most is an in-bath type. In the year I've been here I've never taken a bath.... but maybe this is ok? It does have a cool double-folding glass door :D
(apartment is in North Sydney, 53 seconds walk from the bus stop with buses to the city every 2-3 minutes.)

Apparently a decent vanity is more expensive than i thought?

Possibly a lack of space? Not sure.

I don't like the bath in shower, but as i said, the unit i saw had it and it looked really nice!

Lol, 53 seconds precisely!

I would not think spending $2K on a vanity is necessary. Is the basin that is there nice? Maybe you could add some nice storage elsewhere.

What about "pushing into" the space between the wall studs and making open storage. You could put doors on if you prefer, and leave some open. Our bathroom mirror above our pedestal basin looks like it is just a mirror on the wall, but it opens to a narrow depth cupboard with a mirror back for our toothbrushes, hair stuff, sunblock etc.

We also have a full height linen cupboard in the bathroom, so there is plenty of storage.

We found a really nice vanity in Harvey Norman, 1 sink and heaps of bench space, nice glossy fronts, innovative pullout with a cutout for the drain pipe... $3k + delivery + installation + fittings. As nice as it was, there was no way I'd spend that much so I've set $2k as a limit. $1k if I build it myself :)

Another minus 1 vote for the bidet. Not making that "investment" anytime soon...

!

If it cost $3K in HN, you'll be able to get almost exactly the same style vanity for far less if you contact a bathroom installer.

I think most people think of "French bidets" when you say bidet... but I think you were referring to the Japanese style of bidet/ toilet seat................... Go for it, I say!! I think they cost around $1000 and you get heated toilet seat, "privacy noises", his and her sprays and the joy of having a talking piece in your bathroom. Also, if your apartment is in Nth Sydney, you can target the Asian market when you are selling!!

cheers
Pen

Hi all,

We are busy renovating our Bibra Lake property and have decided to replace the kitchen, bathroom, laundry and ensuite amongst other things like a facelift in and out to bring the old girl into the current century.

We have have got some quotes for all of the cabinetry and the best was from a small company in Landsdale. All doors and drawer fronts are baked 2 pack, doors are soft close Blum and bench tops are granite. We need to add the plumbing basin and taps. (All bought off Ebay)

I don't know the size of your vanity chylld but the attached may give you some idea of what can be achieved by looking around a bit.

Wet Areas.jpg

Cheers

Chrisv

Like anything the skies the limit. We bought a nice 900mm vanity with semi recessed sink and etched glass doors for under $500.

Some nice finds (NOT 2 L8, you too!) - may I ask for pointers on where to look for bargains like this? Obviously the retail outlets aren't the last word in value.

What about "pushing into" the space between the wall studs and making open storage. You could put doors on if you prefer, and leave some open. Our bathroom mirror above our pedestal basin looks like it is just a mirror on the wall, but it opens to a narrow depth cupboard with a mirror back for our toothbrushes, hair stuff, sunblock etc.

Pushing into the space is an awesome idea. I think places that offer unexpected storage have good WOW factor :) For example our current unit had storage on both sides of the kitchen counter (open plan, counter between kitchen and dining) - what we thought were just decorative panels actually hid about 2 full height bookshelves' worth of junk space :p

I assume that's during off peak?

53 seconds is the walking time from my apartment block's front door to the closest bus stop. It may not be exact (definitely <1min) but it is regardless of peak/offpeak :)

I think most people think of "French bidets" when you say bidet... but I think you were referring to the Japanese style of bidet/ toilet seat................... Go for it, I say!! I think they cost around $1000 and you get heated toilet seat, "privacy noises", his and her sprays and the joy of having a talking piece in your bathroom. Also, if your apartment is in Nth Sydney, you can target the Asian market when you are selling!!

HAHA big mistake on my part! Sorry I forgot to mention to everyone I was referring to the Japanese-style bidet toilet seats, not the French ones. These are essentially the same as a normal western toilet seat, but with a control panel that lets you get washed clean rather than having to wipe yourself.

Click picture below for more info:

Some nice finds (NOT 2 L8, you too!) - may I ask for pointers on where to look for bargains like this? Obviously the retail outlets aren't the last word in value.

Of recent times I have used these guys to buy bathroom fittings. They certainly are prepared to talk price when you go and see them personally.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Osmans-Home-Improvements

At all cost avoid Harvey Normal get the idea and then shop elsewhere:D

Cheers

I replaced the bath tub with a frameless sliding shower screen last year like this one was only $1100 including instalation we hadnt used the bath tub in 5 years.
http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P11535469.jpg

Also used the extra space to put a second toilet in the bathroom I bought the toilet through a ebay seller and it had a soft closing lid I really like this feature. Got it through a importer that sold through ebay and only cost me $250

Also installed the mother of all shower heads that looks like something out of the tardis has a big monsoon shower head I love this shower.

Not sure if these added much value but they make the start of each day very nice.

Also used the extra space to put a second toilet in the bathroom......

:eek: I hope you mean "I put a second toilet in the house, adding one to the bathroom, and separate from the original toilet elsewhere."

I have bad pictures in my head of two people using the two toilets in your bathroom, chatting about the soft closing lids :p:D:eek:

:eek: I hope you mean "I put a second toilet in the house, adding one to the bathroom, and separate from the original toilet elsewhere."

I have bad pictures in my head of two people using the two toilets in your bathroom, chatting about the soft closing lids :p:D:eek:

yes thats what i meant, hahahaha thats a funny image though

Getting rid of bath

I have bad pictures in my head of two people using the two toilets in your bathroom, chatting about the soft closing lids

Priceless!

I would be very careful about getting rid of the bath if you plan to sell in a few years and are aiming at the young couple/family market. Anyone planning a family or with young childen will definitely want a bath.

Agree with Melbmeg, I wouldn't get rid of the bath as professional couples often include +1 youngster, this is usually before they realise that they will need to move to something larger and further out after all. My only comment about the bidet is that we recently bought an investment property which had one already installed (just like the picture) and the bidet actually turned off potential tenants. When the property rented, we received a request within weeks to have it removed.

Japanese toilets

Have to admit it would put me off because I have hideous memories of visiting a family in Japan and having the toilet turn on me! I pressed a few random buttons (not knowing how to work the thing) and water started squirting all over the room. I couldn't work out how to turn it off and had to watch as it flooded the place. It was mortifying.

Have to admit it would put me off because I have hideous memories of visiting a family in Japan and having the toilet turn on me! I pressed a few random buttons (not knowing how to work the thing) and water started squirting all over the room. I couldn't work out how to turn it off and had to watch as it flooded the place. It was mortifying.

The same thing happened to me the first time I used one! Of course, you are always facing the toilet when you start pressing buttons.... and the sprays are all so well directed for maximum embarrassment!!
The funny thing for me is that you have all these buttons for sprays and noises etc, but none for flushing.... for that, you have to look all round the toilet to find the original flush.
But I still love them... and North Sydney has a big Japanese/ Asian population. So I think it would work well.
Pen

Agree with Melbmeg, I wouldn't get rid of the bath as professional couples often include +1 youngster, this is usually before they realise that they will need to move to something larger and further out after all. My only comment about the bidet is that we recently bought an investment property which had one already installed (just like the picture) and the bidet actually turned off potential tenants. When the property rented, we received a request within weeks to have it removed.

yep to this. I'm an aussie, I like to wipe my own a*se thanks. ;)

Definitely stick to the obvious upgrades, because (quite frankly) a potiental buyer or renter is unlikely to even notice anything else. And even if they do, they aren't make or break factors, merely "oh that's nice", with no real influence. There is a reason why everyone goes for the obvious things.

Stone benchtops, quality appliances, nice curtains / rails, doornobs, towel racks, floorings, etc.

yep to this. I'm an aussie, I like to wipe my own a*se thanks. ;)

Definitely stick to the obvious upgrades, because (quite frankly) a potiental buyer or renter is unlikely to even notice anything else. And even if they do, they aren't make or break factors, merely "oh that's nice", with no real influence. There is a reason why everyone goes for the obvious things.

Stone benchtops, quality appliances, nice curtains / rails, doornobs, towel racks, floorings, etc.

hahaah well said! Of course wiping yourself is still an option no matter how fancy the seat (it's not like I'd take away the toilet roll!) but I can see the two sides to installing this. Just like the wallpaper I recently put up, it'll definitely fall into the category of lifestyle choice (for us since we're living here) and not strictly for valuation.

Another way I was thinking about little things like this was when a potential buyer discusses the day's opens with their significant other. "What do you think about the one with the large kitchen?" "Which one...?" "Or the one with the view onto the bushland?" "ermmmm..." "How about the one with that funky Japanese toilet gizmo?" "OH THAT ONE!!!" No immediate increase in value by itself, but possibly indirectly through sheer uniqueness :)

Before I get too carried away with my own unfounded theories though, I think the only big thing that I'm missing is a bathroom vanity. It's only a 5yo apartment so all the knobs fittings caesarstone benches etc are all in top order. All road-facing windows are double-glazed, I'm assuming it's not going to be worth it to triple glaze the main living area since my friends say it's quiet enough already, but I can still hear the big trucks and buses... another lifestyle choice I guess.

"What do you think about the one with the large kitchen?" "Which one...?" "Or the one with the view onto the bushland?" "ermmmm..." "How about the one with that funky Japanese toilet gizmo?" "OH THAT ONE!!!" No immediate increase in value by itself, but possibly indirectly through sheer uniqueness :)

Just quietly, if i saw that on the toilet seat i wouldn't remember it, and i'd have no idea what it was after inspecting the house.

Another way I was thinking about little things like this was when a potential buyer discusses the day's opens with their significant other. "What do you think about the one with the large kitchen?" "Which one...?" "Or the one with the view onto the bushland?" "ermmmm..." "How about the one with that funky Japanese toilet gizmo?" "OH THAT ONE!!!" No immediate increase in value by itself, but possibly indirectly through sheer uniqueness :)

You could achieve the "unique" factor to have prospective buyers remember your house without spending up big on a fancy toilet seat/washer.

Maybe a birthday cake sitting on top of the toilet seat, or something similarly "unusual" :p:D

They will remember the toilet seat, and it has only cost you $5 from Woolies :D:eek:.

Back