Soil Test in new estate

Hi all,

I've put a holding deposit down on a block and am in the process of getting some amendments put in the contract and seeking pre-approval on a loan.

I am trying to estimate my site costs and it seems that soil quality and slope of block are big factors. I am buying in Stage 1 of a new estate in Torquay, Victoria.

I requested a geotechnical survey from the real estate agent, but they are unable to provide it. Would you recommend getting a soil test done? Any other tips for things to do at this stage?

I have a copy of the fill plan and the stage one engineering. All I can see is that on my block there's a large area where "the overall depth of controlled fill exceeds 300mm" but, to be honest, I have no idea what that means.

Any tips?

Thanks very much in advance.

I am trying to estimate my site costs and it seems that soil quality and slope of block are big factors....

They are big factors as are whether or not your chosen builder "loads up" the site costs of their quote with 'other stuff'.

Safest bet for you at this stage would be to get 3 x quotes off project home builders for building the whole house on the block you have chosen.

:eek:
Hi all,

I've put a holding deposit down on a block and am in the process of getting some amendments put in the contract and seeking pre-approval on a loan.

I am trying to estimate my site costs and it seems that soil quality and slope of block are big factors. I am buying in Stage 1 of a new estate in Torquay, Victoria.

I requested a geotechnical survey from the real estate agent, but they are unable to provide it. Would you recommend getting a soil test done? Any other tips for things to do at this stage?

I have a copy of the fill plan and the stage one engineering. All I can see is that on my block there's a large area where "the overall depth of controlled fill exceeds 300mm" but, to be honest, I have no idea what that means.

Any tips?

Thanks very much in advance.

If you are not sure get a soil test. Poor soils can add a massive ammount to the build costs. This way you can take the test to the builders and get a real cost on the build.

300mm of fill on my block increased the footing depth from a standard 600mm deep to 950mm deep with double the reinforcing steel reguired, result: footings allowance on build contract (for 140m sq home) went from $17,000 to the actual cost being $30,000 ouch, if i had got the soil test done first I would have been prepared for this cost and budgeted better for it.

Instead of getting a soil test at this stage, I have just put a special condition in the contract that says it is subject to a satisfactory soil test. If the soil test reveals too many problems, I can pull out. Does this seem like a good idea to you?

Instead of getting a soil test at this stage, I have just put a special condition in the contract that says it is subject to a satisfactory soil test. If the soil test reveals too many problems, I can pull out. Does this seem like a good idea to you?

Sounds a bit subjective and vague. How about putting some specifics in your clause which makes it definitive that you will be satisfied/unsatisfied.

pinkboy

the idea of having a clause, or doing a soil test is to determine build cost, and withdraw if its too much. As alluded to earlier, each builder will calculate site costs diferently. In many respects it doesnt matter what the soil test says until its in the engineering and drawings of a full building contract.

Get a building contract, get it valued by the bank, then go unconditional on the land, not before.

This is what I have done on 2 different vacant land purchases. I also put a date against this ie "satisfactory soil test by 22nd August 2013". I do NOT quantify what "satisfactory" constitutes.

JB

Hi all,
I am in pretty much the same situation here.
The land that I am looking at is a bit of a slope, and I do not think the vendor has done a geotechnical test. Though having said, this is the last vacant block of land on the street with 20 or so houses, so clearly building can't be *THAT* hard.

So my plan. 1) Ask the neighbors either side if they've had any issues with land or if they had a GT test done recently.
2) Pay for a GT test myself before making an offer.

however, I do not really want to sink $1,200 into this only to find out that the soils are poor OR b beaten by someone else who has make a +20K offer on the property over mine. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I am aware of how much this can add to the build cost. A guy in Wollongong reckons it was +100K to the foundations of his place (though it was a McMansion).

If you have a particular builder in mind to build the house, ask them who they contract out their soil tests to. I had an engineer check out my block who said it was within standard (n?) and then when I got 2 building tenders, each soil test came back as h2/p.

Hi all,
I am in pretty much the same situation here.
The land that I am looking at is a bit of a slope, and I do not think the vendor has done a geotechnical test. Though having said, this is the last vacant block of land on the street with 20 or so houses, so clearly building can't be *THAT* hard.

So my plan. 1) Ask the neighbors either side if they've had any issues with land or if they had a GT test done recently.
2) Pay for a GT test myself before making an offer.

however, I do not really want to sink $1,200 into this only to find out that the soils are poor OR b beaten by someone else who has make a +20K offer on the property over mine. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I am aware of how much this can add to the build cost. A guy in Wollongong reckons it was +100K to the foundations of his place (though it was a McMansion).

In the grand scheme of building what is $1200?

Might cost you a lot more than 10k if you find out you're building on fill because you wanted to wing it.

Might cost you a lot more than 10k if you find out you're building on fill because you wanted to wing it.

No doubt true, and I agree.

Not everyone has the cash to dump on soil tests before even buying a block.

So Ill rehash my answer:

3 nice taps! :D

pinkboy

No doubt true, and I agree.

Not everyone has the cash to dump on soil tests before even buying a block.

So Ill rehash my answer:

3 nice taps! :D

pinkboy

True... $1200 is not worth thiking about in the scheme of $450K project. Unless, as mentioned by pinky. It is on a speculative purchase and you get outbid.

Pinky - what did you mean by '3 nice taps?'

True... $1200 is not worth thiking about in the scheme of $450K project. Unless, as mentioned by pinky. It is on a speculative purchase and you get outbid.

Pinky - what did you mean by '3 nice taps?'

The $1200 spent on a soil test means you can't spend it on 3 nice taps! :p

pinkboy

Back