Granny flat proposal

Seeking some advice from seasoned SS contributors before I go any further with my plan to put a GF on my block in Guildford. The builder of the newish house already there can put a 3 bedder there in the same style, still waiting for figures but under 140 k, I am aware of the soil and paid a lot for the site works of the current house, however I had the site back filled significantly when I finished demolishing the old house so hopefully it would be much less. The builders are happy to do soil testing before they come up with a final figure. Mortgage broker seems confident I can raise the money via equity, the house there is also rented out but I have not discussed with them yet. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions would be very gratefully received.

you may be missing what ancillary accomodation is all about. max size 70sqm, biggest i can get is a small 2x2 so i would be questioning a 3 bed inside that area.

i would also allow for a carbay in midland unless you are right next to the trainstation.

the 'granny flat' can't be seperately titled, but you can put a sub meter in for water - unsure about power.

is it a granny flat or a build strata dwelling you are looking to do?

Thank you for responding. I know the max is 70. I am thinking a 3 x 1 with the other two rooms quite small, or, a 2 x 1 with bigger rooms. There is tandem parking for about 6 cars, it is very near the train station. Zoning would prevent strata, the way I read it, but since the legislation changed last year would permit a granny flat. It would be sited next door to the newish house, not to the rear, so access is easy.

okay cool - you seem reasonably abreast of what the requirements are.

a 3 bedder inside this space is going to be pretty tight though. you'd have a living room about 4 x 4 and that's it, along with 2 super small 2.4 x 2.4 rooms and maybe a main bed of not-much-bigger.

Gee yeah the bedrooms seem tiny. I'd go for 2 bedrooms.

If your putting tenants in the Granny Flat. I'd be going for 2 bedrooms. Because you would be attracting more people with a 3 bedder. And depending how close the Granny Flat is to the house you may have too many people too close to each other. This could cause other little tenancy issues.

I guess you need to consider your target market as well.

They call a Granny Flat a 'Granny Flat' cause thats who they can attract. I know my Granny would prefer 2 beds not 3 small. haha

NSW only allow for 60sqm and you can make a comfortable 2 bed granny flat with bedrooms of 3.05 x 3.4 and 2.9x2.9 usable space.

70sqm would easily allow a 3 bed. Sure its not going to have a huge 5x8m combined living and dining, but 3.8 x 4.9 while not large is still comfortable.

I'm certainly rethinking the three bedrooms, that is awfully small. Not too close to the main house, maybe 10 metres or so? I'm not sure how far it physically needs to be away from the main house whether side by side or in the rear, I know the council wants about a 6 metre setback and 1.5 from the boundary to the side. That would still leave tonnes of room though. I have also discussed putting a verandah to the front, same as the existing house but bigger, after I built it was obvious that the verandah was too narrow to do anything with, even sit there. The builder has said the verandah is not included in the allowable limits of 70m, so I could have a wider one, it will cost more of course (of course!)

Sounds good. It must be a good distance away from the main house. That's great as far as tenants go. I've found that if you can separate them as much as possible Fence / Distance etc it will allow you to get more rent for each. (they won't be living in each others pockets).

Back