Soil tests reveal back half of block is unstable

Hey everyone,

I haven't seen the report but the agent has told me a particular sale has fallen through due to a soil test revealing unstable soil in the back half

Its a development site, and the agent was unsure what it meant, but she thinks it means the soil is soft so it has be built on differently

Any experts out there?

This could be interesting, potential bargain or potential nightmare????

Get professional advice just my suggestion, depending on soil type, what is required to stabilize - could cost big $.

You want an accurate opinion by the right professinal with something like this, you need someone to come to the site, no guess work here.

Where is the Site located? what size is it? Most of the issues i can think of (For a standard development) wouldn't be backbreaking depending on there margins?
Could still be viable to the right person!

Thanks everyone, it's in regional Vic, and is on about half an acre, development potential, maybe not immediately, but definitely down the track and is priced well too ;)

I'm going to check it out and try and get my hands on this report and if it's a minor issues, then will snap it up

Hey everyone,

I haven't seen the report but the agent has told me a particular sale has fallen through due to a soil test revealing unstable soil in the back half

Its a development site, and the agent was unsure what it meant, but she thinks it means the soil is soft so it has be built on differently

Any experts out there?

Unstable soil doesn't mean that the soil can't be constructed on. What it would be implying though is that any footing structure placed on it needs to be designed to accommodate bigger potential movements in the soil - i.e. more costly footing construction.

(From a structural engineer with geotech experience)

Hey everyone,

Any experts out there?

Sounds like it might be P Type soil.

I would be VERY careful.

It may or may not require
- digging out 1000mm and getting in Class A fill soil and then building on top of that.
- different foundations
- different slab types
- different stormwater disposal

Sites in Perth which aren't as bad as that can add $100k in extra costs.

Back