Building on Acid Sulphate Soils

Morning everyone,

Looking at a big cheap block that is classed as being in Class 1 or 2 Acid Sulphate. Has anyone built on these sorts of soils and could you provide some enlightenment as to the problems you encountered with developing?

Its cheap and we were looking at it to build on and subdivide. I understand soil tests and management practices would need to be done before council would even look at it. I am wondering how likely councils are to approve development on these soils.

Area is Lake Mac, and athough I haven't yet dealt with them directly, I have heard they can be real Ba**@rds.

Thanks in advance:)

You're best talking to a geotech or similar firm to find out the requirements to bring it up to council standard.

You might need to take out xx depth soil and replace with clean fill. This can be a pretty expensive exercise depending on the size of the land.

Consultants and testing are not cheap either but if it tests fine at the end of it then your council should allow it. Have you looked on the council website to see if they have any information about their requirements?

Back