Somebody please hit my head hard

Hi Devank,

In my humble opinion you should definitely do it. Life is a journey and all three elements of mind, body and spirit need to be nurtured along that journey. When you get to be as old as I am, which is not that old but old enough to start looking backwards, you only ever regret the things you didn't do.

A PHD is a very admirable achievement and if afforded the opportunity now to do one then I say go for it.

No regrets!

I have an MBA and thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience and the emotional reward from the achievement itself. Whether or not you can put a monetary value to the achievement is irrelevant.

Just do it.

Cheers,
Michael

I'm just browsing this thread though seems others have the same view as me.

Do it.

There's more to life than making money. PhDs (when done right) provide a contribution to pushing forward the boundaries of human knowledge ever so much.

You can't take your money with you. Somewhere down the line you'll have a financially un-sauvvy grand something who will loose the family inheritance. At least with academia you can contribute to mankind and anyone can pick up the ball where you left off.

Perhaps a romanticised view of academia yet nothing romantic about a slightly fatter bank account.

I have an MBA and thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience and the emotional reward from the achievement itself. Whether or not you can put a monetary value to the achievement is irrelevant.

100% agree.

But, and this is no criticism of you Michael, your MBA was from the AGSM.

So it was always likely going to be a fulfilling experience both personally and financially.

Some PhDs, it could be argued, do fall into that category (and not just because they can get you a gig in Academia). Economics PhDs, for example, tend to do well for themselves (esp if their interests are more mainstream and can be applied to macroeconomic modelling / microeconomic modelling as it relates to government policy).

But many don't.

[Yeah, I'm running both sides of the argument here]

Good points Mark,

My understanding of PHDs is limited, but I would expect its only as good as your sponsor/mentor. And only Devank can make that judgement call.

Regardless of the institution, if you are working under someone who can help you collate your thinking and make a compelling argument/conclusion, then you will no doubt benefit from the process. The letters at the end of your name are less important, but certainly not irrelevant from a personal self-actualisation perspective.

Thanks for the input, started ME thinking... :D

Cheers,
Michael

Go on - Do it

I am at the writing up stage of my doctorate. Have done it while holding down a full time job. It will be 7 years from start to finish. I have a bit of a chuckle when I see my first (very ambitious) timing plan that had me finished in 4 years.

Has it been hard - yes
Have i wanted to give up - yes
Will it help me in my career - possibly but that was not the motivation
Have I loved it - Yes but not always
Biggest fear - what the hell am I going to do with my time when it is done
I will have to start watching TV again!

I had to laugh at the irony of quoting a college dropout to encourage Devan to do the PhD.

..... perhaps they have something in common, the drop out pursued his passion, Devan will be doing the same...... I think;)

This quote by Jobs was part of a speech that he presented to students in US, ironic indeed.... but so appropriate..... Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish..... yes to that one:)

Last edited:
This quote by Jobs was part of a speech that he presented to students in US, ironic indeed.... but so appropriate..... Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish..... yes to that one:)

I wouldn't say ironic, as such. Think about it. He's encouraging them to stay in school, rack up huge amounts of debt, which forces them to become employees (some of them for Apple), that is if they're lucky enough to get a job, which he can then exploit for his own gain.

Encouraging them to stay in school benefits him.

I wouldn't say ironic, as such. Think about it. He's encouraging them to stay in school, rack up huge amounts of debt, which forces them to become employees (some of them for Apple), that is if they're lucky enough to get a job, which he can then exploit for his own gain.

Encouraging them to stay in school benefits him.

Conspiracy theory much?

Dr Devan K

It does have a certain ring to it!

Am currently supporting DH with his HD. I schedule weeks out at a time for him to write up.
I have a ticket to his graduation ceremony...

and I will seriously look at starting my Ph D in the next year or 2, when I can find the right subject.

I know the hardest bit is having family support. Do you have that? If so, then the only way is up! I completed my 3 degrees without family support, and It was really hard.
Good Luck

I hope this helps

If your heart and desire is in it then do it. I do not understand and disagree with many that we should only pursue material accomplishments. We all have limited window of opportunity in this lifetime and if your dream is to have a PhD then go for it....
A happy life is a fulfilled life in many other respects not just in monetary way. Also, I think the time is right whenever one is ready so not determined by age, etc...
Good luck in whatever you decide!

Conspiracy theory much?

In what way? Huge corporate entities need employees, usually with degrees. Of course guys like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are going to encourage people to stay in school. It also reduces the talent pool that turns into potential competitors for them.

Back