Somersoft clock

I've noticed when reading through various threads that posts often have times that don't seem to relate to my own computer clock and are often hours ahead of mine. I know that there are different time zones in Oz & OS but surely not as many as would appear on Somersoft, especially when taking into account the location of the posters. Is the time that is shown for a post the time that appears on the poster's own clock? Does the lack of consistency bother anyone else? Can it be standardised? Am I imagining all this? :confused:

Bernly you are not imagining the clock thing, when I first found Somersoft forum I noticed it...and my time difference here restarted with the finish of daylight saving, now my computer is at different time to Somersoft.

I'm not sure what goes on in the intricate system and bowels of internet sites...:confused: :p

I'm on Vic time here, Pam time to be exact.:)

If you click on the "User CP" option at the bar almost at the top of the page, and then choose the "Edit Options" down the Left Hand side, you should find an option "Date & Time options". Choose an option which is appropriate for you- there is an option for Adlaide & Darwin, if that is applicable.

Also worthy of note...

The setting, I believe, only works when you're logged in. So, when you log in, be sure to check the "Remember me" checkbox, so the computer you use doesn't forget about you.

Hope that helps. :)

So, GeoffW, what time are you on? Here in SA my computer clock is showing 8.43pm and yet your post which has appeared in the last couple of minutes is showing 10.08pm. NSW is only 30 minutes ahead of SA. :confused: Are you still on daylight saving time?

Cheers

p.s. Did you just change your time or am I going crazy? How could you change your time AFTER you posted? I think i need a drink.

So, GeoffW, what time are you on? Here in SA my computer clock is showing 8.43pm and yet your post which has appeared in the last couple of minutes is showing 10.08pm. NSW is only 30 minutes ahead of SA. :confused: Are you still on daylight saving time?

Cheers

p.s. Did you just change your time or am I going crazy? How could you change your time AFTER you posted? I think i need a drink.

The computer clock is different to the forum clock. As Geoff says go into User CP and set the Somersoft clock to YOUR time zone.

Thanks, ani.

I just checked User CP and the Somersoft clock is set to my timezone. (I can't remember doing it). I'll just try to ignore the time in other posts because some are very obviously out of sync.

As Merovingian said........the problem could be that you aren't logged in. If you don't tick the remember me box you are automatically logged off and that could be effecting your times.

Ruby :)

The computer clock is different to the forum clock. As Geoff says go into User CP and set the Somersoft clock to YOUR time zone.

Spot on.

The clock displayed on this forum is the clock running on the server which hosts this web site, and is Greenwich Mean Time. And the time zone setting you choose in the User CP will add 9.5 hours, (for Adelaide+Darwin), to this time to give you the correct time, (which you currently see on your computer).

That's right, it does. Now. When I wrote my post it was showing 10.08pm. That's why I asked him how he changed it after he had posted.

Moderator magician's wand, perhaps.
It's still showing 9:08PM to me.

No Moderator's wand, I promise. Cross my heart.

(Edit. This post shows 11:17PM to me, Eastern time)

Apologies, Geoff.

I finally understand what you have all been saying. If I'm not logged in the times make no sense. When logged in, the times are synchronised. When your post showed 10.08pm I mustn't have been logged in and then when I logged in with my query a few minutes later your post showed the time that matched my clock. Hence my confusion. And I though you were capable of magic - it's a bit like finding out that the tooth fairy isn't real!:)

I wondered where the delay/differential was coming from:confused: ..............and for a minute I was thinking that the server was somewhere off the Eastern Seaboard........:eek:

ciao

Nor

Seems the clock has another problem, apart from whether one is logged in or not.

REcently I have seen threads listed in the new posts listed, that are allocated a more recent time than the last post within them.
ie
the new post list currently has "carpet vs tiles...." as having last post at 8.29pm by Andrew_A

when you go into the thread, that post was made at 6.39pm

Seems the clock has another problem, apart from whether one is logged in or not.

REcently I have seen threads listed in the new posts listed, that are allocated a more recent time than the last post within them.
ie
the new post list currently has "carpet vs tiles...." as having last post at 8.29pm by Andrew_A

When a thread is a poll, the latest time is the last time a person has voted- it's NOT the last time a post was made.

The reason for this is that people can keep a track on a poll's results.

ie

It's not a problem with the clock WW......its just a poll, when someone votes it shows that as the last time. :eek: Doesn't have anything to do with when the last post was made. Annoying, I know......also annoying that it bumps it to the top of the new posts. :(

Annoying, I know......also annoying that it bumps it to the top of the new posts. :(
The software, as I understand, has an option of updating the time every time somebody votes (which is the way it stands), or not updating until somebody creates a new post.

The problem with the second option is that a poll with a lot of new votes may disappear without people knowing the poll result.

Though my own personal preference is the second option.

If it was user selectable, it would be great. But I don't believe it is.

Should we create a poll? :D

Back