Somersoft leading indicator through the roof

Brisbane seems to have been the flavour of the month for a while now. Do many people actually think it will be the next to have a 'big' move?

Boom was predicted for brissy last year, but it has not happened, its fizzed off, I dont think it will happen in 2015 either, unemployment and the ecomony in this State I believe is the issue

Melb and Syd seem to still have some steam

Boom was predicted for brissy last year, but it has not happened, its fizzed off, I dont think it will happen in 2015 either, unemployment and the ecomony in this State I believe is the issue

Melb and Syd seem to still have some steam

I think they will continue to say that it will boom until finally it does, every property magazine across the country for the next so many years will have headlines: is this year going to be Brisbane's year?

So you're predicting a significant price correction in Adelaide due to the unemployment rate?
No, but I don't think the unemployment rate in SA has peaked yet (trending higher) and I think a price boom is unlikely with the existing weak economic conditions (which are likely to get worse before they get better). IMO best case is probably another year or two with prices grinding sideways (below inflation) in Adelaide.

No, but I don't think the unemployment rate in SA has peaked yet (trending higher) and I think a price boom is unlikely with the existing weak economic conditions (which are likely to get worse before they get better). IMO best case is probably another year or two with prices grinding sideways (below inflation) in Adelaide.

If this is the case, how do you view the significant current upward trend which has happened in many parts of Adelaide in the last 6-12 months whilst the unemployment rate has risen at the same time?

If this is the case, how do you view the significant current upward trend which has happened in many parts of Adelaide in the last 6-12 months whilst the unemployment rate has risen at the same time?

it's counter intuitive hey? at the end of a very prolonged period of prosperity in this country and now facing severe economic headwinds we are having a property boom. is it hot cash coming off the shock market? or is property just the best dog out of the pack. Regardless, if you lock at generic buy and hold stocks, property, cash.... none of them look great in this environment. The main concern is average people that just want somewhere to live that are buying at these prices - could end in tears

Have we ever left a city behind in long term? It has to be Brisbane next.

For those interested in Brissy, not terribly exciting
http://www.yourinvestmentpropertyma...om-the-2015-january-market-report-194809.aspx

Outlook: What?s ahead
In recovery and with growth on the cards, Queensland is generating increasingly positive commentary. Yet there is still a degree of hesitancy from the experts when it comes to discussion of the property markets.

One reason for this could be that predicted price growth in Brisbane is expected to continue to be moderate. This means it won?t get the same spectacular growth as seen in Sydney and Melbourne recently.

Wilson says Brisbane is starting to rise after being behind the pack for the last 12 to 18 months, and is now in catch-up mode. The city will see real growth, but he believes it will be moderate.

?We?re not going to see a boom situation, such as double-digit growth, in this market. I would pick growth of 7?10%, probably 7%. It depends on where the local economy is going ? and they?re still relatively underperforming ? plus there?s also a state election coming up.?

I would hate to be going fresh into Sydney - wow what a tough life taking on a mortgage of that scale. I am truly gobsmacked that the median ever got close to what it already is. I can understand why all and sundry are calling bubble trubble.

surely it's as simple as the negative sentiment to resources at present? All the explorers and mining companies that I talk to up there are not doing anything

Unemployment is rising, same in Canberra. Auction clearance rates in Brisbane are lower than Adelaide.
This site is supposed to be for experts, not speculators! "It's got to be next." doesn't sound very scientific does it ;)

Dead cat bounce + a bit of a kick in the pants from lower interest rates + some out of state investors.

Do you think that house prices are completely divorced from the economic conditions of their locale?

I like looking at old threads like this !
It looks like we have had that nice growth since 2013 ....and perhaps another 9 to 12 months more to come ?
When interest rates rise again , we will see the air come out of this bubble.
Just history repeating.
David

surely it's as simple as the negative sentiment to resources at present? All the explorers and mining companies that I talk to up there are not doing anything

Perhaps?? Eventually Brissy will boom because it will be considered so cheap compared to other capital cities?? which is the case I guess at the moment? But I don't see a rising market yet??

MTR:)

Do you think that house prices are completely divorced from the economic conditions of their locale?

At times yes , in particular when it's a smaller market being influenced by larger markets .

Historically Sydney moves first and the the rest follow .

In the previous cycle , I had several patients , who sold their Mt Druitt houses for high prices who went and bought elsewhere , which was one part of the reason why those places moved .

You also have the contagion effect , it's catching , lots of hype about Sydney , you get a few people from Sydney melb buy in Adelaide and people start talking , watching . Some buy and that moves the market a bit and so it goes .

I saw it up close and personal last cycle in particular in rocky .

Cliff

Last edited:
Back