Sometimes life throws a curve ball....

well, I kind of got scared off giving updates (and also reading anything related to preventing or healing cancer) by one of our forum members, who was quite abusive in another thread..... and whom I think may have recently returned under another name. But someone asked me to, so I will.
But if I cope any cr*p from this loony, or have anyone telling me that chemo is killing me, then I'll only do PM updates on request...:(

Alot has happened since I did my last update... so this is a long one.

Looking back, I last updated when I started my 2nd line of chemo. I have to say that it was very easy. I had no nausea, minimal tiredness and no other negative symptoms from the chemo. I travelled to Germany just before my final round of chemo in Sept. On the way, I began to get some severe hip pain... it wasnt constant, but when it came, it was unbearable. Fortunately, the company I work for make wheelchairs, so I was able to get around. I came home, had final chemo and had my scans. They were all clear, and there was no sign of what might have been causing the pain, so it didnt seem to be cancer related.

But, over the next couple of months, it got worse. So, I went early for my next scans and also booked in for an MRI. By this stage, I was unable to walk further than from one room to another at home. I was using a wheelchair almost constantly and I was in lots of pain. (but I was still travelling for work!! :D)
I was also on painkillers, which were causing me to get blocked up.
My hubby had to take me to my oncology appt (usually I went alone). the MRI showed up a tumor on my spine, blocking the sacral nerves. I was kind of relieved to know what was going on. There was also a slight growth in the lungs, which was causing my lungs to collapse (I knew there was because I'd started coughing/wheezing again). I guess I was downplaying the pain to the doctors.... but with hubby there, he was more honest! As a result, I was admitted to hospital that day, so they could get the pain and poo under control (constipation is not only caused by painkillers, but it stops them from working, so its a nasty cycle). I was booked in for radiation to the sacrum and since they were doing that, they decided to give the lungs a burst as well. My pain was so bad that I couldnt lie down on the radiation table without crying and screaming, so they had to dose me to the eyeballs with some very nice drugs which gave me a "lucy in the sky with diamonds" experience for several hours each day..... I was still working from m hospital bed, and I was a bit worried about what I might have said during one of my out of body experiences! I ended up being in hospital for 10 days.

oh, and did I mention that this was all in the midst of selling our home, buying a new PPOR and moving?!! I came home from hospital on Thursday evening and moved the following Tuesday... and you might remember we had the removalist from hell!!

But the combo of the radiation and pain control made a big difference, particularly with the pain and the coughing, although I was still fairly immobile. (and I had a very impressive circle of "sunburn", which has only just gone away.) My oncologist wanted to also blast it with some more chemo. So, I started chemo again in January, and am doing my 3rd round of third line chemo this week. Again, I'm having almost no side effects from it, except for a HUGE reduction in pain and increase in mobility. Its been quite amazing. I still need the wheelchair for longer distances, but I'm able to walk about 5x as far as I could before I started. (which is why I get so cranky when people start talking about chemo killing people.. my experience has been nothing but positive)

I'm still working fulltime, which I think is one of my best "treatments". I felt kind of depressed and teary over christmas, when I had 2 weeks holidays.... dwelling on the negative and scary stuff. As soon as I went back to work and had something else to think about, I felt much better. I have far too much to do and achieve to let this cancer get the better of me, and I definitely want to get on a plane again soon. its been far too long between flights!! My managers have been incredibly supportive and kind, and they just treat me like normal. Although one of them wrote something very touching in his end of year wrap up. Its so unlike him that he had me blubbering! (which is unlike me!! :D:D )

Given where I'm at, I feel like I'm doing remarkably well emotionally. I dont feel like I'm blocking emotions, but I dont let them take control either. I generally feel fairly relaxed about it all. (unlike moving house, which was very stressful!) . sleeping and eating just fine. hubby also seems more relaxed. He was amazing when I was in hospital. If roles had been reversed, I dont think I would have coped so well......managing selling, buying, last weeks of school, christmas planning, moving out/ packing, moving in/ unpacking, washing my clothes etc..... he's been a tower of strength and practical support. thanks darling!! :eek:

So, thats me..... thanks to those of you who have asked how I'm doing. I think I'm doing well, but taking it one day at a time for now!

Penny I had no idea you were going through all that. You are truly an inspiration to be able to function like you do. Nobody knows how he/she will react given similar crap to deal with, but I don't think I could stay as positive as you have. You really are amazing.

Stay positive, and know that you have many internet people barracking for you and for your return to better health. If positivity can beat cancer, then you are home and hosed.

Hugs to you...:)

And hugs to your husband and family.

Hi Penny

Thanks for the update! Good to hear you are able to take the chemo so well and it has improved things so much. My wife was absolutely fine on the chemo she was previously on but her current cocktail and dosage is much harder so she's in hospital tonight having some blood transfusions to help deal with it all. Trips to the hospital are becoming more frequent the longer we go with it... but taking a day at a time is definitely the trick.

Wishing you the best of health...

Hi Penny,

Thanks for sharing, I think you are truly an incredible woman to keep the strength you've had all the way through - especially with a further diagnosis. Speedy recovery to you and wishing you all the best!

HiEquity, wishing your wife a speedy recovery too.

I don't think anyone can truly understand exactly what the both of you are going through unless they've been there themselves, including me. Looking forward to further updates.

Sam

Hi Penny

Thanks for the update! Good to hear you are able to take the chemo so well and it has improved things so much. My wife was absolutely fine on the chemo she was previously on but her current cocktail and dosage is much harder so she's in hospital tonight having some blood transfusions to help deal with it all. Trips to the hospital are becoming more frequent the longer we go with it... but taking a day at a time is definitely the trick.

Wishing you the best of health...

Sorry to hear that HE.. hope the blood transfusion works well.
I realised I'm very blessed to be able to cope with chemo as well as I do. I think one of the reasons is that I feel an improvement fairly instantly (unlike many people who have no/minimal symptoms prior to chemo and feel like ***** when they are on chemo!). I just walked out to the kitchen a few minutes ago and thought "i love chemo".. I had it yday and today I can already feel a reduction in pain and improvement in mobility. For me, its like a magic wand..

and thanks to all for best wishes/ encouragements. I know one of the reasons I've managed so well is the huge support network I have. So many positive thoughts from others has to make a difference....

Hi Penny

Your story is inspiring ..that you have managed to thrive despite it all, is so uplfiting. My thoughts and prayers (yes, I beleive) are with you for complete recovery.

Amelia

Thanks for the update Penny. You and your hubby are just sensational role models. Lot of hugs and positive thoughts sent.

Best Wishes

As someone who has had life changing chronic illness, I can empathise. In my case it took many years to get a dx during which time my health deteriorated. Just remember that its ok to not always be strong. Its taken me a long time to learn this. All the very best in your healing journey.

Cheers V

Hope you continue building strength and in as least pain as possible Penny, inspiring and courageous you are. Hope all goes well for your wife too HiE. My brother initially had good response to his treatment, but it wasn't knocking off the cancer, they hit him with more powerful chemo and it did budge the cancer but took a debilitating toll upon his health and wellbeing.

He fights on, he does not know how to not fight this disease. Now it's regain strength to go ahead with his bone marrow transplant, he is just back doing part time the 'work' he loves, like Penny he wants some sense of life and normality 'away from the cancer'. It helps him focus and keep his mind occupied to some degree, while we just continue to support him, help him, love him, and enjoy every moment with him we can.

Life is indeed a fragile thing.

May the force be with you all guys and gals.

Hi,
Please accept my thanks for all the well-wishes.
For those who don't know me, 'Amy' is actually a 64 year old male who was diagnosed with prostate cancer 18 months ago.
Penny is 42, and deserves all the support we can muster at this difficult time.
I thank you all for giving her such good advice and encouragement, and I guess Penny realizes that we at Somersoft are behind her 100%.
Once again, best wishes, Penny.
Amy

Amy, how are things with you? Keep us filled in as to your progress.

Looking back at her posts is a moving experience.

Oh how she tried, she did her best at all times.

One year on, I hope she is in a better world, free from pain and suffering.

May God Bless you Penny and all who you left behind.

RIP Penny

Hiya

Very mellow today as i pause and reflected on Penny's life...thanks Penny for reminding me to smell the flowers along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back