Sorry for such a basic question!

Hi,

We deal exclusively in the residential market so sorry for the question but just wondering if someone could explain how commercial leases work?

Eg. in the paper you see 5+5yr lease or 10+10yr lease....what does this mean? How do the commercial leases work?

:eek:

HI there
the reference is usually to an initial term of five (5) years with an option for a further (5) years after appropriate notice is given.

Commercial leases are far more favourable for the landlord with the tenant obliged to pay most outgoings for the property and also maintain the property - often having an obligation to refurbish it during the tenancy.

thanks

does that mean with commercial leases, there's usually not an option for them to lease for a shorter period of time? So if its 5+5yrs, they lease for 5yrs and if they want to stay on then they have to sign up for a further 5yrs?

HI there
yes they take it on for the further 5 years. What they can do is "ässign" the lease to someone else if they want to move on
thanks

The lease agreement will also have an agreed annual increase in rent. Usually something like 5%pa, or CPI + 2% etc. Then at the end of the 5yrs, if the tenant wishes to exercise his option, there is a market rent review at which point if the market has risen substantially - the tenant will be up for substantially more (the one I just had was 20%).

Just keep in mind that the option to renew is the Leasee's not the Leasor's (landlord).

Yes however you also have to remember that the LL can set the new lease price. Depending on the wording of individual leases, they can do what they like. Small guys can be forced out if the LL get's offered mega bucks by national tenants who can afford much more - seen it happen in my industry. It also happens naturally after a while when locations become very popular/chic - gradually the small businesses operators become fewer and fewer in place of large national chains. But hey, that's business!

It can also happen the other way. During the "depression we had to have" rents dropped like lead baloons, in industrial property anyway and vacancy periods became very very long.

BTW I can't see any reason why a leasee can't ask for a different lease period to the one stated in his option when his current lease expires. Of cause the LL doesn't have to agree.

The point about the option being with the leasee is that the LL can't demand a different lease period or rent to a different tenant if the current one wants to pick up his option and is willing to pay the market price.

Sorry to be contrary but to the best of my knowledge a tenant can't assign an option. He can only pick it up or not.

Hi there
but if the tenant has exercised the option - what they have is a lease which can be assigned - with the landlords consent
thanks

.....and said assignment in most well written Leases is extremely difficult to satisfy.....and in the really good Leases, the overall liability of the original Lessee is not expunged by the assignment. This really puts the fire to the feet of the Lessee.

He either carries that liability fully for the further term whilst some other business does what they like - or they give up the Lease if they don't want to pay the market review rental set by the Lessor.

Both options should look reasonably ugly to the Lessee.

If the Lessee is able to simply effortlessly assign the rights and interests of the Lease to any Tom, Dick or Harry, then the Lessors solicitor needs to be run off.....and the Lessor needs to go back to school for having signed it.

.....and said assignment in most well written Leases is extremely difficult to satisfy.....and in the really good Leases, the overall liability of the original Lessee is not expunged by the assignment. This really puts the fire to the feet of the Lessee.

He either carries that liability fully for the further term whilst some other business does what they like - or they give up the Lease if they don't want to pay the market review rental set by the Lessor.

Both options should look reasonably ugly to the Lessee.

Spot on! My parents were in this situation years back with Con Makris. Mum wanted to sell the business but it was almost time for the new lease. But because she was a good tenant and Con liked her, he wouldn't let the new guy on the lease - he still wanted her name on it to gurantee the place. So if 3yrs later the other guy left for whatever reason, my mum would have to set up shop again.

Smart operator.

Back