South Australia - Things to do

Hi guys,

I have my mother in law visiting us in Adelaide for the next 6 weeks and would really like to show her around. We are also fairly new in Adelaide, only 2 months here.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for things to see, places to go etc. Even if its something as simple as “fish and chip at Brighton Beach” or “having a Stein beer at the German Arms Hotel in Hahndorf”

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Robbie

1. Walk in the beautiful park in North Adelaide to visit the Don Bradman statue.
  2. Tram ride from the CBD to Jetty Rd Glenelg, then walk along the promenade.
  3. Barossa Valley wine tour
  4. Go for a dip in their brand spanking new pool complex at Marion.
  5. Ham hock and stein at Hahndorf for sure.
  6. Pie floater from the van on North Terrace.

Propertunity, we actually doing a wine tour next weekend for my mates 30th :)

Dazz, thanks for ideas.. what did you mean by the van? Is it a restaurant or a van?

Victor Harbor is good.

Most of the River towns are nice, eg Mannum.

Glenelg worth while, fish & chips at Glenelg (bay), Henley or Semaphore.

Visit Penfolds Estate, Barrosa or Clare Valley Winerys

Central Markets.

Dinner anywhere along Gouger St

If you like wine (and you might after having the MIL around for 6 weeks!), head to the Barossa or Clare. Alternatively, the Adelaide Hills have some great cellar doors, like Shaw + Smith, or Bird In Hand.

Henley or Glenelg are nice spots on a warm day like today.

Victor Harbor / Port Elliot are good day trips.

CBD has some nice eating spots, which aren't too expensive. Gouger St, Hutt St or Rundle St have some nice options.

Yes..we got one (trust) :)

Just as Dazz said...

Where is she from? The reason I ask is some people from different countries don't appreciate the same stuff. My relatives come for visits and they would not be interested to see the natures or beaches etc. They prefer shopping.

Try brighton beach, lovely beach, kids can have a little paddling in the water with small crabs and fish.

or pick your own strawberry near Handorf, and try their strawberry shorbet...delicious..

you can try safari...a bit far but you get to see animals close up.

Walk down the river behind the University...gorgeous.

Botanical garden is lovely too. Or japanese garden near south tce.

central market: try the vietnamese food from the food court. Still can't find the equivalent in Sydney.

To see Adelaide from the hills, go to Kensington look out..(off kensington rd).

On the way back, stop by Jacob's creek winery...

I love Adelaide....

You could get her to set up a trust while there - no stamp duty and no vesting date.:rolleyes:

You really know how to show a girl a good time! :)

Harndorf for 'German' Adelaide, Barossa for wines. Cafe's for lunch on the Parade or Unley Rd. Glenelg or Brighton for the beach. Dinners on Gouger.

Essentially you don't come to Adelaide to diet! :p

Lord Mayors lighting of the Christmas tree in Victoria square is next Friday.

Lights of Lobethal should be soon too. (Traffic jam central) I was a tad disappointed with it last time I went however.

http://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/whats_on/

Xmas lights at Lobethal - although ive heard the traffic is horrendous.

Day trip to the hills - lunch at Bridgewater mill, shopping in Hahndorf, visit to Berenberg strawberry farm.

Haighs chocolate factory

Victor Harbor / Port Elliot

McLaren Vale

Our family visits to Adelaide are never complete without a kitchener bun from Balfours and a bung of Fritz.

1. Walk in the beautiful park in North Adelaide to visit the Don Bradman statue.
  2. Tram ride from the CBD to Jetty Rd Glenelg, then walk along the promenade.
  3. Barossa Valley wine tour
  4. Go for a dip in their brand spanking new pool complex at Marion.
  5. Ham hock and stein at Hahndorf for sure.
  6. Pie floater from the van on North Terrace.

This is very good.I would add

Go on the steamranger from Mt Barker to either Victor,Strathalbyn or Bugle ranges.
Take a horse drawn carriage ride to Granite island from the Victor foreshore,Camel rides as well on the beach.
Visit the Birdwood Mill,have to like cars and bikes.
Melbas chocolate factory in Woodside.
Gorge wildlife park,this is real hands on,kids will love it.
Monarto Zoo
Windy Point lookout
Mt Lofty lookout and walking trail
Old Adelaide Jail Tours,MIL can stay overnight in a cell

Last edited:
There's one in Murray Bridge on Saturday nights.

Dunno where else you're going to find a pie floating in pea soup ... covered in sauce :eek:

I could see it doing well there :p.

You'd be surprised, but quite a few pubs and restaurants do them now, with a couple being upmarket ones - they did a write up on them not so long ago.

Bakery On O'Connell however would be the only one that would do them after hours (when they're traditionally eaten) in the city... I would think.

Back