South pacific sea levels data summary report

Topcropper, I would say that the average 0.8C average warming hasn't occurred at those sites. You would need to look at local conditions to understand why. i.e Perth gets cooler winter nights now due to clearer skys. The climate is a complex beast. Are you suggesting that globally it's not getting hotter?

Yes. It appears that the 0.8 degrees of warming hasn't occurred at those 2 sites I used as an example. But those 2 sites are also not used in the official climate change observational sites. Why not? There are hundreds of other sites that could be included? I showed just 2 that are near the Gunnedah site, one is another Gunnedah site, and another is from a nearby town that has a much higher quality and timeframe of info compared to the one that was used, the Gunnedah resource site.

Bigblu. Have a close look at what I posted. I'm asking why some sites have been used in the official dataset of figures that are missing many years of information and may only have 50 or 60 years of info, and other sites with sets of info that include 130 years [or 103 since the Stevenson screen] with no missing info have not been used?

Click on the link that I showed that shows the sites.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/index.shtml#tabs=Tracker&tracker=site-networks

Then have a look at all the other sites that haven't been used that could have been from the climate data online page. I posted up 2 of them just for an example.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/data/index.shtml

I would like to know who decided which sites to use as the climate change observational sites, why they were choosen, [and it's obvious it's nothing to do with years of info or amount of missing info] and when they were choosen?

See ya's.

Last edited:
You would have to ask BOM that. They have a feedback link here:http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/hqsites/about-hq-site-data.shtml

Temperature records come from lots of sources (satellites, ice cores, sediments, written records, SST, etc). I'm not buying that they are all biased. Here's a paper that looks at the reliablility of the terestrial thermometer verses other types. I'm a bit snowed under at work ATM so I haven't had a chance to read it in any detail.

Attachments

• Global warming in an independent record of the past 130 years.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I thought the cold snap had something to do with the North Atlantic Oscillation.

This is one for the conspiracy theorists. $900 million/year is a lot to spend on advertising. Maybe I should get out of property and start a website/write a book.

Quite funny actually, we now have a study to suggest that it is naughty to do exactly the same as the pro CC people have been doing for years.

<<A number of analyses have shown that one major factor driving this misunderstanding and an overall lack of legislative action is a deliberate and organized effort to misdirect the public discussion and distort the public’s understanding of climate change (National Research Council 2011: 35).>>

Which is precisely what the pro CC people have been doing for years.

Me thinks they do protest too much :D

Last edited:
Quite funny actually, we now have a study to suggest that it is naughty to do exactly the same as the pro CC people have been doing for years.

<<A number of analyses have shown that one major factor driving this misunderstanding and an overall lack of legislative action is a deliberate and organized effort to misdirect the public discussion and distort the public?s understanding of climate change (National Research Council 2011: 35).>>

Which precisely what the pro CC people have been doing for years.

Me thinks they do protest too much :D

Great I look forward to reading some of their research then (except they don't do any).

Last edited:
How about answering TC's question, no excuses of lack of time either.

You had plenty of time to reply elsewhere.

Let's have it.

Why is the data cherry picked?

Why is the data cherry picked?
see; this is just another reason why folks such as I scream "BS!, BS!, BS!"

As was said by others - let's have as many data sites as possible.

I remember AB making the statement about the ice levels in Antarctica, and where they were being recorded; on the shoreline practically, where it is up and down like a dunny seat at a party.

But even on that score - let's say you take samples from the dead centre of that Continent....on any given year the levels will vary by several metres - maybe even tens of metres.

Average out that little baby, and get an alarming disaster in the offing, folks.

Last edited:
You would have to ask BOM that. They have a feedback link here:http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/hqsites/about-hq-site-data.shtml

Temperature records come from lots of sources (satellites, ice cores, sediments, written records, SST, etc). I'm not buying that they are all biased. Here's a paper that looks at the reliablility of the terestrial thermometer verses other types. I'm a bit snowed under at work ATM so I haven't had a chance to read it in any detail.

Oh Goody, a link to another independent report!

So this report states in the summary "The global-average time series compiled from 170 temperature-sensitive paleo proxies indicates a significant
warming trend from 1880-1995. Derived from multiple
proxies with global distribution" and "Warming appears to begin around 1800"

Now isn't that just so convenient as 1800 is about the start of the industrial revolution and all those engineers were building hugh steam trains, steam ships and burning coal and pumping tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, right?

WRONG!

Sure the industrial revolution started then but the first steam train and railway line wasn't built until 1825, after global warming had supposedly already started. The amount of CO2 produced until 1900 was minuscule compared to the last 15 years (during which we have had no warming). The first power station wasn't built until 1882 and that wouldn't even power a single modern shopping mall.

What the report fails to mention is that warming has been occurring since the end of the "Little Ice Age".

Just like those stock market spruikers who find a convenient low to start their charts from (like 1988 and 2009) to show that prices always rise so do the warmists to spruik their agenda.

Why don't they start at year 1000, a nice round number which gives a thousand years so plenty of data points, oh silly me, that was the start of the medieval warm period, that data doesn't fit any models so let's discard it!

Mate that's been happening for ever out there. Same here, we are in for some summery weather too. Its bloody summer for gods sake, it's hot!

Stop taking the bait from the media and leave the sensationalism alone. FFS!:rolleyes:

Heatwave coming for the Riverina this week! Temperatures for the next 5 days are expected to be 41, 43, 44, 45, 44.
Deniliquin Forecast

I can only hope this doesn't become 'norm'!
I spent from aged 13 to aged 18 of my teen years living in this town.

Happens every summer without fail.

I worked on the ground staff for a year at the Deni Golf Club (between Year 10 and 11), and in summer we started at 5.30am and worked straight through until 1.00pm so we could finish before it got really hot.

Ouyen (where my sister lived for a few years) is even hotter.

Don't get sucked in by the media, dude.

Yeah I noticed that in the 7 day forcast, reasonably cool nights. Yay! :)

Typical heat waves have stinker nights and getting sleep is a chore.

It seems the average number of days of >40 in Jan is 2.5 or 4.8 days per year. So 5 consecutive days over 40 is definitely not normal for the 'Deniliquin' area. May be it is a bit more common further north.

It seems the average number of days of >40 in Jan is 2.5 or 4.8 days per year. So 5 consecutive days over 40 is definitely not normal for the 'Deniliquin' area. May be it is a bit more common further north.
5 in a row is not "normal" I agree, but if you can be bothered to find a chart that lists all their temps going back in time, I think you'll find they have a shoit load of hot days - many over 30 and 35, and 40.

It's basically a desert up there when you drive around and see what it's like...flat as a shidcarter's hat for as far as you can see.

I guess the point is that if you are thinking this is some sort of sign that the world is about to explode, then I suggest ask all the local farmers around Deni for their opinions on the weather - they'll all say something along the lines of: "Yeah; she's gettin' a bit dry and dusty around here of late, lad - prolly have to give the girls (cows) a bit more feed (hay) this year, and better drink a few more beers....a man's not camel."

And so on.

It's the same here in Melb; next few days are scorchers - but not normal.

On the flip side; I have seen the campers along the foreshore at Rosebud get washed out on several occasions around the Xmas-New Year break. Summer hols indeed.

But; they have all happened before in my lifetime. No panic here.

I remember down here in Melb as a lad of about 11 one summer; lying on the floorboards at night with Mum and Dad (no air con) to try and get cool for a few days on end.

Last edited:
And yet further north to the Central West Slopes and plains and North West Slopes & Plains, only one day at 40deg.

Go figure, I thought people went south for Summer and north for winter.

Looks to be an anomaly in those forecasts.

Best wait and see what actually happens.

A 30 year record hot spell in Canberra.

But a few extreme events in one place don't indicate climate change. Even if it was the hottest week forever in one place, or even in a lot of places around Australia, that by itself does not signify that changes are happening.

However weather events all around the world, over an extended period of time, do indicate that change is happening.

However weather events all around the world, over an extended period of time, do indicate that change is happening.

Just curious what you mean by change.

Considering the warming stopped 17 years ago (oceans for the last 8), could it be we are seeing the beginning of a cooling period??

Some crazy cold weather happening although nowhere near as freezing as the little ice age where the Thames would freeze over every winter - which btw followed the Medieval warming Period where crops grew in Greenland!

Some scientist are saying cooling could very well happen based on the pattern of recent fluctuations 1882 - 1910 Cooling, 1910 - 1944 Warming, 1944 - 1975 Cooling, 1975 - 1997 Warming... and 1998 - 2014 ?Climate Change.

Note too that as climate change existed before human emissions rose significantly, it could very well be the 'assumption' that man made CO2 creates warming is wrong.

Last edited:
A 30 year record hot spell in Canberra.

Geoff, I can't see anything exceptional about Canberra's weather lately? Even the January maximum is running just a fraction above average so far, 28.8 compared to an average of 28.1.

Or is it predicted to be a 30 year record coming up? Some hot days for sure, but you've got magnificent cool nights on the way, average of about 15 to 17 degrees?

See ya's.

That's predicted, with five days in a row above 35. However the record was something I heard on TV and haven't been able to corroborate the record. Apprently five days per year above 35 is the norm- but there were five days above 35 last year and in 2009.

I measure climate by the MWWI index. That's the Mrs W's Whinge Index. Every day she complains that it's far too hot increments the index by 1. Normally Canberra is about a 5-9 on this scale. Sydney is about 25 so I don't think we'd ever live there. Brisbane is way higher.

I don't know how Melbourne rates on this scale.

Mexico City, where she comes from, is in the tropics but at a very high altitude so there's not the extremes of temperature. Only extreme pollution.

Back