Speed fine - anyone experienced it?

You won't be recieving anything from the courts, the courts are not a reminder service. If you have elected something to go to court, it is the SDR0 that issue you with what is called a "court attendance notice". If you have not recieved this and its been over a month, you need to call them to confirm that they have recieved you election form. - Thats for NSW. Don't know what state you are in....

Like Ausprop, I think he means he hasn't received his fine or whatever yet sine being pulled over.

Don't worry... it will come

Like Ausprop, I think he means he hasn't received his fine or whatever yet sine being pulled over.

Don't worry... it will come

I understand what Ausprop is saying, what i am trying to say is their are countless amount of times where people come before the court on a drive whilst suspended not aware of that infact they are suspeneded. Why has their licence been suspended? one reason being due to unpaid fines, did not receive it in the mail after x months and did not bother to chase it up. Mistakes happen, mail goes missing etc.... I suggest you chase it up or you may find yourself in an similar situation. Don't just assume it hasnt been processed because you have not recieved it. Thats my 2 cents anyway...

I understand what Ausprop is saying, what i am trying to say is their are countless amount of times where people come before the court on a drive whilst suspended not aware of that infact they are suspeneded. Why has their licence been suspended? one reason being due to unpaid fines, did not receive it in the mail after x months and did not bother to chase it up. Mistakes happen, mail goes missing etc.... I suggest you chase it up or you may find yourself in an similar situation. Don't just assume it hasnt been processed because you have not recieved it. Thats my 2 cents anyway...

they are supposed to let you know that your license is suspended via letter, and usually they send several

so unless they have the wrong address, it's hard to actually not know your license is suspended.

if they didn't send any letters notifying you, then any lawyer with half a brain should be able to prove you not guilty. that's why most of such mail goes via registered mail

they are supposed to let you know that your license is suspended via letter, and usually they send several

so unless they have the wrong address, it's hard to actually not know your license is suspended.

if they didn't send any letters notifying you, then any lawyer with half a brain should be able to prove you not guilty. that's why most of such mail goes via registered mail

Your incorrect fact is you were suspended, you did drive whilst suspended and therefore you are guilty. Not knowing you were suspended is not an defence. Any lawyer who stands up in court and trys to enter a plea of not guilty for their client will no doubt be torn to shreads by the magistrate for wasting court time. Such mail does not go by registered post and i assure you mistakes often happen.

Your incorrect fact is you were suspended, you did drive whilst suspended and therefore you are guilty. Not knowing you were suspended is not an defence. Any lawyer who stands up in court and trys to enter a plea of not guilty for their client will no doubt be torn to shreads by the magistrate for wasting court time. Such mail does not go by registered post and i assure you mistakes often happen.
i suggest you read ROAD TRANSPORT (DRIVER LICENSING) ACT 1998 - SECT 16
and also ROAD TRANSPORT (DRIVER LICENSING) ACT 1998 - SECT 33
if the notice wasn't given, and prosecutor cannot produce it in court, then the license wasn't suspended, hence there is no guilt

i suggest you read ROAD TRANSPORT (DRIVER LICENSING) ACT 1998 - SECT 16
and also ROAD TRANSPORT (DRIVER LICENSING) ACT 1998 - SECT 33
if the notice wasn't given, and prosecutor cannot produce it in court, then the license wasn't suspended, hence there is no guilt

Im not here to argue. I know what the lesgislation saids.

Last edited:
it's 'says' ;)

i think we are talking about two different scenarios
you are talking about the one where the notice was sent but not received, and i'm talking about the one where it wasn't sent at all.

In order to have your licence suspended, it has to be proven that you received the initial suspension notice, and you have to hand your licence in. And I know this is the case in SA because a family member SHOULD have had her licence suspended but she has not received the suspension notice 8 months later. Her father contacted the Licencing people and said that UNTIL the letter had been confirmed as received, and the licence had been handed in, the disqualification period did not start.

I'd ring 'em up, tell 'em you've changed your mind and can you pay over the phone via credit card...

The facts don't seem to me to stack up here. Unless there is actual evidence that the cops got it wrong, I think it's a lost cause.

Sometimes these things happen.

Only been caught speeding once about 10 years ago in a 110 zone just past Albury heading to Melbourne. The police told me to stay below 120 and I should be ok. I think the rules have become a bit stricter now.

These days I do my speeding around Lakeside Raceway where I can hit close to 200kmph without worrying about speeding fines.

On the road I usually turn on the cruise control and avoid fines.

Hi,

I could not find any other forum talking about speed fine. I am sorry to put it here.

I got a speed fine by an unmarked car (probably has radar mounted in it). I was not aware I was speeding. After passing a small intersection (after 2km where was supposed I sped), they put the siren on and stopped me and told me I did 102km in 70km - 700$ + 5points.

I really want to challenge it.

Do anyone have experience in challenging the police? what the consequence?

Many thanks.
Has anything come of the challenge?

Back