Speed fine - anyone experienced it?

The Analyst.

You are wasting the government's resources, and my tax dollars.

Learn from the incident and accept responsibility for your actions.

I hope that you are not the type of person who complains that Police should find better things to do. While Police compile your brief of evidence and sit at court, they will not be finding "better things to do."

Harsh, but true. I hope that your workplace is a more pleasant environment than that of the Police Officers who issued you with this infringement notice.

Stick to investing, as it is more fun and tax deductible.

try www.aussiespeedingfines.com or .au

excellent for getting out of fines.

Are you speaking from experience?

The site I've cited rubbishes this cite. It would be interesting to know if you, or anybody else, actually have good experiences.

I've known two people, over 30 years, who have challenged speeding fines in the court.

One person was caught while on his way to challenge a speeding fine. That was many years ago. The initial challenge was thrown out, the fine upheld, and he had to pay costs. But the second fine, which was much more severe because it was a second offence (Under laws then the penalties for the second offence were much higher) was downgraded because at the time of the second offence he had not actually been convicted of the first offence.

But this guy was a training lawyer (at the time) and a brilliant guy. He went on become a national TV talk show host for a few years.

The other person thought that he had a great defence, and defended himself. It was a new car, on its trial run, and very quiet.

That one was thrown out of court immediately. Fine still stood, plus court costs.

If TheAnalyst had the same offence on Victoria, it would have been a one month licence suspension

The site I've cited rubbishes this cite. It would be interesting to know if you, or anybody else, actually have good experiences.

if you go to that site with .com.au it actually rubbishes the site you cited :D

although i do have to question some of the things they say on their site, especially around fines affecting your insurance - as far as i know - complete rubbish

Is it your first ever ticket?

My wife got done by a speed camera, it was her first offense in over 10 years of driving. I wrote a cheque for the fine but with it posted a letter on her behalf saying this was the first offense in over 10 years and barring this what a perfect driving record she has and asked them to respectfully consider her excellent driving record, blah blah blah. Guess what? they sent the cheque back.

It was great spending a few minutes to type a letter and saving a few hundred dollars....I tried it again the second time she got booked about 2 years later but it didn't work.....

Ok you asked, but feel free to ignore me, Please*.

I have contested a fine..... Once.

I was an indignant 18 year old, under the illusion that I was a better driver than most etc etc... usual arrogance that accompanies these types of claims. A fair while back now so maybe irrelevant.

The result: It was pointed out to me in no uncertain terms that I was wasting everyone' s time, the fine was doubled and court costs of $50 was added, at the time I was earning $150 per week so a fair amount relatively speaking. The whole process seemed to take about 30 seconds.

Since then I have been pinged twice for less than 10k over, paid up both times so average of 1 fine per decade, I guess I learnt my lesson.

*Can't wait to hear how you go, I'm always appreciative of a good laugh.

Cheers,
Beef.

I was once caught doing 126km/h in a 70km/h zone while having a BAC of .08 on a motorbike :eek: I knew i was rooted and i'd lose my license for awhile due to previous stuff so i hired the best lawyer in town. In court i wore a suit, spoke very eloquently and explained what a great guy i was and presented 5 character references from influential people in the community.

It seemed to do the trick because the magistrate said he'd normally have suspended my licence for 14mths but because i had given so much to the community in the past i only lost it for 6mths with a $500 fine. I needed my licence for work so instead of sitting around the house i went o'seas for 6mths where i could rent motorbikes and have some fun :)

My point is it seems you have 2 choices:
1) admit you did it but try and get a less severe penalty by dressing well, being polite and providing character references saying how out of character this event was.
2) deny you did it and state their equipment was not callibrated or it was used in such a way that it gave a false reading.

Good luck with it and i hope you report back the outcome.

Last edited:
For those interested,

I lodged objection to the infringement a week ago in a registered mail.

I can not wait for the hearing - actually excited.

something on speed limits, might be of interest to supporters of 'speeding kills' slogan:

http://www.motorists.org/pressreleases/home/montana-no-speed-limit-safety-paradox/
I think so
speed limit = Must drive at this speed despite whether its raining, icy(here) dark, dusstorm, round a hairpin bend.
people speed up on mountain roads to the speed limit posted when before the sign they were frightened and driving 40km /hr
something like 'sign says it, must be safe'

I don't think that story I applicable here- even if it was true (which I don't doubt, coming from such a reputable news source).

That story was about laser guns. This story is about being followed by a police car using a speedo.

Ditto earlier post

I was an indignant 23 year old law student, under the illusion that I was not negligent in a negligent drive cause accident fine... usual arrogance that accompanies these types of claims. A fair while back now so maybe irrelevant.

The result: It was pointed out to me in no uncertain terms that I was wasting everyone' s time, the fine was doubled and court costs of $50 was added, at the time I was earning $100 per week so a fair amount relatively speaking. The whole process seemed to take about 30 seconds.

Hi,

I could not find any other forum talking about speed fine. I am sorry to put it here.

I got a speed fine by an unmarked car (probably has radar mounted in it). I was not aware I was speeding. After passing a small intersection (after 2km where was supposed I sped), they put the siren on and stopped me and told me I did 102km in 70km - 700$ + 5points.

I really want to challenge it.

Do anyone have experience in challenging the police? what the consequence?

Many thanks.

ok so lets say you challenge it, will you represent yourself? or get a solicitor? Is paying thousands of dollars for a solicitor really worth a speeding fine?

It is the prosecution that have to prove the matter beyond reasonable dobut, you do not have to prove anything. Yes they will more then likely have incar video footage. Yes it will be viewed in court.

I was not aware I was speeding - That is not a defence.

You can take it to court and plea Not guilty, it will not be heard on the first court date. The matter will be adjourned when the court has time to hear your matter. The police officer/officers will give their side of events, then you will get a chance to give your version.

If your found guilty, its up to the magistrate what penalty they impose - and it all depends on what type of traffic record you have. They can also impose court costs.

If you are worried about demerit points, I will tell you now, magistrates have no discretion in realtion to demerit points. This is a matter for the RTA. They are a law to themsleves. The only way you won't get demerit points is if your matter is DISMISSED BY WAY 0F BEING F0UND N0T GUILTY AFTER HEARING.

Here's an interersting senario - Faulty speedo - you get pulled over doing 100km/h in and 80km/h zone. your speedo was reading you were doing 80km/h. You get your speedo checked, found out it was faulty. You take it to court and plea not guilty. you will be found not guilty. This too is not an defence because you were infact speeding regardless of the fact that you were not aware of the fact thatg your speedo was faulty.

Anyway Goodlkuck..

Thanks. I have said I knew the speed limit 70km. If they told me I was 80km or something. I would be happy to accept. But they told 102km which made me want to challenge. All I want to know, how much is the court cost if you can advise thanks.

In NSW it's $76, Call up your local court house and ask what it is.

It is the prosecution that have to prove the matter beyond reasonable dobut, you do not have to prove anything. Yes they will more then likely have incar video footage. Yes it will be viewed in court.

civil offenses (that's what speeding ticket is) don't have to be proven beyond reasonable doubt, they are decided on balance of probabilities

it's criminal offenses where prosecution has to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt

Back