Spiral staircases

Are spiral staircases considered a hazard? If i rent the property out and someone falls down the spiral staircase, am I liable? How is this different from someone falling down a normal staircase?

Any stairs I would think would be a potential "hazard".

And yes, you MAY be liable if a tenant falls down the stairs, so make sure you have liability insurance just in case of the unlikely case that a tenant tries to sue you because of their own stupidity.

Thanks.

Sounds really silly, tenant sues me for falling down the stairs, shouldn't they be sueing the builder for putting it there in the first place?

as long as it complies with the building code of aust i dont see how you could be sued for an injury on a spiral stair.. but if its non complaint then yes you could be wide open for liability

as long as it complies with the building code of aust i dont see how you could be sued for an injury on a spiral stair.. but if its non complaint then yes you could be wide open for liability
You would be amazed by what claims a tenant will take to tribunal and how much they can potentially get away with. As a landlord you should have liability insurance any way, would also get the stairs checked that they are to code. :)

Read an article at work recently about how Telstra copped a big fine/compo claim under OHS laws. An employee working from home (yes, their own home) fell down their own stairs TWICE and Telstra was found liable for not ensuring the work place was safe.

Unfortunately common sense doesn't always prevail, but all you can do is have adequate insurance and make sure the stairs are in good repair and compliant.

Read an article at work recently about how Telstra copped a big fine/compo claim under OHS laws. An employee working from home (yes, their own home) fell down their own stairs TWICE and Telstra was found liable for not ensuring the work place was safe.

Unfortunately common sense doesn't always prevail, but all you can do is have adequate insurance and make sure the stairs are in good repair and compliant.

I don't know if it was the same thing I read, but it was a woman employee working from home, wearing SOCK and heading to her kitchen (for a snack?) when she slipped.

I didn't read whether she won her claim, but if so, that is truly scary stuff.

I don't know if it was the same thing I read, but it was a woman employee working from home, wearing SOCK and heading to her kitchen (for a snack?) when she slipped.

I didn't read whether she won her claim, but if so, that is truly scary stuff.

Yep, that's the one Wylie. Unbelievable! What judge would rule against a company on that? I'm sure she wouldn't have gotten away with not wearing shoes at work. Surely the same rules apply at home? Insanity!

I know that spiral staircases can put off buyers, so I guess they could put off potential tenants as well. Not an answer about liability, however another reason to think twice before installing one.

Just use common sense in selecting your tenants if that staircase is the only means of transit. My friend rents a narrow 3 level townhouse with a spiral staircase. It doesn't bother them as they are young and fit and can find creative ways of moving furniture between the levels.

Back