Stamp collections

Contents

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 73
I've never heard that? I heard that auspost is struggling to keep up with demand resulting from online orders and they have never had it better - being a monopoly they have been able to reduce service commitments and increase prices.

the next logical step would be a banking licence. then list and it's pay day for the govt.

give it 10 years and create a new bank all over again

No, many posties have been retrenched / made redundant. They are even talking about deliveries being made second or third daily due to reduced volume of mail. With regards to the online orders, it doesnt compensate for the reduction in normal mail volume. Furthermore, it is just as easy to direct the recipient to a collection centre for bulky items wherein a human may not necessarily be required to be present.

like all low value items they just aren't worth selling, so throw it in the cupboard with everything else and hope that one of them may be worth $1000 one day

I was kidding about the selling. We have a fairly decent footy related collection, ranging from hundreds of ancient budgets, to an early last century hand painted premiers and medalist board, to lots of signed photographs of famous dead people, and much more, but none of it is for it's monetary value.

I've never heard that? I heard that auspost is struggling to keep up with demand resulting from online orders and they have never had it better - being a monopoly they have been able to reduce service commitments and increase prices.

the next logical step would be a banking licence. then list and it's pay day for the govt.

They are currently doing redundancies for excess workforce, still a profitable business IMO.

No, many posties have been retrenched / made redundant. They are even talking about deliveries being made second or third daily due to reduced volume of mail. With regards to the online orders, it doesnt compensate for the reduction in normal mail volume. Furthermore, it is just as easy to direct the recipient to a collection centre for bulky items wherein a human may not necessarily be required to be present.

Just wait 'til people can buy products online and have the plans sent instantly to their desktop 3d printer which will begin making it. This, combined with the current dematerialisation of vast categories of items (DVDs, CDs, books etc) leads to one conclusion.

The freight industry is on borrowed time.

The days of the "postie" are numbered, all over the world.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10801670

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-mail/8396581/Thousands-of-Royal-Mail-jobs-go.html

Technology, in particular email, has replaced the human. A bit like the telegraph man, the milk man, the chimney sweeper, etc.

I don't think it's particularly that though. I thInk they'll be cutting out the middleman/admin more than anything.

Last edited:
Just wait 'til people can buy products online and have the plans sent instantly to their desktop 3d printer which will begin making it. This, combined with the current dematerialisation of vast categories of items (DVDs, CDs, books etc) leads to one conclusion.

The freight industry is on borrowed time.

Yep, just an hour ago, went on to amazon.com and bought a book, paid by amex and had it delivered electronically and immediately to my smartphone Kindle. No human involved at all.

I think the few industries that will strongly survive: food retailers, healthcare providers and IT professionals.

I think Aust Post franchises are struggling. We watched A-Pac a few weeks ago where several owners were trying to explain to various ministers how they are actually losing money, working second jobs to keep the post office open. It seemed a big problem.

One of the big gripes was that the number of packages has increased tenfold with internet purchasing, but they get nothing more for the hours needed each day to handle the packages.

It was a very interesting show, and I had no idea so many of these businesses are doing it so tough.

Back on topic
I guess stamps are like antiques they are only worth what some is willing to pay for them

I have a shed full of antiques I'm told are worth a small fortune but I cannot give them away

I know a fellow that has an extremely rare and very valuable stamp collection that he is trying to sell to buy a business 3 years later business is still for sale and he still has His stamps

I have some fairly valuable stamps and have some interest in old Roos and KGV heads, so pre late 30's. I developed the interest from my long dead gf. I have an imprint block of 5-/ harbor bridge with a retail of 000's - it would still bring large coin at an auction but not the book value. Auction prices are about 40+% of book value but for a scarce item can frequently go far beyond. You'd be amazed at what peolpe will pay for rare old australian stamps. Must be muh, well centered, nice perfs but all that can be forged.

99% of collections are worthless .

When you say 'mint' are you saying unpostmarked, or postmarked in perfect condition?

either the ones never sent/postmarked, or postmarked to a special occasion by post office, never sent.

the ones you peel off the envelope have the least value, but will still be valuable if it's really rare stamp.
i'd keep it, in a 100-200 years your descendants might get a good buck for them.

99% of collections are worthless .

I went through this early last year with the 'family' stamp collections.
basically was told that any stamps pre-WW2 in good condition are generally worth something as they are rarer. Post-WW2 there is generally plenty around (with a few exceptions) as almost every kid had a stamp collection and Aus post were pumping the stamps out by the millions.
The advice I had was to use up the decimal stamps on postage...

It would be helpful if at least some of those scanned images were of stamps ;)

Sorry, got sidetracked.

Here's a couple. Only gone through one album. Most are 70s and 80's.

Here's a few half interesting. Just noticed after taking pic the first is discoloured on some stamps.

It is from a period when it cost 5c for first oz to post letter or postcard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 46
Back