Stay away from Western Sydney?

Dear All,

1. It was reported in the same Telegraph Newspapers today that the Neslon Pde area is contaminated with some 1000 tonnes of toxic waste, which is slowly decaying away.

2. The "radioactive gamma rays, more than 20 times the recommended safe levels, were detected at the site just last week."

3. Can the relevant members staying in this/around this suburb, please confirm/disconfirm for us where neccessary, please.

4. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

"Waste plan a mess

IN lovely Hunters Hill, one of Sydney's desirable waterfront residential suburbs, there's a foul thing buried in a suburban grave.

But now, like something rotten, it's rising to the surface. It's dirty and dangerous - deadly even - and it can be ignored no longer.

Hidden under the topsoil of a block in leafy Nelson Pde, an estimated 1000 tonnes of radioactive waste is slowly decaying, giving off its dangerous emissions in the process.

Radioactive gamma rays, more than 20 times the recommended safe levels, were detected at the site just last week.

The State Government, we are told, has a plan - dig up the waste and ship it out to a western Sydney tip so the multi-million dollar property can be sold for a handsome profit.

So that's all to the good - at least for the people of Hunters Hill. But what about the people into whose back yards this dangerous stuff is now about to be deposited?

In truth, the Government has not said how the material is to be collected, how - or even if - it is to be transported, where it is to be taken.

But that's really the point. Surely we are all entitled to know what plans have been drawn up to rehabilitate this site.

And we're entitled to know now. The Government has known about this dump for more than 30 years. In this instance, surely the community's safety should take precedence over profit."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23123126-5001031,00.html

I think there's good levels of growth in the west, particularly Penrith and surrounds. lenovo has mentioned it - Penrith with a 15% increase, and a lot of business heading to Parramatta for cheaper overheads.

Let's face it; there's work in the west, and the CBD commute isn't seen as that bad (considering the packed trains I get in the morning from Blue Mountains!). Prices are cheap, and as the suburbs sprawl land value increases are likely. I own in lower mountains and even there we're seeing prices go up.

Last edited:
I've heard it's going to a tip in Penrith area (Castlereagh)

yes, they've mentioned the safe storage facility in Castlereagh.
IMO the media are over reacting, the contaminated soil has been near houses
for so many years and to get a reading the measuring instruments have to get very close to it, so securing it underground is the way to go.

Cheers

Back