Stock Central - No More

For those of us who used to frequent what used to be the best share Site in Australia, it is sad to note that Stock Central is no more.

See Change

see_change

What's happened to it??

I used to frequent it occasionally.

You sure it's not simply "down" for the time being?

wombat

Yes. I had just (I mean about a week ago) discovered Stock Central and had asked one question. I got lots of answers but because of a technical problem, couldn't read any further than the 3rd reply and then .... the whole site was gone! I thought they may have been just fixing up the technical problem.

Now I know.

If anyone knows of other share trading sites that are any good could you let me know. I would appreciate it.

Robyne

Hi See-change
I looked at the site you mentioned.
Interesting reading.!!
Unfortunately, I don't know much about shares (only about my Super going backwards - but I'm working on that )
Got to start learning more, but I lke the comments from tech/a in particular -

"CONTENT!!

Your very right reflection on how and what it is your trying to achieve in a reply or on a topic can and will go a long way to improved content.
But sadly many here havent travelled much of lifes journey and this will/is foreign to them as they battle to define their place in the grand scheme of things.

Ive learnt as much from those who know nothing as those who know much!------As I as I am now able to clearly identify the two!
john"

Can't see this forum going in the same direction, but wouldn't it be a loss if it did. It seems to me there are too many genuine moderators/controllers/regulars, to go down the same path.
BTW Did that site have as many topic locations as this one ?

jahn

Jahn

The main difference between this site and Stock Central , is that the Owner of Stock Central was trying to work out how to make money from a web site, while that is not the main motivation from the Somers ( as far as I understand )

There were as many dedicated moderators etc there as there are here.

At it's peak , Stock Central was as good as someroft

See Change

Last edited:
I heard rumours once that there were interested buyers for this site- I've no idea if that was true.

I think I am with most members of this forum in being very thankful to Ian and Jan Somers for their continuing financial support to this forum.

And, by the way, I did once object to an animated gif announcing Jan's seminars- but I was disappointed to miss out on a presentation from Jan in Canberra. I only objected to the animation- especially as it may have drawn attention at the one time when I have accessed the forum from my workplace (during lunchtime).

Geoff

As far as I know , one prominent member did offer to buy Somersoft off Jan and Ian. How serious that was I don't know, but we're probably talking about the same person.

See Change

Not for the sake of rumours- but for the sake of showing how committed Jan and Ian are to the forum.

Muchos kudos Jan and Ian!

Thanks Macca, I have had a brief look at both of these sites and they look good. I have tried shares.com but I found it to be fairly quiet.

I am getting a bit short tempered with my shares to be honest.

I Bought one property two years ago and made 30% in the first year. I bought another one and made 20% on that in my second year of property investing as well as another 20% on the first one give or take 10% I may loose with an expected flattening of the market if I were to sell this coming year. Still good gains over all even if I did sell this coming year, which I won't.

Although I did research before buying my properties I can do some things better and will do so next time.

Shares, lots and lots of reading and research. Then some more. And still loose money. Make a bit just a bit and then loose it again over night.

I have learnt so much from this forum and am keen to find a shares forum to learn from. I really appreciate you letting know about these two sites.

Thanks

Robyne

I had seen things falling apart a little though still am very surprised to see them just pull the plug. I got the feeling there was a fair amount of expansion & big plans during the boom and then perhaps he lost heart with the slump. I read also he lost Daryl Guppy recently which would have been a big loss.

Really though a site like stockcentral should be profitable to run with a moderate amount of advertising, generally the only expense for a forum would be hosting + some software fees and at the prices hosting costs these days he could run a site as big as that it for $30 per month if he wanted. Hosting bandwidth costs next to nothing nowdays.

btw: I run a small sharemarket forum at http://shares.com.au please say hello if you are interested :)

Originally posted by see_change
Jahn

The main difference between this site and Stock Central , is that the Owner of Stock Central was trying to work out how to make money from a web site, while that is not the main motivation from the Somers ( as far as I understand )

See Change

Always a tricky one, but someone's got to pay for the servers and the bandwidth.

The Somersoft Community is extremely fortunate to have Jan and Ian sponsoring this place, and to have such diligent moderators volunteering their time. Most forums need to have money coming in from their community to remain in existence, and it's unfortunate that most user's don't want to pay for it.

Most resort to selling advertising space, some are subscription only and others are supported by other products.

It's always a challenge.

All those share forums and the best one has been totally missed. Its Stockcentrals sister site http://www.tradersnetwork.org/, many of the posters migrated there before SC blew up. Yes it’s a pay site, but you get free evaluation period to make up your own mind. I have no association with the site other than being a happy member.

GB

Back