Stock market crash?

I'm hearing rumours of a stock market crash on the DOW on the Thursday the 23rd of September 2010 trading day (next Thursday night/Friday morning).

Anyone heard anything about this?

thats such an odd thing to say , isn't it the end of the world on that day!!.... OH no thats right. sorry its thursday week , :D

from the book of nostradamus' sonnets - "oh golden numbers big and bold defy the empire of the star spangled banner, dreaded be he who pens the naughts on the ninth month of ten and sum of seventeeneth". Can't believe you guys can't see it, that old bloke can

October is a sell month. Always has been, always will be (past performance no guarantee of future results).

i would have said yes two years ago - but it's certainly top-heavy at present - due for a sell down.

October is a sell month. Always has been, always will be (past performance no guarantee of future results).

i would have said yes two years ago - but it's certainly top-heavy at present - due for a sell down.

would you be able to explain for us numptys why its a sell month?

next week is probably a bit early. october is certainly lining up for a 5% pullback based on TA.

the big uncertainty is US QE2, which will boost the Dow. No one knows the timeline or details yet. Presume Obama wants to see further weakening in US data before committing, but it is coasting along.

z

ta

from the book of nostradamus' sonnets - "oh golden numbers big and bold defy the empire of the star spangled banner, dreaded be he who pens the naughts on the ninth month of ten and sum of seventeeneth". Can't believe you guys can't see it, that old bloke can

wouldn't that have been yesterday?
I think the October thing almost becomes self-fulfilling. It has happened so many times that people get nervous and start to sell which then has a snowball effect. defy it at your own peril!!!!:D

October: This is one of the particularly dangerous months to invest in stocks. Other dangerous months are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February. — Mark Twain

(Just added for a bit of a laugh) :)

And i thought it was very funny!:D

September is actually statiscally the worst month for the market. October is just thought of alot because of the two big crashes said above (and it's the 2nd worst month).

October: This is one of the particularly dangerous months to invest in stocks. Other dangerous months are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February. — Mark Twain

(Just added for a bit of a laugh) :)

Love it - still laughing!

I've personally backtested a stinkload of indicator ideas for their reliability, including month of the year and just about every indicator you care to mention. The guts of it is I wouldn't be basing a system around these, they are not relible indicators on their own.

If for example it was 70% reliable that Oct would be a downer, then the smart traders would load up on shorts in the last week of Sept, then buy them back during the Oct selling, that buying would end in an up month for October. Hence the reason why it's not 70% reliable.

Same goes for most of the indicators you can think of.

I've personally backtested a stinkload of indicator ideas for their reliability, including month of the year and just about every indicator you care to mention. The guts of it is I wouldn't be basing a system around these, they are not relible indicators on their own.

If for example it was 70% reliable that Oct would be a downer, then the smart traders would load up on shorts in the last week of Sept, then buy them back during the Oct selling, that buying would end in an up month for October. Hence the reason why it's not 70% reliable.

i took my put back in aug - was SO cheap.

looking for another.

This is the problem I have with TA. A lot of the basics makes sense, but ther are manipulators out there who understand it too and will push prices over a tipping point and shake out believers.

In fact I don't like any of the "rules or wisdoms" of share trading so maybe Bay View is right and shares are all a big gamble, just like property, bonds, art and bank notes. LOL

there are no rules anywhere, Mr Fish.

just socially accepted ideals that form the basis for general decision making.

even laws are ever-changing ideals.

to quote the joker - "only when you understand chaos, can you create order".

so to move away from philosophy, there are generally accepted 'norms' in any market that one needs to understand to have a reasonable measure of risk in any given position.

if we were all philosophers, we'd all be high on thinking and risk averse.

there are generally accepted 'norms'

"Norms", "rules", call them what you like but sometimes it is good sense to average down, other times you ignore stop losses. I DO accept the general idea of cutting short losses and letting winners run.

I guess I fly by the seat of my pants. LOL

Back